997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why high ratio of Caymans to 911s
Cayman sell better - so this is dealership stategy
10.77%
911 is too expensive - (nationally)
27.69%
New Orleans is depressed 911 is too expensive - (locally)
18.46%
PCNA won't send any 911 to this dealer
3.08%
PCNA is pushing Cayman to be flagship
1.54%
other
23.08%
New Orleans dealership ratio seems unusual to my area
16.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Dealership ratio of Cayman vs 911

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:32 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Actually the Cayman and Cayman S are fantastic cars. But truthfully sports cars in that price point are appealing to the people who are being hardest hit by the economy.

I'm not that certain about your observation. Keep in mind that a decently equipped CS will be quite close to the sticker price of a base 997. So we aren't exactly talking about an inexpensive car.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Actually the Cayman and Cayman S are fantastic cars. But truthfully sports cars in that price point are appealing to the people who are being hardest hit by the economy.

I'm not that certain about your observation. Keep in mind that a decently equipped CS will be quite close to the sticker price of a base 997. So we aren't exactly talking about an inexpensive car.

Agreed; thus why MORE C.S. remain on the lot then less equipped cars. You'll find more often the mentality " Why spend $74k on CS when I can spend a few thousand more and get a 911."

Perception is reality; people, beyond the rehelms of rennyworld; PERCIEVE the 911 to be a better car. albeit price, the 2+2 set up; the fact they've known the 911 body since they were a child...

Soooo... the cayman/ cayman S when more deeply discounted make the vector between them and the 911 make them MORE attractive to those who ARE on a budget.

Again, this is MY observation.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:36 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some interesting comments in the January Panorama (PCA mag) about the 356 owners' reactions to the first 911s. Seems very similar to the 911 owners' reactions to the Cayman IMO. Change is so hard!

We have one of each. I prefer the 911S, my wife prefers the CaymanS. Its several little things in both cases: how we fit into each car, power and sounds, styling (she calls the CaymanS feminine, but not in a "Porsche with panties" way, just meaning it has very flowing lines. The 911 is definitely more masculine (butch, if you prefer). The CaymanS is very well balanced for the track and easy to learn to drive well in; the 911S can be more of a handful - at least at our novice levels. Comparably equipped, the Cayman is less money.

They're both a pleasure and I wouldn't hesitate to take either on any trip: long distance, shopping (yuk) or the track.

p-cardriver
Old 01-20-2008, 09:37 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Agreed; thus why MORE C.S. remain on the lot then less equipped cars. You'll find more often the mentality " Why spend $74k on CS when I can spend a few thousand more and get a 911."

Perception is reality; people, beyond the rehelms of rennyworld; PERCIEVE the 911 to be a better car. albeit price, the 2+2 set up; the fact they've known the 911 body since they were a child...

Soooo... the cayman/ cayman S when more deeply discounted make the vector between them and the 911 make them MORE attractive to those who ARE on a budget.

Again, this is MY observation.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought that you were suggesting that CS buyers had lower family incomes, and that group may be affected by the economic downturn moe than those that buy the 997. Although I have no data to support it, I would expect that the family incomes of CS buyers is nearly identical to 997 buyers. Moreover, I would expect that a large percentage of CS owners are either current or former owners of 911s.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

I went to drive the Cayman for a friend who was ordering one to replace his M3. He wanted my opinion.
I loved the car as did my son who has a Boxster S. The handling is outstanding and there is more than enough power for the street and likely for most track events. Its a good looking car and certainly has more usable storage space than its older brother.

3 months later, I bought the 997S. All the time we hung arouind at the Porsche store playing with the Cayman, I could not stop myself from graviting to the 911s.

I knew if I was going to own a Porsche sports car, it had to be a 911. Sometimes its not which is the best car BUT which car truly floats your boat.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a poll going at caymanclub.net that shows that the Cayman is the first ever Porsche for 71% of the respondents. Although PAG and PCNA like to say that the used Porsche is now the entry-level Porsche, I think the 71% stat supports the conclusion that the Cayman (and Boxster) serve as entry level new Porsches.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 PM
mikejohn
Intermediate

I recently replaced my 2006 C2S with a 2008 Cayman S. The 911 was in a major accident and I wasn't comfortable keeping the repaired vehicle. Both are great cars with pros and cons. After the accident I went for the CS because I truly enjoy and prefer the way the car feels. Although it is less powerful it is more than adequate.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:51 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I spent two weeks driving a Cayman as a loaner and thought it was a fantastic car in just about every way. I do however, think it is priced way too high for such little power.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

seems like I'm in the minority but had a Cayman for loaner while having a short shifter put in my 911S and it did not do a thing for me.First off it was automatic, but even with paddle shifting still felt like a wannabee.I would never spend the money they want on that car.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:47 PM
westlaker
Instructor

I'm sure that in lower per capital income cities/states the cheaper cars are stocked and in high income states like mine, the expensive cars are plentiful. No point in trying to sell 150k cars to folks without the dough.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I drove a base Cayman awhile ago. It was a fun car. I really liked the driving dynamics.

A well driven Cayman S is almost as quick as a Carrera S.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 PM
westlaker
Instructor

I think Cayman's a very nice looking but a bit small and mostly not a 911 tragically...
Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Man, there are some pompous jerks on this board. Ahh, the venerable 997...so easily passed by my cheap and wanting Cayman S. Come on guys, put your little units back in your 911's and play like nice kids.
Cayman's sell because they are a good deal for what you get: a fantastic track tool, more space than a 911 and a good looking car. Obviously I'm about to get flammed and called gay and all that nonsense but I don;t care since most of the poseur's writing in this thread never go to the track so If they look at my with the stink-eye at the light, i could care less.
Enjoy!!
I agree we're all on the same team, I think the Cayman is the better track toy. I took my car to the track twice and hope to do it again soon sometime in the spring. Didn't see any Caymans but a few new Boxters, buncha old and new 911's and one 911 Turbo.

Anyway I agree with most of what you say except for more room.... How can the Cayman have more room, just curious?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:25 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 911 came to replace the 356s....I don't think the Caymans will replace the 911s

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Some interesting comments in the January Panorama (PCA mag) about the 356 owners' reactions to the first 911s. Seems very similar to the 911 owners' reactions to the Cayman IMO. Change is so hard!

We have one of each. I prefer the 911S, my wife prefers the CaymanS. Its several little things in both cases: how we fit into each car, power and sounds, styling (she calls the CaymanS feminine, but not in a "Porsche with panties" way, just meaning it has very flowing lines. The 911 is definitely more masculine (butch, if you prefer). The CaymanS is very well balanced for the track and easy to learn to drive well in; the 911S can be more of a handful - at least at our novice levels. Comparably equipped, the Cayman is less money.

They're both a pleasure and I wouldn't hesitate to take either on any trip: long distance, shopping (yuk) or the track.

p-cardriver
IMHO
abe
Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Lblackman
Advanced

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
How can the Cayman have more room, just curious?
Cayman has a front and rear trunk, plus space behind the seats. Much more usable space than the rear seats of the C2S.

I moved from a Boxster S ('01 986) to a 997S a few months ago. Still waiting to get the C2S on the track, but I tracked my Boxster S a lot. (About 60 track days with the car.)

I had several experiences with 997S drivers coming over to talk to me after a track session to ask me what I had done to the car - They alwasy thought that I must have upgraded power and suspension. They always were surprised when I told them that it was a simple 250 hp car with stock suspension - not even ROW 030. Only upgrades were brake pads and R compound tires.

Re: the CS, I did some hot laps with one at Thunderhill while thinking about what I was going to buy next. I loved the CS - it was immediately drivable very hard. But I found it TOO much like my Boxster - I was looking for a new driving experience. Hence, the 997S.

Now .. I just need to get the new car on the track! Mid- Feb at PIR, I hope.

LCB

Quick Reply: Dealership ratio of Cayman vs 911