Sponsored by:

Porsche paint soft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:54 PM
vrnkc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche paint soft?

Because of the numerous paint chips that I see on the front hood of my 997, I am wondering if the porsche paint is "soft" compared to that of other car makers.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:18 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely think so; I have previously owned - and own - Audis and there is no question that their paint was considerably 'harder' and more robust.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:24 AM
vizman
Advanced

My detailer has previously told me that porsche paint is soft. I trust his knowledge.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:43 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

For whatever reason the hoods on the 997 seem to me to be more prone to "pitting" and chipping than those of the 996. I've detailed a few 997s (including my own) and they all seem to have pitting and chips. The 996 hoods that I've done don't seem to be nearly so prone to the chipping. Perhaps it's a combination of both the paint formulation and the aluminum hood?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Yes it's soft!

This is why I inform most to invest in a clear paint film.

Deanski
Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 AM
johnny1423
Pro

environmental mandates over the years have gotten more strict with regards to lead in paint...
thats one reason you see a 1982 mercedes with flawless paint and a 2006 with stone chips..
Old 01-23-2008, 12:03 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Yes it's soft!

This is why I inform most to invest in a clear paint film.

Deanski
Deanski-what's your appraisal of the ceramiclear finishes compared with what Porsche is doing? You'd think Porsche would be exploring that option as a means of offering better paint protection. The film is OK, but detracts a bit from the overall appearance of the cars IMHO. I've got film on the front "bumper" area and use a Colgan on the hood portion for long trips. I like paint, not film
Old 01-23-2008, 04:27 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny1423
environmental mandates over the years have gotten more strict with regards to lead in paint...
thats one reason you see a 1982 mercedes with flawless paint and a 2006 with stone chips..
Just painted my 82 Benz because of clear coat failure.

I think its the water base,no VOC crap they are using.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by uzj100
Deanski-what's your appraisal of the ceramiclear finishes compared with what Porsche is doing? You'd think Porsche would be exploring that option as a means of offering better paint protection. The film is OK, but detracts a bit from the overall appearance of the cars IMHO. I've got film on the front "bumper" area and use a Colgan on the hood portion for long trips. I like paint, not film

I do wish they offered the Ceramiclear finish. It really can take a beating for scratches, but rocks can still chip it. Not as brittle as some other paints and more forgiving, Ceramiclear is just a real PITA to correct when polishing. This is why Menzerna and a few others have followed with offering the same polishes used at the factory to aftermart and bodyshops.

I have film on my black C2S and I'm thankful every day! It doesn't look as bad as films in the past. The never films are very very clear, no orange peel, do not yellow. More shops offer custom fitments so if you wanted the entire hod covered it now can be done.

Every several years I remove the film, polish, then have it applied at the same time I finish with the polishing.

These new waterborn paints are very soft and were really designed to give more than chip. But now they seem to chip more than they did.

A newer finish has been developed that heals itself with heat. I've yet to play with it in the field, but have seen it.

For now, due to the low nature of the car and sof paint you have two choices, one have film installed or bra or two live with stone chips and touchups.

Deanski
Old 01-23-2008, 11:41 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnny1423
I don't buy that. My Audi has impeccable paint quality, no stone chips after nearly 2 years and 20k miles.

I don't know about Porsche's paint, who knows what kind of roads the poster deals with. But the idea that the mandates on paint affect Porsche but not Audi just doesn't strike me as believable.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This business is actually rather debatable. For instance, if you have hard paint it will fracture when hit by a rock (and therefore CHIP). If it were soft it would resist chipping. Thoughts?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:54 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

I'll tell you my secret. Wax the crap out of the car. I waxed it so often and had it so clean and protected with wax that most rocks just skip right off the car. Honestly from two Audis, virtually the same, the only difference was that I waxed the 2nd one better and the difference was clear.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Tinluver
Instructor

I think the amount of hood chips is simply due to the low slant of the front of the car.Without clear film it does not stand a chance
Old 01-24-2008, 09:58 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinluver
I think the amount of hood chips is simply due to the low slant of the front of the car.Without clear film it does not stand a chance
I think its that and the speed of the impact.

Everyone should slow down!

My first Porsche was an 82SC and it had plenty of chips on it
Old 01-25-2008, 10:32 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Well, things are not made the way they use to....

...many of them because of environmental laws
-paints are no longer oil based, I agree with the mercedes post
-fuels suck....don't come to california and expect good gas
-A/C don't cool as well as the old freon types
-with alcohol in the fuels....it may do a job on older car seals and injectors
-my wife's bra don't support the way they use to
-hell, even when I look myself in the mirror, mirrors are not made the way
they use to
The following users liked this post:
lordvonpineapple (12-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Porsche paint soft?