Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Targa Ownership pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007 | 06:04 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

My only cab for a couple years was a Boxster S - top down virtually always. I had a 993 Targa and a 996 Targa. Given a choice only between couple and cab, I would choose a coupe. But I like the Targa concept and would get another one (not available when I traded my 4 month old 996 Targa for a 997s coupe). However, the Targa does seem to be "stuck" in the middle and resale values may suffer, so if that's a factor, you should consider it. I never noticed a "creaky" problem with 993 or 996, but my 993 top did get all mangled with the mechanism (under warranty) once.

These cars are not really "practical" in financial terms, so IMHO you should get what YOU like!
Old 11-27-2007 | 06:52 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

They would look better without the shiny trim pieces on the sides and the apparent C-pillar seam trim. I understand that the new Targas are not built on a cab chassis so I don't get why they have the C pillar seam trim other than to differentiate it from a coupe. I'd actually prefer that it looked exactly like a coupe except for the so-called targa top. And why isn't it offered in a RWD version...
Old 11-27-2007 | 11:45 AM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Per Geoff, I am the guy with the "creaking" problem. Took it the dealer and should have it back today. I was worried it would be one of those "the dealer cant hear it" problems but they ordered a part and should take care of it. Not sure the exact reason why yet but so far its been my only issue. Buying a 911 is even more difficult after reading the Paradox of Choice. Most people on this board are reasonable and stick with the same advice - buy what YOU want. For myself, the Targa was and remains the perfect choice...greenhouse effect, some open air feel, i love the wide hips, and with minimal (only at the limits) neg performance compared a C2S. Also, I just happen to think it looks the best...I like the trim piece over the doors but that is a matter of taste. Now, I also feel I will take a huge dep hit down the road but in my view any buyer of a 911 that worries about that shouldnt be buying it in the first place.

Last edited by kennygoodboy; 11-28-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2007 | 12:03 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default The last time I checked...

Originally Posted by sparetireless
Everyone that has rolled a cab, chime in please......

Last time I checked the targa, it had some steel bars running from the A pillar to the C pillar, nothing to pop up.....
Glad I have pop-ups. If the idea of driving a cab frightens you I suggest you stay in the shallow end of the kiddy pool.
Old 11-27-2007 | 12:05 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
I understand that the new Targas are not built on a cab chassis
It actually is built on the Cab platform. check the cut lines, they're identical.
Old 11-27-2007 | 12:10 PM
jjl
Instructor

Although i agree that the issue of depreciation is a relatively minor one, is it the consensus that a 997 Targa will depreciate more than other 997 variants (cab, coupe, turbo)? Why? Have targas historically suffered depreciation problems?
Old 11-27-2007 | 04:06 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

I tend to believe that it is too. But I've been told otherwise on this board. The latest ultra-reliable anonymously-provided info I got on this was that the 993 Targas were built on the cab chassis and that the current Targas start off as coupes. I'm sure Porsche's website has the definitive answer but not knowing for sure isn't bothering me that much.

Originally Posted by Le Chef
It actually is built on the Cab platform. check the cut lines, they're identical.
Old 11-27-2007 | 04:52 PM
drodg
Racer

thanks for the input. I would assume Porsche would make sure the body integrity is there. I had seen the creaking post and was wondering if other owners were having the same issue.
Old 11-28-2007 | 09:14 AM
tmc
Racer

"Looking" at the car and deciding it was built on the cab platform is pretty... stupid.

Edmonds, Excellence, and Christophorus have all said the 997 is built on the coupe frame.
Old 11-28-2007 | 09:43 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jjl
Although i agree that the issue of depreciation is a relatively minor one, is it the consensus that a 997 Targa will depreciate more than other 997 variants (cab, coupe, turbo)? Why? Have targas historically suffered depreciation problems?
I don't know if there's a consensus, but my sense of the market is that Targas are the smallest production non-GTx 911s. The people who buy Targas want Targas; it's not like they walk in looking for a coupe or cab, can't find one they like, so they settle for a Targa. Consequently on the resale side, it might be tougher to find Targa-oriented buyers, so sellers resort to trading at the dealer, leading to lower-than-expected trading prices.

On a personal note, my ideal street car is a Targa4S with X51, PCCB, and leather everywhere. Part of the reason I don't think I'd ever order one is that I'd take a bath on resale not only on the expensive options, but also on the Targa platform. I don't tend to keep cars very long, so I have to keep resale in mind. Just a point.
Old 11-28-2007 | 01:16 PM
tmc
Racer

nkhalidi, have an all leathered Targa 4S and love it. I also have a car trading problem (see below!).
But I had a 996 Targa, sold it, and man I regretted it! Targas stick to you like glue.
Old 11-28-2007 | 04:16 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=tmc;4824754] I also have a car trading problem QUOTE]

Damn, isn't that the truth. I've been fighting myself for several months over trading the cab and ordering a T4S. I've built the damn car a dozen times. I'm sure I'll buckle under over the winter.
Old 11-28-2007 | 07:09 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jjl
Surprised no one has mentioned the hatchback as a 'pro' for the Targa...personally, i think it would be very useful to be able to load the cargo area through a hatch rather than through the doors..especially for us golfers...
or us hockey players.....
Old 11-28-2007 | 08:08 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I like the Targa. In fact I prefer it over the 911 cabs.

Good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: 997 Targa Ownership pros and cons