Sponsored by:

Can TPM be disabled?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can TPM be disabled?

I hate this thing! I don't want to run the default pressures in my tires and I'm tired of looking at the warning lights.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:02 AM
rfedele
Racer

yes, there was a thread on this about 6 months ago which contains the necessary info.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't think TPM can be disabled.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Default Where is OCBen when you need him.

If a thread existed he was always kind enough to tell you how to find it.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by MLindgren
If a thread existed he was always kind enough to tell you how to find it.
Not only do I have to be helpful and respond, but now I have to do the search for you!

Now I see why OCBen was so exasperated.

here is the link: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=disable+tpms

Last edited by rfedele; 01-17-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,617 Likes on 2,306 Posts

here you go again,

1: First you must actually disconnect the TPMS control unit so that the CAN Controller does not continue to recognize it. The control unit is located in the front trunk next to brake fluid reservoir. Remove and unplug the dome light on the cowling plastic. Remove all of the screws that hold this entire plastic panel in. There are a good number on top by the seal and one on each side by the bottom.

2: Now unplug the control unit it is part number 997 618 103 06, Do not remove it. This way you can always just plug it back it and use it again.

3. Reassemble the front trunk again.

4. Hook up the PIWIS tester to the car via the OBD2 port and do a complete check of all the control units.

5. Select "Gateway" and then "Coding" then ""Required Control Units List". This will list all installed CAN units.

6. Now select "Tire Pressure Monitoring System" and change to " Not Installed" and code it, then exit to the main screen again.

The next steps will code your instrument cluster and to do so will require that you have your engine number, so have it handy, you will find out why.

7. Select "Instrument Cluster" and then "Coding" then "Vehicle Variants".

8. Now select your "Model Year" then "Model", "Roof Version", "Country" (02 is for USA, Puerto Rico). The next item will be "Versions" (553 is USA/Canada).

9. Select your "Individual and exclusive equipment" by highlighting each item that would apply such as: 454-Cruise, 023-Silver Colored Gauge faces etc. DO NOT select 423/483 TPM!!!! This is the TPMS for the cluster and must not be highlighted.

10. Move to the next screen and finish the "Audio and Communication " by highlighting what applies to your car.

11. Next will be the "Wheel Size" and finally it will ask about your engine number.

12. Proceed forward and then Code with F8.

13. The final requirement is to disconnect the battery and reconnect it and drive a few hundred feet to set you angle sensor for the PSM.

That’s it and now TPMS is removed.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:47 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wait. why dont you adjust the monitor to accept the values that YOU have selected for your tires as acceptable, and stop giving you faults.
There is a way to finetune the read out. So your OFF the range values can be seen as IN range... look in the manual. That sounds easier...
Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Dianic, that would be great, but I don't see anywhere in the manuel that explains how to do what you are suggesting? Can you tell me what page its on?

Thanks,
Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

I need to look it up. I recall I had seen a page of a manual scanned on here somewhere... I had printed that one. Need to look in my file at home.
I believe its in the TPM settings, where it allows you to match the TPM readings with the real readings you would get from a proper TPM at a tire shop, by inputing a -1-2-3 or +1+2+3 PSI at each corner... Play around with it a bit, you may understand how to set it.
I will post more...
Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,617 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic
wait. why dont you adjust the monitor to accept the values that YOU have selected for your tires as acceptable, and stop giving you faults.
There is a way to finetune the read out. So your OFF the range values can be seen as IN range... look in the manual. That sounds easier...
you can't.
not on my box s, cay s or RS

not on USA market cars. i am pretty sure as i looked everywhere.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:31 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too - not possible on any UK cars.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

did a search here and there, cant find it anywhere on line. Looked in my files, not there. Have one more place - the glove compartment, but car is covered and cant be bothered right now its close to midnight... will come back tomorrow. For the life of me I do recall reading something about that tho...
Old 11-30-2009, 12:56 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dianic
did a search here and there, cant find it anywhere on line. Looked in my files, not there. Have one more place - the glove compartment, but car is covered and cant be bothered right now its close to midnight... will come back tomorrow. For the life of me I do recall reading something about that tho...
Nick, I know this is a super old post, but I'm wondering if you ever found that print out?

Mooty, I've seen the other threads where you explain how to disable, I'm just wondering if anyone ever figured out how to adjust?

Thanks!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:05 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
here you go again,

1: First you must actually disconnect the TPMS control unit so that the CAN Controller does not continue to recognize it. The control unit is located in the front trunk next to brake fluid reservoir. Remove and unplug the dome light on the cowling plastic. Remove all of the screws that hold this entire plastic panel in. There are a good number on top by the seal and one on each side by the bottom.

2: Now unplug the control unit it is part number 997 618 103 06, Do not remove it. This way you can always just plug it back it and use it again.

3. Reassemble the front trunk again.

4. Hook up the PIWIS tester to the car via the OBD2 port and do a complete check of all the control units.

5. Select "Gateway" and then "Coding" then ""Required Control Units List". This will list all installed CAN units.

6. Now select "Tire Pressure Monitoring System" and change to " Not Installed" and code it, then exit to the main screen again.

The next steps will code your instrument cluster and to do so will require that you have your engine number, so have it handy, you will find out why.

7. Select "Instrument Cluster" and then "Coding" then "Vehicle Variants".

8. Now select your "Model Year" then "Model", "Roof Version", "Country" (02 is for USA, Puerto Rico). The next item will be "Versions" (553 is USA/Canada).

9. Select your "Individual and exclusive equipment" by highlighting each item that would apply such as: 454-Cruise, 023-Silver Colored Gauge faces etc. DO NOT select 423/483 TPM!!!! This is the TPMS for the cluster and must not be highlighted.

10. Move to the next screen and finish the "Audio and Communication " by highlighting what applies to your car.

11. Next will be the "Wheel Size" and finally it will ask about your engine number.

12. Proceed forward and then Code with F8.

13. The final requirement is to disconnect the battery and reconnect it and drive a few hundred feet to set you angle sensor for the PSM.

That’s it and now TPMS is removed.
wow!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:21 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rijowysock
wow!

Agreed. That's the post I saw too. Very helpful if disabling. but still hopeful someone might have found a hack or an intended method to adjust....

Quick Reply: Can TPM be disabled?