Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full leather interior OR Nav and 6 disc changer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Agree with everyone.

Full leather all the way. Make the car so special when you sit inside. You won't go back to plastic once you have full leather. I have it on both my Porsche.

Skip the CD changer. It is not hard to change the single CD in-dash.

Not sure about Nav. I use it as a map sometimes.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

I would definitely take full leather over Nav and 6 disk CD Changer, especially when you're picking sand beige for the interior color. The base interior in anything other than black, looks cheap IMHO. And the sand beige full leather interior that I have in my Club Coupe is by far the nicest interior I've had in a Porsche--I like it better than the natural brown leather interior that I had in the 996 Millennium Coupe that I owned.

I've had both Nav and the 6 disk CD changer, and frankly, I'd take a Garmin Nuvi 660 handheld, for Nav (less money, more features and you can carry from car-to-car). As for the Porsche trunk mounted CD changer, it is a nuisance. At least for me, I rarely changed out the disks, and thus, by and large listened to the same 6 disks for a long time. These days, if not dash mounted, I wouldn't pay a dime for a CD changer.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:33 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Work late Tuesday night and make some overtime money. Get both so you don't regret not having an option.

What color are you looking to get. I think the Blue that Edgy has is awesome. Beyond that the white is starting to grow on me.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:54 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Nav isn't that bad. The Garmin Nuvi or the Kenwood that I put in my Jeep will run circles around it. But it works well and has all the basic functions. It's a lot more expensive to add on. Now that I have full leather I probably can't live without it.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:38 PM
printemps2001
Instructor

Full leather and NAV; skip the CD changer. Why spend the money (not to mention the time required to care for it) for the gorgeous full leather and then muck up the interior with some hideous aftermarket GPS? Sure, the Garmin may work better and have more features, but realistically, when do you need more than basic directions? And do you really want to look like a big-hipped, frumpy wife in a Sienna? Why not just put a "my dumb kid was student of the month" sticker on your bumper too?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Restless
Rennlist Member

Depends how much driving you will be doing and where. Nav is a bit of a waste if you are never out of your normal area. Having recently moved to the NE, after living in western states, NAV is a must to find anything here. Streets are only marked with ONE street sign, they assume you know the one you are on!! Best feature is getting lost enjoying the area, then having the GPS find 'home' for you and getting you there. Other options available are the storage of tracks. Going with others to a new place, being able to retrieve information about where you have been, and being able to go back at a later date!! Garmin software comes with the ability to download to you pc any tracks you wish to keep.

You might take a look at the Garmin 376c, with XM and with XM weather (live tracking of weather across your GPS screen). I use the Bean bag mount that came with my BMW Garmin, when I switch it from the bike. Hate the suction cup look. The bean bag stays put on the Porsche dash, however I would remove before tracking the car!. It is also quick to remove from the dash and throw into the passenger footwell.
This one is currently selling for around $700 (plus the bean bag). It does not come with Bluetooth, which I do miss from my BMW model.
Nice thing with the Garmin models, is that when something new comes out, you can upgrade for full price of around $1000-1200, unless you grab the aircraft models.

Leather: definitely
For GPS, go with as little or as much as you want.

John
Old 11-01-2007, 07:13 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got full leather plus leather sunvisor, leather dome surrond, leather roof liner, and leather rear console, all in Cocoa

I LOVE IT!

the look, smell and feel is spectacular and everybody who gets in thecar does not want to get out!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:20 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mal28
I got full leather plus leather sunvisor, leather dome surrond, leather roof liner, and leather rear console, all in Cocoa

I LOVE IT!

the look, smell and feel is spectacular and everybody who gets in thecar does not want to get out!
... and depending upon who your passenger is, that's not necessarily a bad thing!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
Skip the leather. The sports seats are leather and you still get the smell without
full leather. The high end bose is cool and I am glad I have the six CD
player. The dash CD has held the CD in until I re-start the car a couple of times.
It is great to have a back up CD unit. Going to the track, I have enough music to not
listen to anything twice and I do not need to fumble for additional cd's. The
Nav is old school. Pump the sounds.
paul
Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 PM
drwilson
AutoX

Given the choices...definately full leather!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:08 PM
cascade
Rennlist Member

My sales guy talked me into the full leather, and I am very glad he did. It really gives the interior a great feel. I would have been disappointed without, in hindsight. Also got the CD changer and NAV. There is so little room in the cockpit, storing CD's would be a problem, so the changer is OK in my opinion. The NAV is not leading edge, but it's convenient to have it. My salesman said "you're gonna get the screen anyways -- might as well max out the usage of it."
Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 PM
MartyB
Racer

Well, it looks like we have virtual unanimity in favor of full leather over the Nav/changer combo. Thank you for helping to bring my priorities back into focus. I'm going to resume my search for a car with full leather and perhaps skip the gadgets. Money is not so much a limiting factor - I just don't want to load the car to the gills with overpriced options. I have received several offers at around 13% off MSRP on new '07 cars, which is not much more than people are asking for slightly used cars. I guess when folks pay 2-5% off MSRP on ordered cars or early model year cars and then pay full taxes, they don't want to sell at 20% off a year later. Consequently, I've seen a lot of cars for sale for a long time.

Originally Posted by printemps2001
And do you really want to look like a big-hipped, frumpy wife in a Sienna? Why not just put a "my dumb kid was student of the month" sticker on your bumper too?
What a vivid mental impression you brought to life. I was OK with the occasional (10% of the time) use of a portable GPS until I read your post

I do appreciate everyone's two cents worth.
Marty
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 PM
paddle4121
5th Gear

Get them all with the exception of the CD player. I have a 997 C4S cab with full leather, Bose w/single CD, and the Nav system. Nav is a boiler plate on almost every car over $50k - even more so when you are getting to price of even the 997 base. Full leather is great to have as well, but as one person mentioned - it is a lot of cow to clean. For the $ you will save over the CD changer, go to a high end audio dealer and get an iPOD link f you like lots of music
Old 11-01-2007, 11:57 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MartyB
Well, it looks like we have virtual unanimity in favor of full leather over the Nav/changer combo. Thank you for helping to bring my priorities back into focus. I'm going to resume my search for a car with full leather and perhaps skip the gadgets. Money is not so much a limiting factor - I just don't want to load the car to the gills with overpriced options. I have received several offers at around 13% off MSRP on new '07 cars, which is not much more than people are asking for slightly used cars. I guess when folks pay 2-5% off MSRP on ordered cars or early model year cars and then pay full taxes, they don't want to sell at 20% off a year later. Consequently, I've seen a lot of cars for sale for a long time.

What a vivid mental impression you brought to life. I was OK with the occasional (10% of the time) use of a portable GPS until I read your post

I do appreciate everyone's two cents worth.
Marty
If the money is similar, one advantage of used car from a Porsche dealer versus a new car is the CPO warranty. It adds another 2 years & 50,000 miles to the factory 4 year/50,000 warranty. Just another variable to consider!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

leather.

get a portable GPS if you need one. cheaper, portable and updates are cheaper.

as for 6 disc changer ... get an ipod or burn MP3s and play on the dash disc player.

Quick Reply: Full leather interior OR Nav and 6 disc changer?