997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximum octane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by unclejosh
Hello Group-

I have been doing a roughly 50/50 blend of 100 Torco and 91 Chevron or Unocal. This mixed at the Unocal station in Woodside, Bay Area, CA. $5.35/gal.

This yields about 95 octane RON.

I can say without a doubt my 2007 C4S runs significantly better - punchier, more responsive. Better acceleration.

It is also noteworthy that the insides of my exhaust tips are now honey brown vs. black., especially in terms that this is a street car, my daily driver. I have 9200 miles mixed freeway, canyon and traffic since June*

I propose that raising the octane to a min. of 93 and dilution of the lousy gas we get here in Cali can yield significant engine running benefits..........
I always had to use octane booster (104+ in the black bottle) in my 930's (due to the high boost I was running) and it turned the inside of the exhaust tips an orange/brown too. God I miss those cars
Old 12-26-2007, 03:27 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
I run 93 (I'm in FL) and I still get that split second knock , so I'd imagine if these engines are knocking w/ 93 then there's room for the ecu to wring out more power with a higher octane rating.
You're assuming that the gas really is 93 octane. In light of the fact that even people that run gas labeled as 91 octane do not get knocking, my guess is that your gas is not really 93. There are many unscrupulous gas stations that water gas down somewhat to make more money.

Quick Reply: Maximum octane?