Sponsored by:

997 Targa Ownership pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 PM
drodg
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 997 Targa Ownership pros and cons

As I am wearing myself out trying to make a decision on a new or pre driven 997. I am now also considering the Targas. Do they creak and how hot do they get? How is the driving in open weather? Thanks Again and Again for the help.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:29 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 11-24-2007, 05:30 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many used Targas have you found?!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:33 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Creaks: I haven't had any but I believe one other person here complained of leaks in his T4S.

Climate Control: I've worn a suit in one in August and found the AC to be quite adequate. In the cold I was able to drive with the roof open in 40 deg F weather, w/o wearing a jacket, thanks to the heated seats.

Driving in the open weather: If on a scale of 1 to 10, the openness of a coupe is 1 with the sunroof closed and maybe 3 with the sunroof open, and a fully open cabriolet a 10, a 997 Targa gives you openness between say 2 and 7 or 8. It can feel quite open. The glass roof is unique however and allows a visual openness that is very neat when driving through forests or downtown among tall buildings.

When the roof and shade are completely closed, some light still comes through the roof. This didn't bother me at all, but I could see that some people may not like it. No need to worry about sunburns though- the roof glass filters out UV. The Targa models were updated in 2008 to have a more opaque roof screen, so I would think it should be an issue for very few people.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:37 PM
drodg
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I haven't actually been seen any 997 Targas used and I kind of bumped myself up to new left over 2007's. There are some 07 Targas left over.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:50 PM
printemps2001
Instructor

I seriously considered both (just so happened I found a dealer with similarly equipped C4 and C4Targa, even the same color), and decided on the coupe. Why?

1. The visibility is only so so out of the Targa, especially with the roof retracted.
2. The Targa option is expensive. For the added cost, I'd just get a cab if I lived in a climate where I'd use it often.
3. Seems the Targas aren't selling all that well and I was somewhat concerned about resale. If I were to get a Targa, I'd lease it and let someone else take the risk until there is a better feel for what the used car market can bear. This is especially true since much of what is on lots are the same as Porsche delivered identically speced Targas to all the dealers. Which brings up another point.
4. Look around. You may find a dealer with an identical car that is really hungry to sell.

At the end of the day, I didn't think the Targa was worth the added freight and reduced visibility for the use I'd get from it. If you do, get it; you'll love it. The big open roof is really nice.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:35 PM
NJtarga4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the targa is really a wonderful compromise, however every car is a compromise. It is great in the winter because it is light and airy. You can keep it open much more than a cab. Can you see perfectly all the time out the rear view mirror=of course not but can you see adequately-yes. The resale depends how long you want to drive it. ai think its a perfect compromise and want to keep it as long as I can drive.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:56 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by printemps2001
I seriously considered both (just so happened I found a dealer with similarly equipped C4 and C4Targa, even the same color), and decided on the coupe. Why?

1. The visibility is only so so out of the Targa, especially with the roof retracted.
2. The Targa option is expensive. For the added cost, I'd just get a cab if I lived in a climate where I'd use it often.
3. Seems the Targas aren't selling all that well and I was somewhat concerned about resale. If I were to get a Targa, I'd lease it and let someone else take the risk until there is a better feel for what the used car market can bear. This is especially true since much of what is on lots are the same as Porsche delivered identically speced Targas to all the dealers. Which brings up another point.
4. Look around. You may find a dealer with an identical car that is really hungry to sell.

At the end of the day, I didn't think the Targa was worth the added freight and reduced visibility for the use I'd get from it. If you do, get it; you'll love it. The big open roof is really nice.

This is a great point, along with the price. If the price delta were something more reasonable, say $3k, it's one thing. But it's $7600, plus the fact that you have to get AWD, whether or not you would have gotten it. Looking at used, I'd certainly pick a targa over a hardtop for a similar price, but I doubt many would pay anything close to the cost of the option on a new car.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:59 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned the hatchback as a 'pro' for the Targa...personally, i think it would be very useful to be able to load the cargo area through a hatch rather than through the doors..especially for us golfers...
Old 11-24-2007, 10:40 PM
GoSpeedGo
Track Day

I just purchased my second Targa. My first was a 993. The latest one is a 997. I have other Porsches but could not imagine having anything else as a DD. The top is so rewarding in many ways. Great visibility, great open top feel, great looks that are unique to the 997 line-up. However, I think the greatest asset to the Targa is the ease of use of the top. You can have the open top feel in seconds. Even if it is just a 5 minuet drive. As easy as a sunroof but nearly the experience of convertible. To me, it is this ability to steal those small moments of motoring enjoyment that would probably be lost with your other options. Either way, it's a Porsche and how can you go wrong with that decision.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 PM
sparetireless
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Default cell phone is able to be used on a targa

important call, zip the top shut, it's also pretty cool in the rain. Roll bars make it arguably safer than a cab. If you roll a cab, you're done.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Circe
Advanced

Originally Posted by sparetireless
... Roll bars make it arguably safer than a cab. If you roll a cab, you're done.
How come? 997 Cabs have pop up roll bars.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Bollocks!

Originally Posted by sparetireless
important call, zip the top shut, it's also pretty cool in the rain. Roll bars make it arguably safer than a cab. If you roll a cab, you're done.
There are no roll over or pop-up bars in the Targa. But the Cab has two of them.

You might try inhaling facts rather than something that boosts your imagination!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Again to each is own. The visibility in the Targa is only reduced when the roof is retracted. Yes that glass is heavy and the weight is very noticeable going from the Cab to the Targa. The extra weight negates a little performance. But in a winter climate you can't beat em. I don't worry how popular the Targa is or how many Porsche is selling. It works for me.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:00 AM
sparetireless
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
There are no roll over or pop-up bars in the Targa. But the Cab has two of them.

You might try inhaling facts rather than something that boosts your imagination!
Everyone that has rolled a cab, chime in please......

Last time I checked the targa, it had some steel bars running from the A pillar to the C pillar, nothing to pop up.....

Quick Reply: 997 Targa Ownership pros and cons