Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Kid Ratted Me Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008 | 06:21 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by JPS
Popping over from the 993 board here...for a 12 year old car it is easier...for the "hater" conversations, I ask them what they drive. If they have purchased a car in the last 3-5 years, they almost certainly paid more than I did for mine. I've even said once, to someone who was particularly annoying, "So, if you are going to be jealous, be jealous of my intelligence, not my car. I had the intelligence to buy a car that makes me smile when I'm not driving it, and insanely giggle when I am...for less money than your people mover beast that you likely loathe driving."
So true...

When I had my 1988 911 hardtop, I'd get a comment almost weekly from some stranger in a parking lot about how nice it must be, etc. Invariably they'd be driving a new Ford Expedition or something that cost about 3x what my car was worth. Whatever, apparently I had my priorities and they had theirs...
Old 03-26-2008 | 07:28 PM
Mad_AL
Intermediate

Jesus Christ, I always thought only here in Europe people are jealous about peoples achievement. Was always of the opinion that in the USA people look up to you because you were able to achieve "The American Dream"

Guess the whole world is inhabited by ****heads
Old 03-27-2008 | 10:06 AM
jjv
Intermediate

I'm glad this thread was resurrected (I missed it the first time around in January) because I'm going through many of the same things that have been posted here! If some of you recall, I posted a thread called "The Ownership Experience" a few weeks back where I expressed my concern about my increased visibility after joining the club. Funny thing about this thread, is that my 7 year old son ratted me out almost the *same exact* way that original poster's 6 year old son did. Over dinner at a local restaurant, he randomly bursts out, "Daddy and I are going on a road trip to Philly. We're going to get a PORSCHE!" I told him on several occasions that we were not to talk about this to anyone, unless they specifically asked FIRST. I said this, because knowing him, he'd be obnoxiously telling his teachers and everyone in his class that his dad got a 911. Now, mind you, this isn't any different from when he has told his teachers and everyone in his class that he got a dog or a new video game, etc. but it *is* different. But I guess there is just something about this age. They can't keep anything exciting bottled up.

So I picked up the car on Good Friday and spent the night in Philly with my son, before driving home on Saturday. Neighbors first saw the car on Easter Sunday and it became the topic of conversation during the neighborhood's annual Easter Egg hunt. Basically, there were a lot of wide eyes, but it's not like we live in the hood; we don't even have the biggest house on the street. One guy told me that it's his dream car. (Then I don't know why he doesn't just get one because his house is easily worth twice as much as mine, and he has every other toy in the world.)

In some parts of the country, I guess, Porsche is an icon. Go to South Beach and it's another Accord, but up here in New England--even the 'affluent' suburbs--there simply aren't many trucking around. During my Boston-Philly round trip, I saw just *one* 911, and that was the one I purchased and drove home. On a side note, I noticed that as I pulled over to let faster cars go by, a few over the drivers actually gave me a wave in appreciation as they passed. No one has ever done that to me before in other cars. Was it that they were so stunned that a 911 pulled over to let them pass and that I'm not a complete self-centered jerk? No idea, but I felt like a good ambassador for the crest.
Old 03-27-2008 | 10:18 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jjv
One guy told me that it's his dream car. (Then I don't know why he doesn't just get one because his house is easily worth twice as much as mine, and he has every other toy in the world.)
Because he's probably in debt up to his eyelids.

Originally Posted by jjv
I felt like a good ambassador for the crest
We should strive for this daily.

Andreas
Old 03-27-2008 | 11:04 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jjv
In some parts of the country, I guess, Porsche is an icon. Go to South Beach and it's another Accord, but up here in New England--even the 'affluent' suburbs--there simply aren't many trucking around. .
First, congrats on the car.

I'm on the North Shore too (Swampscott)...Just wait until the weather breaks. The first nice Spring weekend is like "opening day", and all the Porsches which are not daily drivers come out of hibernation, and seem like they are all over the place. If you go for a walk around Marblehead Neck on a given (nice) Saturday or Sunday, you are pretty much assured of seeing several cruising the loop, or hanging out at the park on the ocean.

Just as a heads up, there are a few Boston/New England Porsche events on the horizon this Spring Summer. If you want to see more Porsches than you can imagine (of all different ages/types) check out Porsche Day at the Larz Anderson museum in Brookline. (It's around Labor Day). Before that, in mid- April, there is the Patriot Run which starts I think in Lexington or Concord. (PCA Website has info). And then, if your really feeling plucky, there is the Ramble to the Balsams in May (the resort up in NH). (PCA website has info on this too).
Old 03-29-2008 | 01:57 AM
speedyjp
Instructor

Cool

Great thread... Think we all could say we identify with most of the situations described (work, in-laws, neighbors, coworkers, blah, blah, blah...). Even with my latest P-car being preowned, these old scenarios have resurfaced. Most don't get the car-guy motivation. To all them blabbers, I'd love to say with a smile...
- yeah mine is really small!
- you are right, i'm going thru a crisis again.
- my hair is thinning isn't it?
- yep, it cost a fortune and I don't know how I am going to support my family anymore.
- I guess I they do pay me way way more than you!
- I really do love the attention.
- How'd you know I am leaving my wife and kids for a 20-something?

But no, I won't say those things. But wouldn't it be funny? I'll just keep being humble and make that exhaust roar! Ha!

Quick Reply: My Kid Ratted Me Out