Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: what do you have and what will you choose for next 911?
i have MT now, i want MT next as well.
57.55%
i have MT now, i want DSG next
33.09%
i have tip now, i want DSG next
8.63%
i have tip now, i want MT next, who cares about DSG, time to learn how to driver.!
0.72%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

DSG poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
For those that voted/are voting for DSG/PDK, have you considered that it will most likely be a very expensive option? The existing Tiptronic is $3,400, and Maserati charges $7,600 for a true automated manual on the similarly priced Coupe. I imagine DSG/PDK on the 911 will be somewhere in between.
There's no reason for that, but given Porsche's track history when it comes to option pricing, I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 PM

For those that voted/are voting for DSG/PDK, have you considered that it will most likely be a very expensive option? The existing Tiptronic is $3,400, and Maserati charges $7,600 for a true automated manual on the similarly priced Coupe. I imagine DSG/PDK on the 911 will be somewhere in between.
This anothe reason why both the tip and DSG may be offered...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Drove another Audi today with DSG! The DSG will rev match on down shifts!!! AWESOME! This will be the transmission for the track for me because it shifts very fast and sporty and the paddle shifter are better than the toggle switches on the steering wheel.

Still though if I had a left leg to push a clutch I can see why a lot of you would still want the 6speed. It was fun learning heal and toe but things have changed for me...
Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
This anothe reason why both the tip and DSG may be offered...
There's no way they will. Why would Porsche give people a less expensive option to have two pedals? The traditional automatic may continue on the Turbo where its huge torque works fine with only 5-speeds (and may not work so fine with dual clutches), but not alongside the DSG/PDK on other models.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll stick with a clutch pedal & shifter.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to tie my own shoe laces. I like to tie my own bow tie. I prefer opening bottles with a corkscrew rather than a twist off top. I prefer vinyl to CD's or mp3's.

It's the pleasure of involvement that makes it preferable to the alternatives. For sure DSG is probably faster, but that doesn't make it more enjoyable, and enjoyment is what I'm looking for from a sports car.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Me too, except I don't wear bowties. I also brew my own beer, dry age beef myself(occasionally), and only own an iPod because it was a gift.

I think a common misconception is that DSG is an automatic transmission. You still shift every gear yourself. It still takes skill to do it right. It opens up a whole new category of extremely difficult to master and involving driving technique unavailable to legacy manual transmissions, namely left foot braking.

There is no right or wrong choice. Personally I would always own at least one legacy manual car because I enjoy that skill too. But all the condescending posts here implying that DSG is for wussies is misleading.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterS
...I think a common misconception is that DSG is an automatic transmission. You still shift every gear yourself. It still takes skill to do it right. It opens up a whole new category of extremely difficult to master and involving driving technique unavailable to legacy manual transmissions, namely left foot braking.

There is no right or wrong choice. Personally I would always own at least one legacy manual car because I enjoy that skill too. But all the condescending posts here implying that DSG is for wussies is misleading.
Very well stated. Actually it also applies to the Tip-S even though the future DSG may be slightly better. "Slightly" will be disputed by some, I know, but I also know that tranny shifting times are very subjective in the real world.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Dude, you need to try an Audi or VW with DSG. It's far more than "shifting times", and a lot more than "slightly" better. Instantaneous yet smooth, rev-matching downshifts, and gearing matched to the rest of the drivetrain make the slurry old 5-speed Tiptronic drive like a Powerglide in comparison.

Hopefully Porsche adopts their interface as well; the paddles work infinitely better than the Tip thumb switches, and having gear selection on the console is more convenient as well.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

Dude, you need to try an Audi or VW with DSG. It's far more than "shifting times", and a lot more than "slightly" better. Instantaneous yet smooth, rev-matching downshifts, and gearing matched to the rest of the drivetrain make the slurry old 5-speed Tiptronic drive like a Powerglide in comparison.

Hopefully Porsche adopts their interface as well; the paddles work infinitely better than the Tip thumb switches, and having gear selection on the console is more convenient as well.
What HE said!

Quick Reply: DSG poll