Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question from house-owner newbie: Firewood in garage with car ok?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:34 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question from house-owner newbie: Firewood in garage with car ok?

My wife and I moved into a house this past Summer. It is a 1930's house with a detached 2-car (barely) garage accessible via an alley behind the house. Well, my friendly neighbor and I split a half cord of firewood and now I have to put it somewhere. The logical place is in the garage- stacked up in front of our beloved zoom-car. Does anybody see a problem with this (provided the wood is stacked up securely)? Most important, will the firewood invite in all manners of fauna that I wouldn't want near our cars? The sedan gets driven daily; the zoom-car maybe once a week when the weather is nice.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Firewood will attract rats (depending on where you live) and termites.
The termites generally won't bother anything else (since a half-cord of wood is like an "open bar" for them).
The rats do occasionally get into car engine compartments, usually looking for warmth.
I've had firewood stored in my garage before here in Los Angeles with no ill effects on the P-cars.
Just keep an eye on things if you go that route...watch for critters camping out where they shouldn't be. It actually might help a little to NOT store the firewood on the garage floor...raise it up off the deck a few inches if you can with a rack or something.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:47 PM
rfedele
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the car, but I would worry about termites getting into your house.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember to bring the firewood into the house before you use it!!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:51 PM
geof
Drifting

Originally Posted by Leader
Firewood will attract rats (depending on where you live) and termites.
The termites generally won't bother anything else (since a half-cord of wood is like an "open bar" for them).
The rats do occasionally get into car engine compartments, usually looking for warmth.
I've had firewood stored in my garage before here in Los Angeles with no ill effects on the P-cars.
Just keep an eye on things if you go that route...watch for critters camping out where they shouldn't be. It actually might help a little to NOT store the firewood on the garage floor...raise it up off the deck a few inches if you can with a rack or something.
We're in Washington DC- plenty of rats and termites. Perhaps a few traps are called for if I choose to keep the wood there. Thanks for the rack tip.

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:58 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Phil, you beat me to it .

We have a free standing garage. We took in a stray cat (cat house, heated insert, litter box, food + water). My wife's car is a Benz and mice are notorious for 'having a palate' for their wire coatings/electronics (as well as finding them swell places to live). I do not know about P cars. Cheap insurance in my mind (Fortunately the cat cannot jump at all, and is not interested in doing so, but the car is covered in any event).
Old 12-30-2007, 03:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Pick up a cheap "fire wood rack" with a cover - I see them in the LLBean catalogs. Tubular steel, quick assembly - put it outside against the garage - just keep an eye on it.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:10 PM
jplanaux
Instructor

Originally Posted by RonCT
Pick up a cheap "fire wood rack" with a cover - I see them in the LLBean catalogs. Tubular steel, quick assembly - put it outside against the garage - just keep an eye on it.
Firewood belongs outside. Insects, termites and the likes belong outside. "Google" storage firewood. I think that you don't want it too close to the house outside either. Check around enough, and maybe even ask a exterminator for his/her recommendation.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you use the firewood quickly it's okay to keep it in the garage. I wound up building a shelter away from my house that houses a cord of wood so that it wouldn't attract pests to the house. Sure enough, I had rats hanging out around the pile. (My painter discovered them). A few rat trappings later (and poisons) and that was over. If in the garage keep in mind that rats and mice like to chew on wiring. Recently a good friend of mine bought a new VW Touareg V10 and discovered that there was an engine problem. Red lights were flashing, it told you to shut it off immediately and flatbed the vehicle for service. Found out (through a lot of tear down labor) that a wire into the engine had been chewed off by a rat! You may consider keeping little piles of rat poison at each wheel, just to be certain.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:05 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Does the garage have an outside?
Old 12-30-2007, 05:28 PM
geof
Drifting

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Does the garage have an outside?
Here's a picture of my humble back yard and garage taken just now. The garage shares a wall with the neighbor's garage, even though the garages are detached from the houses and our two houses are also detached. (I guess that's how they did it back then). Yes- both a 997 and an Audi A4 can fit in there! As I read all the replies to this thread, though, I think it is safer to just get a rack and tarp and stack them on the wall outside, perhaps underneath the garage's window. The structure is solid brick so it will be fine.

In case you were wondering- yes we do plan to replace that rusty fence and landscape this coming Spring!

Old 12-30-2007, 05:40 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Looks like you might even have space for 3/8 of a cord next time!

Why bother with a rack? All you need is a tarp to keep out the snow...
Old 12-30-2007, 05:40 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

You may have the mouse problem in the winter irregardless (they can get thru incredibly small cracks and take shelter inside/underground in winter months) and you may still want to take pre-active steps in that regard. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:48 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jplanaux
Firewood belongs outside. Insects, termites and the likes belong outside. "Google" storage firewood. I think that you don't want it too close to the house outside either. Check around enough, and maybe even ask a exterminator for his/her recommendation.
I always keep a small amount on the front porch "Trex like porch deck" in a holder but the rest is kept away from the house.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:59 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

I'd keep it outside the house for sure...better be safe than sorry and have either car up at the dealer for mysterious ailments! LOL

Quick Reply: Question from house-owner newbie: Firewood in garage with car ok?