Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nuvi / tom tom -- how good for bluetooth handsfree?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:04 AM
jollyjolly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nuvi / tom tom -- how good for bluetooth handsfree?

I'm curious how good the portable GPS units work as a bluetooth handsfree device. i.e.; how loud is the volume, and can the person on the other end hear you well?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:50 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by jollyjolly
I'm curious how good the portable GPS units work as a bluetooth handsfree device. i.e.; how loud is the volume, and can the person on the other end hear you well?
With the 660 Nuvi it is only okay. to the other person it sounds like you are in a far away place. It is better if you are not moving, but driving down the road it is not good enough for me!
Old 10-21-2007, 01:54 PM
birdman
Instructor

Bluetooth seems quality seems to vary. At times my earpiece is great, other times not so.
My experience with the NUVI 660 paired with a Motorola i880 is very good.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:06 AM
hjluvjj
Advanced

I had nuvi660, but returned it recently since bluetooth handsfree was useless. While driving, it's picking up too much noise so it was too tough to talk.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Nuvi 360 is a great GPS unit, but not that good for bluetooth.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I've tried some of these and a regular BT ear piece. When I call my friend, who drives an M3 convertable, we both can't understand anything. While the devices are not that great, the cars have a lot to do with the quality of the sound. I don't know about the everyone else, but I don't even bother listening to the Bose stereo due to the road and engine noise. I actually like listening to the engine more, but that's a different topic.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:01 AM
jollyjolly
Advanced

Thanks folks... I've a "jawbone" blue tooth headset. It's OK...the earpiece doesn't quite fit, so it sounds very tinny, and volume is not loud enough.

My wife's Lexus has a wonderful bluetooth system integrated with the stereo / wheel / nav-screen. I have bluetooth-envy
Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The have the Garmin Nuvi 660, it's microphone is not so good. I don't make calls anyway when I'm driving so I didn't buy it for that, everything else is amazing though. You will find that most of these unit's (no matter what company made the portable navi) do not have great mics.

Just use a bluetooth headset.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:27 AM
mdf
7th Gear

Hey Jolly -- try experimenting with all the different ear pieces and ear hooks that came with the Jawbone.... I had the same experience as you, and now I've got great results once the fit is right...kinda like ski boots!

The jawbone is a great headset for "noisy" applications. I was walking down Madison ave the other day talking to my wife and she thought I was in the office.

Quick Reply: nuvi / tom tom -- how good for bluetooth handsfree?