997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DFI...Early 09 Release*

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Did they reveal their source?
No and I didn't ask...Porsche NA is normally very tight lipped about these things but my contact there has been w/ Porsche for decades and knows quite a few folks at the factory. As I mentioned earlier, I have always found this source to be very credible and since it was suggested we wait to order an early 09 vs. buying what they had or even ordering an 08, I gave it even more credence.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
No and I didn't ask...Porsche NA is normally very tight lipped about these things but my contact there has been w/ Porsche for decades and knows quite a few folks at the factory. As I mentioned earlier, I have always found this source to be very credible and since it was suggested we wait to order an early 09 vs. buying what they had or even ordering an 08, I gave it even more credence.
I know...I know (I sell'em remember?)

What have they told you that came true? -not looking to flame my friend, just skeptical. PAG/PCNA isn't above feeding dealerships, um, a little 'askew' information. lol

So far, I've yet to see a prediction come true; so I'd love a connection on our side that knows what they're talking about.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:29 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

What have they told you that came true? -not looking to flame my friend, just skeptical. PAG/PCNA isn't above feeding dealerships, um, a little 'askew' information. lol

So far, I've yet to see a prediction come true; so I'd love a connection on our side that knows what they're talking about.
Of course, why would PAG want to release information about an '09 coming early which might put off sales on an '08 model? You would think they'd keep the delivery date under wraps as long as they could.

In any case, for those needing a car for the next summer driving season, an '08 is the safe bet. For those who don't care when their new car arrives, wait for an '09??
Old 09-13-2007, 07:51 PM

No worries, we're all a little skeptical when it comes to this stuff including myself .
I've been buying new Porches from them for the last 12 years and they have been correct on the 993 change for MY 96 (addition of varioram and hp increase) the 996 facelift and power increase and when to expect the 997 and its power level increase etc 1 year before anyone else. They were quite clear about Porsche not giving them any official info...Again, since it was suggested we wait to order an early 09 vs. buying what they had or even ordering an 08, I gave it even more credence.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

And..........the 09 car may be early enough to enjoy next summer.
As mentioned.....09 (face lift) production run may be a long one...ie start early......Porsche has done it before.
There may be more speculation on that soon since the Frankfurt show opened today.
But I do know of someone who has a deposit (and 1st slot) on an 09 anticipating such a possible scenario.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by kayjh
Of course, why would PAG want to release information about an '09 coming early which might put off sales on an '08 model? You would think they'd keep the delivery date under wraps as long as they could.

In any case, for those needing a car for the next summer driving season, an '08 is the safe bet. For those who don't care when their new car arrives, wait for an '09??

I've been with MB since 02 and they have no real issue with releasing that sort of information. The fact is cars change all the time, but only a really small percentage of people care about gettng the latest greatest.... PAG/PCNA on the other hand do some whacky things...

We were expecting an 08 Boxster to arrive- client was supposed to have it on a monday... tuesday comes and goes- call to the Port "It's on the carrier on it's way to you..." Wednesday rolls around "still on the truck to you..." Thursday no response back...FRIDAY!! " Oh the truck broke down..."

clients irritated - big surprise. So are we.

Saturday early afternoon the car arrives. Car rolls off the truck and I check it in...in passing I asked the driver- "Where did you pick this car up, at the port?"

Driver- "yep."
Me- "oh, I thought you ran into truck issues, no?"
Driver- "nope. no idea what you're talking about..."
Me- "uh huh.".

Amazes me how they love to give inaccurate information. LOL
Old 09-15-2007, 05:05 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Now you know how many of us feel about dealers!

Amazes me how they love to give inaccurate information. LOL
Old 09-16-2007, 05:50 PM
agillies
AutoX

I attended the Frankfurt motor show on Friday with the Porsche Travel Club and asked one of the apparently more senior staff on the stand about the future availability of a DSG type gearbox. I was told (unofficially) that it was likely to be available at the end of 08.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:52 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

What was on the floor.......assume all normal line 997s were face-lifts?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:02 PM
agillies
AutoX

GreggT, You can access a website for the Porsche stand itself from the Porsche UK website then there is a link from that home page.

Sorry, no facelift 911s yet!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM
raiderade
2nd Gear

I think the first official confirmation of the DSG/Paddle-shifter/sequential transmission was probably about 7 years ago. And back then, it was "Definite". Even that Autoweek article looked like it was from a year ago. When I have the DSG in my hand, then I will believe that Porsche is switching over.

Though, they did finally make an iPod connector, so God may have opened up the heavens and all things Porsche will start raining down!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if PAG/PCNA releases the DSG and DFI on '09 model, it would be going through the classic first year 'guinea pig' scenario -- let the real world owners trial & error the new technolgoy, report feedback/problem to the engineers, and then improve it in the next year model.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the DFI and DSG on '09. If we want a 997, don't wait, get the car now.

With best regards,
Old 10-23-2007, 09:11 PM
gary mermel
Instructor

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Even if PAG/PCNA releases the DSG and DFI on '09 model, it would be going through the classic first year 'guinea pig' scenario -- let the real world owners trial & error the new technolgoy, report feedback/problem to the engineers, and then improve it in the next year model.
Have changed my mind re: waiting to next summer for the DFI. Because i played with a DSG on the Audi A3. And am buying the engine in the Volkswagen R32. It is a well put together, pretty sporty AWD car with the identical drivetrain as the Audi, and has all sorts of mods out for the suspension and AWD system for me to improve if the desire arises.

Because I found the DSG to be so cool I wonder if I would give up my clutch for it. I intend to drive my next 911 for years. Now I'll be able to compare my manual 996 to a DSG and while the guinea pigs are helping Porsche improve their technology (exactly my thinking when I decided to do this ), I'll come to a real life decision on my next transmission.

I'm pretty pleased overall, but of course sorry to put off my next 911 for several years. It's gonna happen, just not for a while....

Cheers
Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree re first generation transmissions. I made the mistake of buying an Audi A4 with the then much touted Multitronic (CVT) transmission in the first year, 2002. It was a bad enough experience to make me wary of the any first gen transmission (or any auto transmission).

I have driven an A3 with a DSG gearbox. I personally found something lacking in the driving experience compared to a regular old stick with a clutch. Performance-wise it seemed fine (fast shifting, etc.) but I'm a traditionalist on these matters ... I somehow still felt somewhat disengaged from the driving experience in the A3, as I do in all automatics.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 PM

If Porsche is going to use the Audi box adding a gear ot two, beefing up the parts and enhancing the programming, the first year gremilins won't be so bad. I would trade my 6 speed for a DSG tomorrow if I could, as I'm getting tired of the stop and go traffic shifting syndrome again...

Quick Reply: DFI...Early 09 Release*