Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacks, Jacks, and More Jacks..for your trunk.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007 | 07:45 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Default Jacks, Jacks, and More Jacks..for your trunk.

Okay, I bought a tire repair kit since the 997 has no tire. Then I thought...how about a small scissors jack. The dealer wanted $$$$$$, even the Porsche junk yard wanted $250. Jacks at PepBoys....too big and not low enough. Then at NAPA for $39 they had a small perfect jack (okay not perfect, made in China) that goes as low as 4.5". light, no bigger than a foot long, fits perfecty in the trunk for emergency use...its even red to match the car! Sooooooo, if you are looking for a small portable jack for those who might have repair the flat tire and want to take the tire off for ease of repair...try NAPA.
abe
Old 12-13-2007 | 08:36 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by abe
Okay, I bought a tire repair kit since the 997 has no tire. Then I thought...how about a small scissors jack. The dealer wanted $$$$$$, even the Porsche junk yard wanted $250. Jacks at PepBoys....too big and not low enough. Then at NAPA for $39 they had a small perfect jack (okay not perfect, made in China) that goes as low as 4.5". light, no bigger than a foot long, fits perfecty in the trunk for emergency use...its even red to match the car! Sooooooo, if you are looking for a small portable jack for those who might have repair the flat tire and want to take the tire off for ease of repair...try NAPA.
abe
Abe - haven't you learned your lesson about taking shots at the Chinese. I'm gonna PM LeChef.
Old 12-13-2007 | 09:38 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

One thing to remember is will the jack fit under the chassis when the car is sitting on a flat tire - luckily you can jack up one whole side from either the front or rear jack point - still will be a hassle if your off on a dirt shoulder somewhere. As much as I dislike runflats (too heavy) you do see them on Vettes and I think the GT-R will have them too.
Old 12-13-2007 | 10:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Pictures, please! Model numbers...source(s)...
Old 12-14-2007 | 01:57 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Napa Lifting Equiptment 520-1002 comes is blue box 13"x5"x4". It is 2ton jack lift range 4 1/2" to 13", the load saddle measures 5"x 1 7/8"..not ideal but in an emergency it will do. I think the clearance for my Porsche is 5 1/2"...bring a couple of 2x4 to roll the car on or "Lift, honey, lift"..you decide.
Sorry, no picture...but go check it out a NAPA. I really looked around and this is the best I could do for an emergency situation in the middle of the desert/ or mountains with no phone reception or Porsche telling you it will be 3hrs.
Dan, I took your advice and went to a Union station off cheseboro in Agoura Hills. Put in about 6gals of 100 octane... after a little while I thought the car had better performance. At $6/gal I wont be doing that often, but was fun to try it out.....besides it may all be psychological.
Oh, one more thing while in the parking lot at NAPA this nice looking woman driving a convertible Massarati starts talking to me, you know the usual small talk "nice looking car..how big are those tires, blablabla" .....boy never had that happen when I drove my E420. If I only knew then what I know now. At almost 50 and happily married for 1/4 of a century, I cut the conversation short and got my fat little butt into the car ASAP.
abe

Last edited by abe; 12-14-2007 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-14-2007 | 11:31 PM
andre5
Instructor

Originally Posted by abe
I cut the conversation short and got my fat little butt into the car ASAP.
abe
I would have done the same thing!
Old 12-15-2007 | 12:04 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Don't usually associate babes and NAPA
Old 12-15-2007 | 08:26 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by abe
okay not perfect, made in China
When I bought my 4-post lift, the one thing that I heard over and over was "don't lift something heavy/valuable with something made in China". I would suspect that the same is true (albeit less dangerous than with a lift) here. Lifting something that costs almost $100K and weighs north of 3,000 lbs is not somewhere to economize.

Quick Reply: Jacks, Jacks, and More Jacks..for your trunk.