Sponsored by:

Recommendation in L.A. to fix scatch

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:43 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation in L.A. to fix scatch

My heart stopped for several seconds realizing a fence had toppled over and hit my p-car. It Dented the fuel filler panel and couple of scratch on the side panel. Any recommendation for a body shop for this type of repairs? The dent is not deep enough, it's almost like a door ding. I think the scratch can be buffed out. ANy Rec? Any body have experiences w/ fix a dent services? My first major scratch and boy doe it hurt!!!!! TIA for the info
Old 01-14-2008, 02:29 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Perhaps paintless dent repair can help with the dented fuel filler cap? What part of LA do you live in? Can you post pictures of your scratches?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:11 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you call the Service Department of Beverly Hills Porsche, they could refer you to the dent repair guy they use. Dealers, especially larger dealers, usually know the best dent repair guy locally.

With best regards,
Old 01-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Try this test: If you run your fingernail over the scratch, and can feel it, it can't be buffed out. They can do wonders with dings, but scratch repair is still behind the times. Chip repair has come a long way, but not scratch repair.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:52 AM
rkeyser
Advanced

Beverly Hills Porsche will probably refer you to the Golden Hammer in Santa Monica. They used to be good but now they aren't IMO. Don't ask how I know.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I wouldn't take BH Porsche's recommendation, whatever it may be.

I had a bad experience at Golden Hammer as well, and that was back when they were "good".

Thankfully, I haven't needed a body shop in a while. I used Brace's in MDR last time, but they did a poor job and I don't think they're in business anymore. I had considered Avio in WLA, and probably should have gone with them.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:00 PM
wsmknicks
Intermediate

Default Bairs Keystone

in Santa Monica is good. They've fixed panels on my 911 and wife's Saab. Nice folks also. [I have no association w/them other than satisfied customer - several times.]
Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used Avio on a number of Porsches and Mercedes over the year and they have always been great. I couldn't be happier with their work and their service. I've recommended them to 2 other Rennlisters who were both very happy with them.....

http://www.aviocoachcraft.com/
(310) 312-1128
Old 01-15-2008, 10:09 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Avio Coachcraft is pricey, but not the most expensive. They are, however, arguably the best in LA. If you visit them, you are likely to see their lot filled with Porsches, Ferraris, Bentleys, and other high end vehicles. Depending on on the severity of the scratch and where you live, you should contact superior shine, an AMAZING detailer based out of the San Gabriel Valley. Check out http://www.superiorshine.com/
Old 01-17-2008, 12:22 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Default Thanks Guy

Thank god out of the ten scratch, 8 of them are surface scratch that a friend's body shop where able to buffed and polished out. He got a magic dent repair guy that came out to his shop, worked w/ his tool and popped out the dent. Now, is If only I can find a dealer that carry the Cobalt Blue touch up kit, I can cover it up before my wife find out.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Greer
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rkeyser
Beverly Hills Porsche will probably refer you to the Golden Hammer in Santa Monica. They used to be good but now they aren't IMO. Don't ask how I know.
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

I had a bad experience at Golden Hammer as well, and that was back when they were "good".
This is 2 bad reviews of Golden Hammer, but they don't state why they were unhappy. I'm bringing my car there this week for a minor paint job, am I making a major mistake?

They have a AAA rating with the better business bureau, for the 2 members who were un happy, briefly what was your main concern? Quality of work? Late on deadline? Lies?

Thank you,

Gene
Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 PM
raffi
Pro

bad experience at golden hammer here too, worse experience at avio.
my car was fixed there by the insurance, mercury who probably didnt pay them the regular rates they charge.
yeah they do have alot of expensive cars there but they have horrible attitude/service and unless if you are a good customer probably will not get much better work done than any other shop.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me know about the scratch - I have a scratch that I think can be buffed out in the S4 and I can't find a body shop to do the work here in the San Diego area...

Of course - posting this from the DC house - but someone let me know!

Quick Reply: Recommendation in L.A. to fix scatch