Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007 | 05:04 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Default Slow Crank

Need your help. I have had this issue for about 6+months and the dealer is stumped (no surprise). When the car is cold it fires right after about three cranks. When the car is hot it cranks very slow and 5 + cranks and you are just holding the key waiting to see if it will start. I have a new battery, 2 alternator and still the same issue. Dealer says for what ever reason that the alternator is not putting out the full 13+ volts it is just short of that. Any thoughts on were to look next? Battery cables since it is a hot start problem??

Thanks everyone in advance

Dave
Old 11-12-2007 | 05:46 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

have the dealer looked into the starter itself? Had an hot slow crank issue long ago and it turned out to be the starter.

George
Old 11-12-2007 | 05:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Where are you? (Environment?) Have you ever experienced this with another car in the same area? If the alternator isn't putting out sufficient voltage to keep the battery charged up they should be putting in a new voltage regulator, no?
Old 11-12-2007 | 06:06 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Edgy01 I'm in SoCal. San Clemente. My dealer is Newport. So no to the first question I live in what could be the easiest place for a car to deal with. Never hot never cold. I'll add the volt. reg to the list for the dealer to check. GeoT3 I do have a new starter now that you mentioned it. It's too bad we have to solve these issues for the dealer. Where did all the mechanics go?
Old 11-12-2007 | 07:01 PM

My 07 997S cranks much slower than the 07 Caman loaner I just had...night and day difference.
Old 11-12-2007 | 07:35 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

at least you got a Porsche loaner. I am getting very familiar with the low end of the Chrysler products that are available. haha
Old 11-12-2007 | 11:15 PM
nyca
Drifting

the voltage regulator is typically built into the alternator. a bad alternator is easy to debug - while the car is running, you measure the voltage across the battery, its either 13+ volts or it isn't.

this sounds like a starter issue, perhaps a loose connection to the hot side of the starter, maybe when the car is hot, the connection expands a little and it can't draw the full dose of cranking current.
Old 11-13-2007 | 09:16 AM
drmarkp
Advanced

If you were a betting man. Slow crank when hot = starter. Slow crank when cold = battery / alternator etc. I had same symptoms and same new battey etc on my BMW 5 series. New starter fixed it eventually!
Old 11-13-2007 | 11:39 AM
Bigwave
Instructor

Thanks everyone. I need to bring it in for them to keep for another week to fix about 10 issues that I have (which means they will fix 3 and tell me the rest are fixed but are not) I sure hate this dealer service run around. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 11-13-2007 | 05:25 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Could be the following issues:

1-Defective Vapor lock purge valve (if vehicle is turning but does not fire could be vaporized fuel in the system, so the fuel in its liquid form is not spraying until the system purges out the vapor fumes).
2-Starter
3-Alternator
4-Battery
Old 12-02-2007 | 03:40 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Update for everyone. Turns out the issue was the wire harness to the starter was melted. This would not allow the full cranking amp to be available to a heat soaked starter which would require a little more juice to turn. Also since this had been an issue for awhile the starter was also beginning to fail. What a difference. My car now has a very cool starter sound and is very quick. I hear a lot of 911's that crank fairly slow and this could be an issue for a few of them out there that has not been properly diagnosed.

Thanks again to everyone's help and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Dave
Old 12-02-2007 | 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bigwave
Update for everyone. Turns out the issue was the wire harness to the starter was melted. This would not allow the full cranking amp to be available to a heat soaked starter which would require a little more juice to turn. Also since this had been an issue for awhile the starter was also beginning to fail. What a difference. My car now has a very cool starter sound and is very quick. I hear a lot of 911's that crank fairly slow and this could be an issue for a few of them out there that has not been properly diagnosed.

Thanks again to everyone's help and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Dave
Thanks for posting the solution...so many come here w/ problems and forget, or just don't take the time to post to the solution/outcome. My 07 997S cranks kind of slowly and has since day one...next time I take it in I'll have them heck out what you've mentioned. As I mentoined a few posts up the Cayman loaner I recently had cranked so much faster than my 997 S.

Hey if you can post a sound clip of how your car now cranks it would be most useful for us to compare to.
Old 12-02-2007 | 04:20 PM
nyca
Drifting

I knew it!
Old 12-02-2007 | 10:25 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

500 You need to have that looked at. I thought mine was normal at first until it got worse with time. But this car never cranked the way it does now. Before it was 1 beat, 2 beat, 3 beat, start. Now its 123start. Night and day.
Old 12-02-2007 | 10:28 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Ah sounds like you solved it...

But gasoline can also change the way your engine performs.

Try different gasoline, I've been happy with Chevron 91.

Quick Reply: Slow Crank