Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible versus Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015 | 11:01 AM
robh75
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
I believe that the 997 was the first 911 engineered as a cab first to ensure rigidity. Rather than taking a coupe and cutting the top off then trying to figure out how to make it stiffer.
This is exactly right. Still not as stiff as a coupe, but because of this I would be VERY surprised if it was 40% less stiff as previously mentioned.

Rigidity and looks aside, the great thing about a cab is you can turn it into a coupe at any time you want! Similarly with some others, my personal feeling on a sportscar (as a secondary car) has always been a convertible. If it was my only car, I would get a coupe, because I would need a roof rack. But I wouldn't be getting a car the size of 911 as my only car anyway.
Old 04-02-2015 | 11:07 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cole328
... I must admit, I salivate when I see a convert on the road ....
That's enough, get a convertible
Old 04-02-2015 | 11:07 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schpee007
Chris, The good news is the Fister cans will fit a 997.2 convertible too.
I will happily buy those Fister mufflers! Hate to see them go to waste...
Old 04-02-2015 | 11:50 AM
beden1
Pro

Porsche Carrera 997.2 Cabriolet
For the first time, development of the cabriolet version of the 997 led the design and engineering effort at Porsche with the coupé following. Porsche applied the logic that if you started with the more difficult cabriolet challenges (for chassis stiffness) the coupé version would simply be more rigid. Despite additional weight, the cabriolet versions attain nearly the same performance figures as their coupé counterparts. Even the rear tail comes up slightly higher on the cabriolets to compensate for differences in drag over the canvas top vs. the smoother coupé shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_997
Old 04-02-2015 | 02:55 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

My $0.02 - Coupe looks better than cab with top up, but cab looks better than coupe with top down. There is simply no substitute for the wail of the flat six with the top down. Top down in good weather, sound of the exhaust, light breeze, open air visibility……..can't beat it. Top up is almost like a coupe, good insulation from noise and elements. To me, there's a reason the 356 is iconic in roadster form………..if you think about it, this was part of the 911 DNA from the start. All that said, both are awesome.
Old 04-02-2015 | 03:57 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

I'm a roadster guy but the 911 convertibles looks a bit off to me, doesn't look good with the roof up, looks okay with it down. I prefer the looks of the 981, just looks like they designed it as a convertible not with convertible in mind like the 997. IMO

Last edited by Ynot; 04-23-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2015 | 12:51 AM
jets
Instructor

Originally Posted by beden1
Porsche Carrera 997.2 Cabriolet
For the first time, development of the cabriolet version of the 997 led the design and engineering effort at Porsche with the coupé following. Porsche applied the logic that if you started with the more difficult cabriolet challenges (for chassis stiffness) the coupé version would simply be more rigid. Despite additional weight, the cabriolet versions attain nearly the same performance figures as their coupé counterparts. Even the rear tail comes up slightly higher on the cabriolets to compensate for differences in drag over the canvas top vs. the smoother coupé shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_997
I remember reading that when I was pining for a 997. Sweet!
Old 04-06-2015 | 03:09 PM
s4alex
Instructor

I came from a Boxster and RARELY drove with the top down. Even with that cheap piece of plastic that was called a wind diffuser/deflector, it never worked. The car was mostly stock so, no real sound from the muted exhaust notes.

We bought the 911 as an upgrade and contemplated getting a coupe. Since we already had a 4 door and a truck, we figured we needed a convertible. At first we didn't use it top down for much until I spoke with another cab owner about the diffuser and if it works better than my old boxster. We got glorious recommendations about how good it works. Once we tried it, we never looked back. The car is top down anytime the weather permits. And in the SF Bay area, unlike our 2nd amendment rights, top down is permitted almost anytime.

What sealed the deal? After installing the Tubi ful exhaust and taking a drive through Skyline/Pescadero/La Honda area... OMG. With the top down blasting through the hills in Sport+ mode and top down? I had a smile ear to ear until I got home and still had a smile on my face. The sound resonating against the hills and just filled the cab with the exhaust sound.

I love the looks of the cab, especially with the GT3 full kit on it.
Old 04-06-2015 | 03:22 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by s4alex
I came from a Boxster and RARELY drove with the top down. Even with that cheap piece of plastic that was called a wind diffuser/deflector, it never worked. The car was mostly stock so, no real sound from the muted exhaust notes.

We bought the 911 as an upgrade and contemplated getting a coupe. Since we already had a 4 door and a truck, we figured we needed a convertible. At first we didn't use it top down for much until I spoke with another cab owner about the diffuser and if it works better than my old boxster. We got glorious recommendations about how good it works. Once we tried it, we never looked back. The car is top down anytime the weather permits. And in the SF Bay area, unlike our 2nd amendment rights, top down is permitted almost anytime.

What sealed the deal? After installing the Tubi ful exhaust and taking a drive through Skyline/Pescadero/La Honda area... OMG. With the top down blasting through the hills in Sport+ mode and top down? I had a smile ear to ear until I got home and still had a smile on my face. The sound resonating against the hills and just filled the cab with the exhaust sound.

I love the looks of the cab, especially with the GT3 full kit on it.
The 997.2 cab is great with the top down even without using the wind deflector. It has less wind turbulence as compared to any other convertible I've driven.
Old 04-07-2015 | 01:27 AM
ru'
Instructor

Shame they couldn't design the deflector so that you could put the seat back and still use it. Lots of tall people in Germany too...
Old 04-07-2015 | 10:13 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by ru'
Shame they couldn't design the deflector so that you could put the seat back and still use it. Lots of tall people in Germany too...
They changed the design in the 991. It's now a built-in feature that is placed further back.
Old 04-07-2015 | 11:50 AM
DB's997
Racer

New cab owner here, how do you Cab guys care for the top? I know it takes a different cleaning procedures and hate to destroy it out of ignorance.
Old 04-07-2015 | 12:07 PM
ru'
Instructor

Originally Posted by beden1
They changed the design in the 991. It's now a built-in feature that is placed further back.
That's good to know, cheers.
Old 04-07-2015 | 12:10 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DB's996
New cab owner here, how do you Cab guys care for the top? I know it takes a different cleaning procedures and hate to destroy it out of ignorance.
I clean & treat my top twice a year, other than that I don't fiddle with it. I use RaggTop - follow the instructions pretty literally, except I probably lay down about 4 coats of the fabric protectant. Other than that, maybe hose the dust off (lightly) a few times when washing the car throughout the year. Typically water on the roof during car washes is purely incidental.

Also I get pretty liberal with the gummi pfledge on ALL the rubber seals (including doors & frunk) probably every other car wash.

But - my car is nearly always garaged & the top is down 98% of the time. Treatment might be different if you live where it rains or park outside.

Dan
Old 04-07-2015 | 12:52 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

My top cleaning regimen is very similar to Dan's. I also use RaggTopp products - they are very good. I do rinse my top with water every time that I wash my car, but that's it. I also occasionally use a sticky tape roller to remove lint, and sometimes a vacuum.

Quick Reply: Convertible versus Coupe