997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytime Running Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007 | 06:32 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I have manual DLRs: I turn on the Parkers and pull out the switch for the Driving lamps - every time I drive it. Like dancing shoes, I leave the fancy headlamps for the nightime.
I used to do that... until many years ago, one time I was in San Francisco, the police stopped me and said that it was illegal to do that even in day time (Driving light on, headlight off). Anyone knows if that is true

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 09-13-2007 | 06:39 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I used to do that... until many years ago, one time I was in San Francisco, the police stopped me and said that it was illegal to do that even in day time (Driving light on, headlight off). Anyone knows if that is true

With best regards,
- Alex.
I've been told that's the law in California - can't drive with parking lights only - some Vette drivers have been stopped since the amber DRL on the Vettes is really the parking lights.
Old 09-14-2007 | 12:06 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I've been told that's the law in California - can't drive with parking lights only - some Vette drivers have been stopped since the amber DRL on the Vettes is really the parking lights.
I think you are right. Thanks.

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 09-14-2007 | 01:07 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

I don't think DRL is required in California. I have never driven with my light on during day time.
Old 09-14-2007 | 09:07 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
I don't think DRL is required in California. I have never driven with my light on during day time.
DRL is only required in Canada, not the US. We were talking about parking lights in California whether they are legal to drive with or not.
Old 09-14-2007 | 11:56 AM
Streamlined
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
DRL is only required in Canada, not the US. We were talking about parking lights in California whether they are legal to drive with or not.
Checked it out and yep, it is a vehicle code infraction "24800 Parking lights, driving with, unless headlamps also lighted." From this long page of equipment violations http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/lov/lovd12.htm.

Some odd ones on there you never see enforced such as '27801(b) Motorcycle handlebars, grips at or above shoulder height.', still see lots of ape hangers around
Old 09-17-2007 | 02:30 AM
wprater
Instructor

Originally Posted by wetstuff
I have manual DLRs: I turn on the Parkers and pull out the switch for the Driving lamps - every time I drive it. Like dancing shoes, I leave the fancy headlamps for the nightime.
Does that option work in US cars? or only from Canada?
Old 09-17-2007 | 09:14 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Prater: My 997 came from Cleveland - US spec. I remembering trying to be smart and ordering the Canadian DRL module to plug into my Boxster, so I'd have proper automatic DRLs ..but Porsche was smarter than me: they didn't fully wire my US spec Boxster. Buggers!

I bought an aftermarket module for my Ford SUV ...but hell, turning the switch - once it becomes a reflex - is easier than fiddling with the wiring. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights?