Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations on a hand car wash in CT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
thanks! i'll check out westport wash/wax as well.
Once out of the tunnel, make sure they open the front hood and rear engine cover to remove all the soap that tends to gather in there.

I always get a "Number 1 with tires" when I go. They will also give you a card and after so many punches, you get one free.

The detail center uses Simoniz wax systems along with a few polishes fom other mfg, but after seeing numerous cars come out, I'd have to say they're pretty good.

Classic Shine in Greenwich is more setup for REAL detail work as I send numerous customers there since I'm so busy. This is the shop you want to go to for full detail!

Whenever possible, you should learn to wash and protect the finish and interior yourself. It helps in learning the finish and interior condition so you can catch things before they get really bad. I know that some of us just don't have time, but I try to make time no matter what.

I too have black and "Scratch" really put a boat-load of marring on the finish. Due to the wide wheels, they cannot get it in the tunnel. Once all marred-up, the manager wanted to have his crew correct the finish and once I saw what they used for polishing, I told him forget it and why. They use orbital polishers, 16lbs ones. These are commercial and are good for say boat work, but not the best for automotive finishes. Most use terry bonnets, which if not changed can really burn the finish as the terry matts and becomes very hard and with the balled-up burnt ends, can do more damage.

I only use foam pads for most finishes unless it's severe, then I have to use wool. The two polishers I use is a rotary and a random orbital for small work.

I also only use Menzerna polishes as these have shown to be the best in the industry. They finish very very well and extremely glossy.

For protection, I use Zaino. Zaino has come out with Z-CS which is a wipe on, walk away sealant. No rubbing/buffing, just apply and that's it. Maintain with Zaino Z6 or Z8 detail spray and it's good to go.

Go and give Westport Wash and Wax a try and then use Classic Shine for detail work.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

thanks guys for all the good advice. deanski, big ups to you for the play by play. will definitely try those recommendations.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't have this at my house, but one of the next additions to the hacienda would be a HOT/COLD outside (or garage based) hose connection.

One could wash one's car in above freezing temps outside. Kewl.

I once hooked up a hose to my basement's sink .... and washed the car outside. Had a 75' hose ... 38* temps .... used kitchen gloves (blue XL), winter rubber boots .... drained hose. Done deal.

Don't know why I haven't done this since. Silver cars? Well, at least 2.

I rarely use commercial wash deals. Unless done by hand, it's a waste of time to drive there. I can wash my car in about 20 minutes. Do it every week and it's pretty much clean to start. JMO
Old 12-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
thanks guys for all the good advice. deanski, big ups to you for the play by play. will definitely try those recommendations.
Anytime.

I hope to see you out on the road one day.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I don't have this at my house, but one of the next additions to the hacienda would be a HOT/COLD outside (or garage based) hose connection.

One could wash one's car in above freezing temps outside. Kewl.

I once hooked up a hose to my basement's sink .... and washed the car outside. Had a 75' hose ... 38* temps .... used kitchen gloves (blue XL), winter rubber boots .... drained hose. Done deal.

Don't know why I haven't done this since. Silver cars? Well, at least 2.

I rarely use commercial wash deals. Unless done by hand, it's a waste of time to drive there. I can wash my car in about 20 minutes. Do it every week and it's pretty much clean to start. JMO
Ive washed cars in below freezing temps keeping the car on to prevent the water from freezing. Well, my friend and i didnt have anything to keep the driveway warm, so we ended up turning it into a sheet of ice. Boy that was a good night. (we washed his audi and my lexus at 25* at 230 in the morning).

Quick Reply: Recommendations on a hand car wash in CT?