Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer overfilled oil-question for the experts

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 908 Likes on 504 Posts

this thread makes a great case for learning to do a DIY oil change on this car.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first time I had my oil changed by the dealer, the same thing happened to me. When I got home, I loosened the drain plug, so it was just dripping. A hour later, I re-tightened and it had drained a 1/2 quart and the level was one bar below.

Almost everyone who gets the oil changed at the dealer will have the oil a little overfilled. They just pour in a set amount, but rarely do they wait the alloted time to allow all the oil drain out. After watching the tech change the oil, I do all oil changes myself and don't have to worry about overfilling.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:16 PM
drmarkp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relax. Much fuss about nothing. Most dealer refills will read full = or one bar over. They add a measured amount - it's not guesswork - and there will always be some oil left in the system hence the slight overfill. It's marginal, normal after a service and your car will soon burn it off (and quite quickly given some of the other threads on here!).
Old 12-01-2007, 02:59 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
OK, I'm confused. There are dozens of posts here saying a gage showing full bars when motor is cold means over-filled condition, not "full" condition. Is this a problem or not?
See owners manual.

Originally Posted by nyca
this thread makes a great case for learning to do a DIY oil change on this car.
Learn how here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...62&postcount=1
Old 12-02-2007, 11:05 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would not fret it.

The Electronic Measurement is more of an approximation than an accurate system.

Showing "over-full" could be a result of 1 or 2 oz. of additional oil triggering the sensor to the over-full indication.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:48 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted an update but for those that missed it the dealer took out about 3 teaspoons of oil and it dropped to one bar below full!
I was considering changing the oil, i like getting my hands dirty, but for resale i decided to just have the dealer go ahead and do it.

cheers
Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 AM
drmarkp
Advanced

Three whole teaspoons? Should have put it on a flat bed and dialled 911. Glad they managed to save the engine!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

My sensor seems to fluctuate between overfilled and not overfilled depending on its mood. I don't put much faith in it anymore which begs the question "Why didn't Porsche give us a manual dipstick?"
Old 12-04-2007, 10:36 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drmarkp
Three whole teaspoons? Should have put it on a flat bed and dialled 911. Glad they managed to save the engine!
Im just hoping that this overfill didnt cause long term engine damage, keeping my fingers crossed !
Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Relax.

They'll bill you for a full quart even if they only used a drop. Every opened quart bottle of oil must be charged to the customer. Doesn't mean they poured the whole thing in.

Your observation of full bars indicates just that - full condition. That's what they're trained to do - to fill it up to full.

You can take it back to Newport if you like. But you'll end up just wasting your time.

I don't know about Porsche...but at Mercedes no one sits there opening up individual quart bottles. These are bought by the drum and they certainly can be adjusted to a fraction of a quart.
abe

Last edited by abe; 12-06-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:00 PM
drmarkp
Advanced

I'd sell it pronto. Sounds terminal to me. Most engines never recover properly after a three teaspoon overdose. I sold my S after overfilling the front tyre by 4 PSI. Well, you can't be too careful - I may have buckled the wheel.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:19 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drmarkp
I'd sell it pronto. Sounds terminal to me. Most engines never recover properly after a three teaspoon overdose. I sold my S after overfilling the front tyre by 4 PSI. Well, you can't be too careful - I may have buckled the wheel.

Do you think i should disclose the fact that the engine may have been terminally damaged to a potential buyer? I know i will probably take a big hit $ wise, but i want to do the right thing?
I also used a non P leather conditioner the other day which im sure wont help either.

Thanks for any advise.

Quick Reply: Dealer overfilled oil-question for the experts