Sponsored by:

Problem with Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Problem with Sirius Radio

I did the install to put the Sirius radio form a Cayenne in my 997 C4S and it's been beuatiful. Got the antenae under the front cowl, all is good.

however, twice now when I've starte dup my car I get a message saying the radio is not activated, and giving me the number to call, however, the radio is still playing the last station I was listening to in Sirius, and calling them to re-activate does nothing. All I can do is open up the trunk pull the power cable out of the unit and re attach then it all works again.

I'm trying to track down the root cause, it seems to be related to having switched to the FM radio prior to turning the car off while putting it in a parking garage.

Has anyone else seen anything like this at all?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:53 PM
skittlz74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot relate to this problem but I am glad you actually got to hide your antennae under the cowl! We had to move mine to the rear of the car and put it on the outside, on top of the rear deck lid due to the reception being absolutely HORRIBLE with the antennae under the front cowl!
Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

My 997 is at the shop having the Cayenne Sirius install. I will post if I have any issue.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:08 PM
kasendorf
Advanced

I've had the the same Sirius install on my 05 for about a year and a half and on a a few occasions experienced the same problem. Shutting the car down and restarting cleared it up for me. I remember reading something about t on this board so I don't think it is specific to your car.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I had the same problem once or twice before. I shutdown the PCM several times and also called Sirius. I think it was the loss of signal coupled by first time usage/activation.

I haven't had this problem to date. Only poor reception due to antenna placement. It's the same GPS/Sat antenna under the windshield wiper cover. I don't want to put some ugly antenna outside quite yet.

Deanski
Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't remember cuz I nearly NEVER listen to it ... if I have XM or Sirius. Doesn't really matter. Whatever ....

I had the dealer install it. Antenna under the cowl and integrates with the standard Porsche radio deal. It sux. I will never do this again.

I listen to satellite radio at the office and care for it a great deal. But, with the reception going in and out with the leaves, the trees, the over passes, yada, yada. It's only good here on the Super Slab running to VT. And, I virtually never drive there.

Big waste of effort IMO. Others will love it. My SigOh loves it in her Merc. Same/same deal. Always fades out. Reception is poor.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 AM
ramans
Racer

Shutting my car down and restarting didn't do it, I tried that twice, pulling the key out, maybe Ididn't wait long enough. I ended up stopping the car, getting out pulling the cover off the NAV DVD/Amp system and pulling hte hard plug on the sirius radio to fix it both times.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Time to go back to the dealer to see if they know of this problem.

I did have that very same problem, but it has not returned.

Another thing I noticed, in the PCM system, the Sat receiver is not "registered" into the PCM and has the exclamation icon in the triangle next to it. I'll have to see if they need to put the Porsche Diagnostic tool and re-add it.

BTW, I also have NAV and 6 CD changer.

Deanski
Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pull the "fuse" that the system is plugged into or you won't truly cut power off - thus you can perform a "system reboot"...

Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

I've had the same problem with my install. Happens every couple of weeks. I used to call SIRRUS and have them re-download the software, but found that it will reset itself when the car is turned off for a 15 minutes or so. My dealer has been unable to replicate the problem and doesn't have a fix. Just a minor inconvienance.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:38 PM
wsmknicks
Intermediate

I've wondered about the exclamation icon / not registered issue as well...I have a hunch that the non-registered Sat radio is why the AudioPilot doesn't seem to do anything...my cabin volume never varies.

My guess is that if the Sat radio is fully "part" of the fiber circuit and seen correctly by the CPU, the AudioPilot will work properly.

Unfortunately, Bev Hills Porsche does not seem interested in helping on the issue...
Old 11-07-2007, 11:58 PM
ramans
Racer

Okay I think I have a solid repro.

Basically it happens when I switch from Sirius to the CD and I have a MP3/WMA based CD in the player, listen to that in the garage, turn off the car on this mode. Turn on the car and then when I go back the sirius is in the wrong mode.

-R
Old 11-08-2007, 12:31 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 455 Posts

What shop in Annapolis are you using? I am in Bowie/Crofton, MD and may do this upgrade soon too.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:26 AM
MHK
Instructor

It happens to mine as well once every few weeks. There is a quick fix. You can reset your PCM by shutting the car off, lock the doors to the car, unlock the doors to the car and open and close the car door, then turn the car back on. This resets the PCM and it corrects the problem when I get it.

In regards to the antenna, it is extremely sensitive where under the cowl you put it. It took me a couple of times to find the right spot, and now I get perfect reception.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:33 PM
srom
1st Gear

Quick question for you - today I was busy installing the Cayanne Sirius retrofit into my 997 - I am having a problem with no antenna found message - can someone please tell me what color antenna wires ( ie Green and brown at reciever) connect to which connector on the antenna - which of the three connectors on the antenna is for the navigation antenna?

Thankis for your help - all of the pictures I have found on the net do not show the antenna connections.

Quick Reply: Problem with Sirius Radio