Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Emergency (Tire) Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:31 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanxs Dan, going to add this to my kit as well.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:37 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 341 Posts

You should make an instructional video on how to plug a tire LOL!!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:37 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Dan, Nice job, write up and pics. Will put someting together.

As an aside, WTF with keys - I too lost a rear tire to a key coming back from a PCA event in Dover DE with about 300 miles on the car. Summer, roof and windows open, heard "clack, clack, clack", said to my Wife "Uh Oh", sped home, and upon pulling in the driveway got the "Flat Tyre" warning. Jacked her up overnight in the garage (weekend car), had P Assist flat bed the car (yeah, they wanted the entire car) to the nearest dealer, told the dealer to save the offending object (side bet riding), and sure enough it was a F'in key. I will post pics when I get the chance. Also had tire warranty - other then minimal sales taxes, free to me (otherwise over $800 all told).

I keep what is left of the key in the 'boot' to appease the tire gods.

After the experience, on trips my wife watches for signs, etc, while I watch the road (ie the first 100 yds or so in front of the car).

Watch for keys - they seem to have an affinity for our tires!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How do you re-inflate the tire? Don't you need a 12v DC inflator in the kits?
Old 04-30-2009, 02:05 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^^^
A pump comes with the 997 cars. Some say it's rather "anemic" in use so they upgrade to a better one.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Side question:
Since your car is PTS, did Porsche supply you with the touch-up paint at time of delivery??
Old 04-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by helispud
^^^^^
A pump comes with the 997 cars. Some say it's rather "anemic" in use so they upgrade to a better one.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan

Great help to see the emergency kit. I've added a couple of those $0.99 packs of industrial hand cleaner cloths that will also work on the tools. Every thing in the kit fits nicely in the compartment that houses the CD changer.

You recommended the red plug strips. Have you ever tried using rubber plug that looks like a small rubber bullet instead of the strip? It comes with an insertion tool that looks like an overgrown hypodermic needle. I was just wondering if these are better or easier than the strips.

I saw the kit at: www.patchboy.com It's called the "X-tra Smooth Tire Plug Kit." It runs about $25.

Kevin
Old 05-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Dan

Great help to see the emergency kit. I've added a couple of those $0.99 packs of industrial hand cleaner cloths that will also work on the tools. Every thing in the kit fits nicely in the compartment that houses the CD changer.

You recommended the red plug strips. Have you ever tried using rubber plug that looks like a small rubber bullet instead of the strip? It comes with an insertion tool that looks like an overgrown hypodermic needle. I was just wondering if these are better or easier than the strips.

I saw the kit at: www.patchboy.com It's called the "X-tra Smooth Tire Plug Kit." It runs about $25.

Kevin
On that same site (http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/mercha...tegory_Code=ki) they show a mushroom repair kit... does this kit alone look sufficient to repair a tire (using the "anemic" porsche inflater)?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I would always recommend that plug kit buyers spend some time plugging tires BEFORE you wind up needing to do it at the side of the road. The tires on these cars are severely corded,--and you will need to really auger out that hole larger to get the plugs into them. The best way is to rotate the tire to such a location that you can get some leverage in there. Ideally, we should have a small jack in the trunk to aid in locating the offending key or nail! I also now carry a can of brake cleaner in my kit to help to lubricate the plug so that it goes in a little easier. This is not a job for the mild mannered sports car gentlemen! Practice first!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I would always recommend that plug kit buyers spend some time plugging tires BEFORE you wind up needing to do it at the side of the road. The tires on these cars are severely corded,--and you will need to really auger out that hole larger to get the plugs into them. The best way is to rotate the tire to such a location that you can get some leverage in there. Ideally, we should have a small jack in the trunk to aid in locating the offending key or nail! I also now carry a can of brake cleaner in my kit to help to lubricate the plug so that it goes in a little easier. This is not a job for the mild mannered sports car gentlemen! Practice first!
your toolkit looks great, but where does one learn how to use these tools? I'm far from a 'mild mannered sports car gentleman' but have no idea what half (or more) of those tools do? this is my first car without a spare...
Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Kevin K
Instructor

<<The tires on these cars are severely corded,--and you will need to really auger out that hole larger to get the plugs into them.>>

Dan,

Sounds like the string type plugs require less augering; i.e. less effort? Since I'm only looking for a temporary solution to get me back on the road and to the tire shop, I can't think of any reason why I'd want to attempt anything more difficult than the easiest possible fix.

Kevin
Old 05-11-2009, 12:07 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Originally Posted by E55AMG
You should make an instructional video on how to plug a tire LOL!!
Here is a video (part of a series) that covers plugging a tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLoLe5qebds

As Edgy mentioned this is a great way to get back to civilization if you are stranded out in the boonies with a flat.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 AM
JMaples
Advanced

Edgy, you may want to add one of these -- http://powertank.com/products/sfID1/36/productID/115 -- to your kit. For those of us that are less resourceful (i.e., lazy), they also appear to have a pretty nice, preassembled tire repair kit -- http://powertank.com/products/productID/186.

In the essence of full disclosure, I do not have any affiliation with these folks nor have I tried any of their products. They do appear to get positive reviews based on a couple of quick google searchs, however.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

I'm sticking with Edgy's kit although the CO2 canister, though expensive, certainly looks more appealing than digging out the Porsche Air Compressor. Thanks for sharing the link.

Their kit includes "steel wire to sew a sidewall????" I can't imagine trying to sew a tire, while on the car no less, with wire and presumably one big mother of a needle. Even if I could do that, and assuming they threw in the thimble, I'd be afraid to drive even at 30mph with a sewn sidewall. Anyone ever driven on a sewn sidewall?

I also saw some comments about the T-style tools with replacement probes, needles etc. that are secured via the small hex screw on other sites selling the same types of tools. Folks were complaining that the screw didn't hold and the probe would come out when subject to some serious pulling.

IMHO, seems like the pistol grip non-changable tools are the way to go.

Kevin

Quick Reply: 997 Emergency (Tire) Kit