cmoss

it looks a little--um--dickish.

but maybe that's just me.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsche produced a vrey pricy aluminum shifter for the 997 which few took them up on. But it is out there. Check out the exclusive collection.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

the RUF shifter looks ugly......unless you already have a bunch of aluma-look stuff in the interior already.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:57 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JW911
Here's the stock shifter in my 2005 Carrera for comparison:
??? That's weird, I have a non-S '07 C2 and the shifter lit has ooks exactly like the one in post #3 (the one labled as the "S" shifter). I most definitly did not order this as an option. Perhaps they changed the non-S C2 to the S shifter at some point after '05?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 AM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I didn't care for the s-**** either and just replaced it last month with the turbo **** you pictured. Looks much better imo. but I'm not sure how much aluminum if any went into the production. It's very light and metal is not the first thing that comes to mind. Easy install.......about 2 minutes.
Looking at the instructions provided by B&M it looks like a far more time consumng project than 2 minutes. I'd like to change mine on my 08 c2s to the Turbo variety as well.

Can you give me any more DIY help as far as changing only the ****.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I didn't care for the s-**** either and just replaced it last month with the turbo **** you pictured. Looks much better imo. but I'm not sure how much aluminum if any went into the production. It's very light and metal is not the first thing that comes to mind. Easy install.......about 2 minutes.
Originally Posted by THinthedesert
Looking at the instructions provided by B&M it looks like a far more time consumng project than 2 minutes. I'd like to change mine on my 08 c2s to the Turbo variety as well.

Can you give me any more DIY help as far as changing only the ****.

Thanks in advance.

The 2 minutes he quoted was to replace the ****, not the shifter. Steps 1, 2, and 49 in the B&M instructions are all you need to replace the ****. Replacing the shifter with a B&M Short Shifter or OEM Sport Shifter will take 1.5 to 2.0 hours. After doine it once, you can do it in a little over an hour the next time.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:09 AM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
The 2 minutes he quoted was to replace the ****, not the shifter. Steps 1, 2, and 49 in the B&M instructions are all you need to replace the ****. Replacing the shifter with a B&M Short Shifter or OEM Sport Shifter will take 1.5 to 2.0 hours. After doine it once, you can do it in a little over an hour the next time.
Thanks Tim,

Can you tell me what this means?

STEP 1. Unclip leather boot A . Do I just lift the boot assembly? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoss
it looks a little--um--dickish.

but maybe that's just me.
Not that there's anything wrong with that....
Old 12-14-2007, 01:28 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by THinthedesert
Thanks Tim,

Can you tell me what this means?

STEP 1. Unclip leather boot A . Do I just lift the boot assembly? Thanks.
I have a 996 so my leather boot looks like the pic on the left in Step #2 (also pictured in Step #51). On the 996 boot there are some plactic clips that hold the boot in place on the rear center console. I would bet the the 997 boot is attached the same way.

Just slide a plastic spatula (to minimize scratches) under the aluminum look frame at the back of the U shape and gently pry the boot off. There should be 4 to 6 clips that hold the boot in place. The clips will "pop" a little when they release. Then work your way toward the front to get both sides loose.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Whaddya think of this shifter?