Sponsored by:

C2S X51 vs. Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C2S X51 vs. Twin Turbo

Well I've come to the conclusion that my poor ol' 2005 launch car will never be the same since the accident, so I will likely purchase something new in the spring. I've begun the contemplation, and thinking either another C2S with the Power Pack, or a Twin Turbo. I've got no experience driving either, so wanted to solicit some opinions from anyone who does.

Specific questions:

1) I love the lightness and feel of the clutch in my C2S. Does the clutch in the Turbo have approximately the same feel, or is it heavier?

2) How noticeable is the Power Pack on the C2S? Is it worth the $$? I've searched this topic in the archives, and have a general sense already. But wanted some additional feedback.

3) Can you still get the C2S with PCCBs??? I've built a sample car on the Porsche online configurator, and no longer see this as an option. Since I have them on my curent car, they are a MUST for the new one. I LOVE them!

4) Lastly, if given the choice, and putting aside any money issues, which would you guys choose, and why: (a) a fully-loaded C2S with PCCB's (assuming they are available) and Power Pack, or (b) a Twin Turbo?

Any feedback, opinions, and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:35 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My baby (Sally) better not hear this but I thought of upgrading to the Turbo. Power is so addicting and with the Turbo you can easily mod it.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

First question:

Do you need all wheel drive? If yes then TT

Now to your questions:

1) The TT clutch is lighter (not an attribute in my book)
2) Very and I have owned two of them, great package (others who have never owned the package will disagree because they claim it is too expensive, but who defines value?)
3) Yes, and agree on the ceramics 100%
4) See my first question, but in summary if you want to do the work piloting the car (C2S). If you want the car to do the work (TT or C4S)

I had a 996 TT which, while a great car, was dissatisfying to me, I sold it and bought a GT2 which I loved.

Maybe a fairer comparison is TT to GT2 and C4S to C4S (X51).

The biggest factor for me in the choice is the engine block in the TT/GT2, it is more robust and is bullet proof. but for many (including Porsche) it is probably overkill.

I would buy a GT2 but I would not buy a TT (don't need AWD or want the various aids)

I have probably confused the issue, but you'll have some fun sorting it out for you needs.

It is all about choice, and it is your choice.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

"I would buy a GT2 but I would not buy a TT (don't need AWD or want the various aids)"

It's easier said than done. GT2s are going to be rare as hen's teeth.

Personally, I say go with a loaded C2S. The turbos are more flash and dash and the C2S has a great feel to it, esp. with the PCCBs. You are smart to want them again. They will be all on my future Porsches.

I didn't want a turbo because of the different way of driving the car,--to keep the turbo spooled up,--and the power production the the C2S is great as it is. The only thing I would ever consider would be the X51 option. No one in the states needs 480ps.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:26 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Specific questions:

1) I love the lightness and feel of the clutch in my C2S. Does the clutch in the Turbo have approximately the same feel, or is it heavier?

2) How noticeable is the Power Pack on the C2S? Is it worth the $$? I've searched this topic in the archives, and have a general sense already. But wanted some additional feedback.

3) Can you still get the C2S with PCCBs??? I've built a sample car on the Porsche online configurator, and no longer see this as an option. Since I have them on my curent car, they are a MUST for the new one. I LOVE them!

4) Lastly, if given the choice, and putting aside any money issues, which would you guys choose, and why: (a) a fully-loaded C2S with PCCB's (assuming they are available) and Power Pack, or (b) a Twin Turbo?

Any feedback, opinions, and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Can't answer #1
#2 Yes it is very noticeable. Drive one with and without X51 at the same time and I think you'll agree. It is worth the money IMO and it seems like everyone who has it agrees. I doubt you'll find many (any) who have it who are sorry.
#3 The configurator doesn't have all the options that are available on it. I'm sure the brakes are still available and I agree they are awesome.
#4 I choose the X51 with PCCB's. That is what I did although I bought a C4S. But then I've never been a big fan of Turbo's, they're great cars just not for me. One thing I have always liked about Turbos is the rear end, their bodywork has been the best of the 911's for 30 years. And I like AWD. So I have a C4S which has both (with X51 and PCCB's). You might find that an interesting combination of looks and power.

Don't know if the looks of the GT3 appeal to you but that should run about the same money as a Turbo similarly equipped. Have you given that any consideration?

Tony
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2 cents.

I have a loaded 06 C2S with everything but X-51, wish I had it but I am creating it Cheaper in the after market. Currently I have the Plenum and an e-bay header. I have bought but not yet received the X-51 Air box, a used AWE complete system, and the Front radiator. Then I will add the APR software and a slightly larger TB from RSS.

When I am done I think I will have the same if not better then performance of the x-51 option for under $6,000.

My Point is if money is no issue then buy a new car if it is find a nice used C2S with all the options and enjoy.

I personally find a NA more fun and less artificial the a turbo or supercharged car. I have the had them both(not a Porsche though). Currently have an A3 2.0T and it is a great daily.

Best thing to to do is really drive a turbo then decide, you know what a C2S is like.

I think PCCB'S are a must have.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:52 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question regarding the all wheel drive. I don't necessarily need/want it, but the experience I've had with it was equally as fun for me as the C2S. I find both rear wheel and all wheel entertaining and satisfying, just in different ways.

When I was in Germany this year, I rented a Porsche and ended up with a C4 non-S, with Tip. Before I drove it, I was bummed that it was (a) non-S, (b) all wheel, and (c) tip. But wouldn't you know it, I had an absolute BLAST with this car, especially on the Autobahn! Totally different feel than my 6 speed C2S, but still very fun. When blasting 250+ kph on the Autobahn, I found the tip actually was a great tool.

Anyway, I'm neutral on the issue of rear wheel vs. all wheel.

I have indeed contemplated the GT-3, but given the overall lackluster quality of many of the road surfaces in Chicago/Omaha, where the car will spend most of its time, I'm concerned the ride may end up too harsh for my use.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

No way will you create the X51 package for less, and you will run the risk of avoiding the warranty. How much is that worth?

Why do people think that they can out engineer Porsche? Why do they think they can out engineer Porsche on their limited budget?

If it were that easy, the world would be different.

PT Barnum had it right!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the C2S and had a 6GT3 prior to this car. To me it is all about weight and then the distribution of the weight as I track quite a bit. The Turbo is heavier than the C2S and, I believe, has a worse rear weight bias. This translates into worse times on the track compared to the 7GT3 by quite a bit. I would bet that the X51 C2S might give it a run for the money on a windy track. Also, can't stand the look of the Turbo. Lot's of gills, garish LEDs, etc.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:05 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

x51 is outstanding. Really. The torque and "willingness" of the motor is very impressive for a normally aspirated 3.6. Also, the gearing is better than the GT3 (for the streets, at least).

I have never seriously driven a TT, so I can't really compare. I can say that the X51 is incredible.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:16 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

If you can find the X51 on a resale car I would go for it. Pricing will probably be close to a car without it.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

I agree with those who have chimed in with their first hand experience with the X51 Carrera S. Whereas I wouldn’t call it a must have option like I would the PCCB’s it does change the character of the car in both mid range everyday driving and full throttle/high rpm back roads fun. The factory X51 kit is the total package; improved midrange torque, improved high rpm hp and full factory warranty.

I have had my name in with a deposit for about 3 years for a new Turbo S when they become available. I am having second thoughts if I want to part with my 3.8 liter X51 C2S.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:26 AM

If you can, wait for the '09 DFI cars that are supposed to be out in the spring.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

I considered both and ultimately purchased a C2S with X51 and PCCB (+ sports seats and full leather). For me the decision was to get the purest driving experience and the Turbo's all wheel drive, extra weight and compexity was a turn off.

I'm very happy with my decision. The X51 is a jewel of an engine package with generous torque throughout the range and an eagerness to rev that must be felt to be appreciated. It's a fully engineered package that delivers as good a daily driving experience you're likely to find in any Porsche. For me, daily driving practicality was important and the car has over 32k miles on it since August '06 including more than 1000 track miles - completely trouble free.

Don't be fooled though... If you want grunt and pure acceleration, an X51, PCCB equipped C2S won't hold a candle to a Turbo. The Turbo makes 100 hp more but more importantly, makes 460 ft. lbs of torque at 1950 rpm and right on up the rev range. That's about 60% more torque than the X51 at a much lower rpm. In short, the Turbo will flat out smoke an X51 car in a drag race. I've driven both and would categorize the X51 as very fast, the Turbo as scary fast.

For me, I would choose the same next time, or maybe a GT3 (wasn't available in Mar '06 when I ordered my C2S). GT2 is a whole different beast. Maybe in a couple years...

MC
Old 11-29-2007, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by H20NOO
I considered both and ultimately purchased a C2S with X51 and PCCB (+ sports seats and full leather). For me the decision was to get the purest driving experience and the Turbo's all wheel drive, extra weight and compexity was a turn off.

I'm very happy with my decision. The X51 is a jewel of an engine package with generous torque throughout the range and an eagerness to rev that must be felt to be appreciated. It's a fully engineered package that delivers as good a daily driving experience you're likely to find in any Porsche. For me, daily driving practicality was important and the car has over 32k miles on it since August '06 including more than 1000 track miles - completely trouble free.

Don't be fooled though... If you want grunt and pure acceleration, an X51, PCCB equipped C2S won't hold a candle to a Turbo. The Turbo makes 100 hp more but more importantly, makes 460 ft. lbs of torque at 1950 rpm and right on up the rev range. That's about 60% more torque than the X51 at a much lower rpm. In short, the Turbo will flat out smoke an X51 car in a drag race. I've driven both and would categorize the X51 as very fast, the Turbo as scary fast.

For me, I would choose the same next time, or maybe a GT3 (wasn't available in Mar '06 when I ordered my C2S). GT2 is a whole different beast. Maybe in a couple years...

MC
+1

Quick Reply: C2S X51 vs. Twin Turbo