Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M removal question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help guys... I didnt use soap with the claybar but I did spray the adhesive cleaner to the area prior to clay baring. That reduce alot of the friction. I'll try waxing with the cleaner a few times to see if the haze goes away. Then there's always the swirls... beginning to wish I got a white or grey car instead of the midnight blue..
Old 10-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Swirls or marring will need a PC or rotary to remove them fully and correctly.

Although it can be done by hand, it's just too time consuming.

My guess is it's getting time to go to the detail shop and have them fully correct the finish before winter and put on a freash coat of wax or sealant whichever is your preference.

As much as I do detailing, I have all cars needing paint protection film done by installers trained and seasoned ones from the mfg. They do this all the time, have the tools and talent.

As for removal, this can be done by most anyone, but, one must still know the correct way to remove the film. Each mfg has a specific way, or how long a heatgun must be on the film. Some use contact thermometers (thin film ones) has they heat the film and once it turns a color, they remove the film.

You should be OK with any paintwork cleanser to get the finish at least nice and clean and ready for wax or sealant.

You think midnight blue is bad? Try it on black.. Now THAT'S a PITA to keep perfect. Porsche paint is soft as all hell.

Here's a tip for leather cleaning. Next time, don't get those "leather cleaning" solutions. Mix up 6 parts distilled water, 1 part Woolite in a spray bottle. Dirty leather, add 2 parts, but no more that 4. Use that to clean leather with. Wipe areas dry with white coton towels (100% cotton) to judge how dirty the leather is. Once cleaned and towels are not showing dirt, let dry for 24 hours with windows open. Once fully dry, then treat with your leather conditioner. Zaino Z-10 is as close to a leather smell as you can get. Or, use one that brings out the natural tanning oil smell. That one would be Sonus. Or a creamy conditioner like 1Z Lederpflege.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 10-08-2007, 02:47 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

It does not seem to me like the clay bar is the way to go. I would think some solvent lik a paint prep solution would work. It will strip the wax, but that can be replaced.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:17 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

WD-40 often works well at times like this. Also mineral spirits...

Originally Posted by DrPeter
It does not seem to me like the clay bar is the way to go. I would think some solvent lik a paint prep solution would work. It will strip the wax, but that can be replaced.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

although it's too late for the original poster, when I removed my 3M clear bra and had residue, I used Oil Flow Safety Solvent (which you can buy from Carcareonline.com) to loosen the residue, and a soft plastic bondo trowel to gently scrape it off the surface. When done, the paint looked good as new, with no swirls, scratches, etc...a coat of wax and all was good.

Clay bar is worthless for this purpose--the key is to dissolve the residue and lift it off the surface as gently as possible.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:28 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Can anyone recommend a reputable professional detailer in the dc metro area that you trust your car with

thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 03:04 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Before doing that, try hand-applying 3M Swirl Mark Remover. You'll have to wax it afterwards, of course.

btw, this stuff comes in two formulations for some reason. Get the one for dark colors...

Originally Posted by redduck996
Can anyone recommend a reputable professional detailer in the dc metro area that you trust your car with

thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 08:49 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

I think I messed up the clearcoat on the hood by claybarring the adhesive off. The car in some areas lost its luster. Would a paint shop be able to resray or possibly add another clearcoat to the paint to give it that consistent shine?

Quick Reply: 3M removal question