Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Oil & Unsure How to Proceed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:37 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish people would post these dealerships that try to pull this. At least the ones that read this board would know to stay away from them.

I've seen dealerships go down because bad reputations. IE. The old Mercedes dealership in Tucson. It was almost a joke that everyone use to go to Phoenix to buy a Mercedes because their Service Dept. was so terrible. Since no one bought any cars from them they were bought up by another company and are now one of the best dealerships in the Southwest.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil Usage History in my 2006 997S

Hi - I've got the same issue on the oil burning front, just no cloud on start-up.

I have used an average of 1 quart per 752 miles. The spec that Porsche abides by is max of 1 quart per 622 miles. If you burn more than that, they will take a harder look.

I've recorded my entire history of oil addition since new to today (7,300 miles since May 2007)

Here's what they've been doing lately, and yes, they have all admitted my car burns much more oil than normal.

Since about 5,500 miles, every 650 miles or so, I take to the dealer, they plug the car in and determine actual oil usage. This is now a documented record of oil addition and usage, and the only way to get a new motor is to follow this procedure.

Just showing up and saying you burn a lot of oil is not going to cut it.

Anyway, my oil usage continues to be high, and at this rate, there is no point in ever changing my oil, as in 15,000 miles, I will have burned through 20 quarts of mobil 1.

The other issue is soot build up on tail pipes and rear bumper, which is high.

Good luck, and feel free to pm me with questions.

Gundo
Old 10-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Carlton191
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gundo
Hi - I've got the same issue on the oil burning front, just no cloud on start-up.

I have used an average of 1 quart per 752 miles. The spec that Porsche abides by is max of 1 quart per 622 miles. If you burn more than that, they will take a harder look.

I've recorded my entire history of oil addition since new to today (7,300 miles since May 2007)

Here's what they've been doing lately, and yes, they have all admitted my car burns much more oil than normal.

Since about 5,500 miles, every 650 miles or so, I take to the dealer, they plug the car in and determine actual oil usage. This is now a documented record of oil addition and usage, and the only way to get a new motor is to follow this procedure.

Just showing up and saying you burn a lot of oil is not going to cut it.

Anyway, my oil usage continues to be high, and at this rate, there is no point in ever changing my oil, as in 15,000 miles, I will have burned through 20 quarts of mobil 1.

The other issue is soot build up on tail pipes and rear bumper, which is high.

Good luck, and feel free to pm me with questions.

Gundo
In looking back at my recent experience I would take the car to the dealer and INSIST they run a compression test....especially given the sooty exhaust pipes.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

I have the same sort of oil consumption,--roughly 1 quart every 1000 miles. Like clockwork. Dealer did a leakdown test and also a borescope inspection of the cylinder walls. Nothing was out of the ordinary. I, too, take mine in for oil to be added. Despite being inside Porsche's 'normal' range anyone can easily say that for a new car 1 quart per thousand is unacceptable. Would Ford or Mazda accept that sort of performance? Or Honda? I think not. Keep documenting. Clearly, something is going on a Zuffenhausen in their engine assembly department when most owners add oil by the oz. and others slop it in by the quart. Oil changes? Unnecessary when you are adding so much all the time.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Dan and Carlton- it is funny, I posted the same sort of thing on 6speed and got booed for trying to get an oil usage poll together. Perhaps here on rennlist, we could get more accomplished. Data like this DOES make a difference when you are speaking with the dealer, service tech and regional rep.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 794 Likes on 442 Posts

This thread, along with other owner reports like it on previous threads, makes a prospective future owner like myself - want to seriously consider leasing instead of buying, in case you get one of these engines. No way is this normal. Is it an assembly issue, or tolerance on some parts that is off? I also recall those threads regarding Mobil 0W40 being too light, not necessary in most ambient temperature ranges, and possibly making this problem worse.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:26 PM
drmarkp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nyca. Don't be put off by the stories here - one swallow does not make a summer. You only hear from people like me who have run into trouble, and I have done 250,000 miles in Porsches and never had a problem until now. It's very unusual and Porsche do take it seriously. And frankly why would leasing make any difference? Just as much hassle for you as leasee or owner. And it will be sorted out under warranty either way.
If I was you I'd buy a Ferarri of Maserati. Much more reliable!
Give me Porsche every time.

Quick Reply: Burning Oil & Unsure How to Proceed