Sponsored by:

My Kid Ratted Me Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Kid Ratted Me Out

The notion of me buying a 911 has surprisingly and for reasons not understood by me caused some friction with a small number of people in my social/familial circle, some of whom have no idea what my finances are, so I have tried to keep a low profile since ordering my C2S. I won't be getting the car for a couple of months still, but I have begun quietly making preparations by ordering a Garmin Nuvi and a suitable booster seat for my 6yo, etc. My in-laws seemed to have a bigger problem with the car than anyone else, so they don't even know that I've ordered the car, period, or at least they didn't. My new sporty looking Britax Parkway booster seat arrived at the house the other day, and I quickly opened the box and let my son try it out in the floor to see if he liked it. I left the room and moved on to something else. Not ten minutes later, my in-laws stopped by for an unannounced visit. From the next room, I could hear my son proclaim "MAMAW AND POPPY - LOOK AT THE NEW "RACING SEAT" DAD GOT ME FOR OUR NEW PORSCHE - WE'RE GONNA GET ALL THOSE MUSTANGS!". I seem to recall referring to it as a racing seat to him in fun, but I have never vowed to "get the Mustangs". The silence in the room was deafening. I never told him to keep it on the down low, so I can't fuss at him, but he didn't make my life any easier for the near term. I've also had it out with my brother recently when he called me a "tight ***" for leaving an 18% tip for a waitress at Chili's, which somehow astonished him considering that I was "buying a G.D. Porsche". He is one of those self-righteous ex-waiters that thinks everyone should leave their wallet and watch on the table at the end of the meal. I just don't get the Porsche comment he made. I once thought it was crazy to "hide" these cars and to not discuss the fact that you own one in certain circles, but I'm starting to get it, and I think it is sad. Here is a picture of my new "racing seat".

Old 01-23-2008, 05:27 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Default Marty, I feel your pain

In a recent conversation with my Lawyer we came to the conclusion that most people hate people that drive Porsche's. I feel that it isn't because we drive lick A$$holes, it is simply due to the fact that other people are envious of Porsche Drivers. Recently my brother was driving one of my cars and it broke down on him (due to a mistake that a mechanic made, easy fix) and they were making fun of him on the traffic report as well, nobody would even help get him off to the side of road. If he were in his car, I am sure that things would be different.

I enjoy taking my son out in my car, he is 4 and already gets excited when he goes for a ride, I am sure that your son will be the same way. Enjoy the car, and who cares what other people say.

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that drive a Porsche, and those that want to drive one!
Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this. I can relate to the desire to "downplay" it. In our case, almost nobody outside our family knows about it- the exceptions being one of my friends who is a car-person (and "gets it") and some of my brother's friends. No employees know, and none of the people I do business with know (except for the car person). It's too bad- I want them to know because it brings joy to my life and I like sharing these things, but I do know others may take it the wrong way.

My neighbors know, but we downplay it tremendously. But word of it got around my family, and I found myself a bit embarrassed as I explained it to them. They are all supportive, or if they aren't they don't tell me.

Some of my wife's family knows. "As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, it's fine." They lived through a civil war (Lebanon) and have learned you must enjoy life when you can and not dwell on silly things.

I guess with your son this is an opportunity to teach him about being discreet. If I had other family members that were jealous like that I'd just talk about it as if it were any other car, and know that I have zero responsibility for their emotions.

And when your car comes- Just enjoy it!
Old 01-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

ENJOY your P.Car. Don't listen to ANYBODYS opinion, especially the in-laws. They're not the one's owning/enjoying the car.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

marty, i've had my 07 c2s for over 1 week now and i understand what you're saying. for example, my younger sister and brother in law were in town so i took them, my parents, my real estate attorney and his wife, and a couple family friends out to a 9 course chinese dinner.

fast forward a couple days when i'm having dim sum with my parents and sister at a different restaurant. that restaurant advertised a 10 course dinner which was $50 less than the bill was from the previous chinese restaurant, offered 1 additional course, and included lobster. when i made a comment on this my father asked why i was complaining about a difference of $50 since i owned a 911 and i guess in his mind should not care about a frivolous amount of money like $50.

my older sister recently celebrated her birthday this past week and i got her a pair of roxy ski goggles from an online site. i guess the price tag was left on and my younger sister and older sister both commented on me spending only $55 for a birthday present. again with a backhanded "what's up with that since you own a 911?" comment. i guess the amount of money i spend on gifts should magically increase now that i drive a p-car.

really, what's up with that? is that the assumption others are continually going to make going forward? i'm not going to hide my pride in ownership of this beautiful automobile. does the fact that i'm still in my early 30s create a bigger problem? i mean it's all my hard earned money so wtf?

anyways, just saying you aren't alone marty
Old 01-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ignore the haters and enjoy your car.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by surfer
when i made a comment on this my father asked why i was complaining about a difference of $50 since i owned a 911 and i guess in his mind should not care about a frivolous amount of money like $50.

my younger sister and older sister both commented on me spending only $55 for a birthday present. again with a backhanded "what's up with that since you own a 911?" comment.
Surfer, in a sad sort of way, your story makes me feel better. I guess there really is a phenomenon here tied perhaps to jealousy, envy or just plain contempt for such conspicuous consumption, as some may perceive it. What really gets me is that my father in law has owned a sixty something Vette and no less than half a dozen new Benz's over the years, including several S class cars. He has a new E class and a brand new Yukon Denali right now, and he is not loaded to the best of my knowledge. Apparently what is good for the goose is not good for . . . his son-in-law.

My sister and her husband are hippies to the max. They virtually live like early American settlers and always camp or sleep at rest stops when they travel. They rock climb, bike, run marathons, and video boat and guide some of the toughest whitewater in the country. My sister is in med school and her husband is almost an anesthitist. When my father bought a Boxster, they did not want to get anywhere near it - would not even sit in it. In fact, my sister simply said - "hope you don't get killed in it." She has spent the night on a freaking sleep ledge while climbing El Capitan, kayaked some of the most difficult whitewater in the world, including the Colorado River, the Upper Gauley hundreds of times and some river in Costa Rica, traveled the wilderness of Alaska, and just returned from Ecuador where they were forecasting an imminent major volcano eruption. Sorry, but the mentality pisses me off. They don't mind spending all of their savings to travel, but apparently German sports cars are UNACCEPTABLE. Needless to say, she has absolutely no idea I have ordered a P-car. She lives out of state, but I am inclined to keep it garaged when she visits so I don't get the stink eye.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
tkids
Pro

I know exactly how you feel. When my parents bought a used beater of a Porsche when I was in High school, I became the Anti-Christ! When I purchased my 06 C4S the inlaws started whispering, but I lucked out, my wipper snapper brother-in-law (no blood relation to my wife, thank G) spouted off that the car cost probably about 25k. I chuckled at the ignorant bastard and said nothing and everyone quickly went on to the next subject!!!!

Enjoy your car and if anyone is crass enough to ask what you paid, just tell them 25k!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
akim47
Racer

l hear you... I am married (by law) but we are having our ceremony this April (MFJ = tax savings for 2007). I am looking (and have been looking) at p-cars for a while now. I am DEFINITELY not going to get one until after the wedding some time. I'm still relatively young, so I caught heat when I bought my Lexus GS in 2006, and then more heat when I promptly flipped it for a Denali last year. They already joke "why should I even give you much for your wedding gift"... So I haven't told anybody about my future plans... I like the idea of staying low key anyways... something my wife and I can laugh about when we go for midnight drives together...

CHEERS!
AK
Old 01-23-2008, 07:07 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by tkids
Enjoy your car and if anyone is crass enough to ask what you paid, just tell them 25k!!!
I like that . . . "yep, got a hell of a deal on this one - it was on clearance". If I told my 6 y.o. I paid 25k for it he would gladly share the information - problem solved.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:09 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by surfer
marty, i've had my 07 c2s for over 1 week now and i understand what you're saying. for example, my younger sister and brother in law were in town so i took them, my parents, my real estate attorney and his wife, and a couple family friends out to a 9 course chinese dinner.

fast forward a couple days when i'm having dim sum with my parents and sister at a different restaurant. that restaurant advertised a 10 course dinner which was $50 less than the bill was from the previous chinese restaurant, offered 1 additional course, and included lobster. when i made a comment on this my father asked why i was complaining about a difference of $50 since i owned a 911 and i guess in his mind should not care about a frivolous amount of money like $50.

my older sister recently celebrated her birthday this past week and i got her a pair of roxy ski goggles from an online site. i guess the price tag was left on and my younger sister and older sister both commented on me spending only $55 for a birthday present. again with a backhanded "what's up with that since you own a 911?" comment. i guess the amount of money i spend on gifts should magically increase now that i drive a p-car.

really, what's up with that? is that the assumption others are continually going to make going forward? i'm not going to hide my pride in ownership of this beautiful automobile. does the fact that i'm still in my early 30s create a bigger problem? i mean it's all my hard earned money so wtf?

anyways, just saying you aren't alone marty
Take back the Xmas present and use it for let's say Porsche clear side markers for YOUR car!!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:12 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The day I first brought my car to work, every guy in my office came in to say "nice car" and "must be nice to make enough money to afford that"

Two years later I still get the comment from co-workers that my job obviously pays a lot more than their job. I get a little self conscious about it and try not to bring it to work that often.

My friends, neighbors and family love it, except for my mother n law.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:16 PM
othomasjr
Racer

It sucks, but is the nature of the beast. I got a ding in my car the other night at Wal-Mart and I know it was done on purpose. It is not on a door, instead it's on the left quarter right behind the top of the headlight. I parked close, but at the time I was the only car around as it was late at night. When I came out I noticed 2 cars next to mine. I didn't notice the ding until I got home and know it wasn't there before because I've clayed barred, waxed, etc. I just hate this because now I refuse (at least until this anger leaves me) to drive it somewhere I have to park in a parking lot.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
My friends, neighbors and family love it, except for my mother n law.
Truthfully, I think that is the source of my problem and it is having a trickle down, or sideways in this case, effect.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

I agree, it seems to go with the territory. Taking it even further, I bought a used (expensive) part from a fellow lister for my 944. Long story short, it may have been defective and I suggested some sort of restitution if indeed that was the case. My P-car brother explained that since I had a 911, I shouldn't have even suggested it. Just be gratified that you are fortunate to own one of these fine cars.

Quick Reply: My Kid Ratted Me Out