Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible versus Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

I always think of the 911 as a convertible and think the cab with the roof up is the coolest look for the 911….hands down!

The 997 to my mind is the best looking cab ever as well….but I am clearly a cab guy and have, almost without exception, owned convertibles my whole life. To me if you have a choice between a closed coupe and a roof down Carrera how could you pick the coupe!

Good Luck with your choice!

Tom
Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 PM
energetik9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I've owned convertibles before and I love them. I went with a coupe simply because my wife already drives a BMW convertible and I didn't see the need for two. That and coupes were just more common in the used market.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:15 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ogun228
The question was about handling and driving experience. In that vein, unless you competitively track the car, you will be hard put to tell the difference. Someone said that Porsche "purposely made the cab 40% less stiff than the coupe". I wonder where this info comes from.

If no tracking, the difference is merely about open air driving.
I'd like to see where this information came from as well because I think it's BS. I seem to remember reading the specs on my car that said there was little difference in structural rigity. I'll try to find the information when I get the chance.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 PM
Loud223
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the lines of a coupe never considered a cab but just traded an 05 coupe for a 10 cab. The more I look at the cab the more I like the lines of the top. Hey switch it up, go from cab to coupe to cab. Have fun with it. We're not talking basic transportation here.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:19 PM
garyinseattle
Instructor

My last 911 was a coupe, but my last Porsche was a 987 boxster. I went with the 997 cab because the benefit of top down for the 4-5 months a year it is possible in Seattle, outweighs the minimal reduction in rigidity. This based on seat of the pants impression versus math. I also believe that the 997 cabs are fairly quiet and comfortable as compared to previous cabs. Mine is a dd also.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:33 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to have a Sports car the top should go down. I have been driving cabs since 1963 and would not have it any other way. Well my Cayenne isn't a cab so I guess I lied.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:45 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Here is my summary:
Coupe:
+ marginally better chassis dynamics (I say marginally, because both are fantastic... but the coupe is better)
+ marginally better looks vs. top down cab (subjective) and quite a bit better looks vs. top up cab (I'd nearly call this objective... )
+ better driving visibility
+ lesser sense of speed
+ better overall driving comfort on freeways due to better sound insulation
+ lesser sense of enjoying the exhaust note in other conditions

Cab:
+ better sense of speed
+ excellent visibility top down
+ lesser visibility top up
+ better ability to enjoy exhaust note

I looked at both cabs and coupes. I don't care about what car is considered "girly" or what others think, so it was all personal preference to me.

I live on the east coast. If I was in Cali, maybe I'd lean a bit more towards a cab, though my car visually is exactly what I wanted, so maybe not...

As anyone who isn't really biased one way or the other says, you can't go wrong with either.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:22 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Pete, you're welcome to come up to Evergreen and drive my turbo if you'd like to try it out. The exhaust note on the turbo isn't as nice as it is on an normally aspirated car, but it will give you some idea.
Then he's gonna want a turbo on top of the convertible!

Speaking from my other car being a 'vert everything said so far is right on. At low speeds you can hear exhaust better. Underpasses and tunnels are fantastic. At high speeds the wind noise takes over and it seems you can hear it less than a coupe thus nullifying the advantage.

Just put that fister on that's gathering dust in your garage if you want the louder sound!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Is that such a bad thing?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

You're either a convertible person or a coupe person. If you have to think about it, then you're not a convertible person. Save the money and buy the coupe.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Originally Posted by eviligloo
Just put that fister on that's gathering dust in your garage if you want the louder sound!
Chris, The good news is the Fister cans will fit a 997.2 convertible too.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Pete, you're welcome to come up to Evergreen and drive my turbo if you'd like to try it out. The exhaust note on the turbo isn't as nice as it is on an normally aspirated car, but it will give you some idea.
Dennis,

Thanks. Next time I am in Evergreen I will get in touch. Want to see your ride regardless. Cheers!
Old 04-01-2015, 11:15 PM
jets
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

This is a silly question. You clearly want a cab so just get one. Way better than coupe; hear the engine more and see all around when driving...wind in your hair if you choose. Personally I wouldn't bother with a coupe because it's my fun car and my truck already has a roof. If you're buying a GT3 there is a very good reason they don't make it in the cabrio flavour.

I even had a gal call me a "lucky fxxker" (in a nice way) at a light when I dropped the top to enjoy the weather.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:20 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

We're all "lucky fxxkers" to be driving these cars!

Tom
Old 04-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that the 997 was the first 911 engineered as a cab first to ensure rigidity. Rather than taking a coupe and cutting the top off then trying to figure out how to make it stiffer.

Either way - my cab is my fun car and I couldn't imagine not having a convert as a second car.

Quick Reply: Convertible versus Coupe