Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Field: Anyone know of LHD to RHD conversion costs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:23 AM
scott863
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Field: Anyone know of LHD to RHD conversion costs?

I'm a 928 guy just visiting here, have a friend asking me about this, and I thought I'd look over in this forum. I searched several terms, but haven't found anything.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 01-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I suspect that it's a significant amount of money,--you're talking dash mostly (material cost) and then the art of moving everything over to the other side. Obviously, you are inquiring of the 997s. Them again, Porsche has been builiding RHD and LHD cars all their lives just about, and knowing Porsche, I suspect they have designed these cars to be as universal as possible, minimizing the effects of such a thing as wheel position. Other more less noticeable issues might involve the re-placement of the exterior rearview mirrors...
Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Buy a British Porsche magazine and look at the price difference between rld's and lhd's and you'll find out.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:19 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I looked into this years ago - not for a Porsche - and decided it was such a hassle that it simply wasn't worth it. It's a pretty extensive set of changes you need to make and the costs just sky-rocket.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:50 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A dealer told me yesterday that a fair number of LHD U.S.-spec cars are being shipped to RHD countries and switched over because of the comparatively weak dollar. Apparently the conversion isn't terribly difficult - a new dashboard is the only big part - and the chassis already has provisions for both RHD and LHD. He said it costs between $2-3k U.S. for the conversion.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

That's amazing! 20-30K USD wouldn't have surprised me.

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
He said it costs between $2-3k U.S. for the conversion.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:52 PM
printemps2001
Instructor

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Buy a British Porsche magazine and look at the price difference between rld's and lhd's and you'll find out.
I really wish people would stop doing a conversion from foreign currency to dollars and say that's what something cost abroad. That's only what it cost's if you have a bunch of dollars and convert them to foreign currency and buy the item. The English don't get paid in dollars any more that we get paid in Sterling.

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2008, 09:28 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by printemps2001
I really wish people would stop doing a conversion from foreign currency to dollars and say that's what something cost abroad. That's only what it cost's if you have a bunch of dollars and convert them to foreign currency and buy the item. The English don't get paid in dollars any more that we get paid in Sterling.
You don't have to work that hard. There will be prices for both in the mag in pounds.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:19 AM
berty987
7th Gear

3,000 dollars, I doubt this very much. The dash board needs to be converted, this is true, but the wiring looms between LHD and RHD cars are also different. To replace the wiring loom is a very time consuming job and also costly , there are differnet earthing and connection points handed according to LHD and RHD cars , so not only does the dash cover need to be replaced but there is also a lot of work behind the dash too. After converting the car it will probably rattle and squeak and will never have full UK specification or type approval, so vastly reducing its resale value. Porsches are readilly available in the Uk , and driving a LHD car in the Uk is also not such an issue as you may beleive. I have a 987S LHD and drive in the Uk. Forget the idea of converting, it costs too much and will reduce the resale value. Keep it LHD or sell and buy RHD.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:46 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Ruf charges 9,800 euros to do an RT12 in RHD.

Quick Reply: Left Field: Anyone know of LHD to RHD conversion costs?