Sponsored by:

DFI...Early 09 Release*

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:27 AM
gary mermel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Gary, as a left leg amputee and track DE junkie I am CRAVING the DSG transmission. I too drove an Audi with DSG and I really now hate my Tiptronic in my 997S.
I can't swear that I'll give up my clutch. But the DSG was so good that I am looking forward to living with it. And I tested it right after Acura's RDX with a tiptronic type of auto. No comparing it's rapidity and smoothness to the DSG. One thing I did with the DSG was hold my speed at 35 and flip around the gears. Aside from hearing the rev's change the shifts were almost totally imperceptible as the car just rolled along.

I feel like it'll be a new toy to enjoy with admission in the low $30's. Over time I'll be in the perfect place regarding the 911: DFI, and a transmission that suits my preferences, in a package that should be more refined if not more reliable than the first model year....
Old 10-24-2007, 03:22 AM
mdf
7th Gear

Default To DSG or not to DSG

For those of you that haven't driven a VW/Audi....try it. trust me, try it....
this transmission in a C4S might be the ultimate vehicle on the planet, IMHO.

And for those of you that are on the fence: here is a thought for the next year and 1/2 -- buy an '05 997 in the low 60's....
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

How does the audi DSG compare to the M5 SMG? I have driven the M5 SMG and while VERY impressed, thought the shifts were abrupt.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
gary mermel
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdf
For those of you that haven't driven a VW/Audi....try it. trust me, try it....this transmission in a C4S might be the ultimate vehicle on the planet, IMHO.
Well, seems I've found out what some of you already know.

Especially when a Porsche purchase puts the nearest service 500 miles away . I mean, I must be committed (or should be committed) to depend on a daily driver under those circumstances.

I suspect that DSG in a C4S would be phenomonal. And now I'll be an informed/experienced consumer when I make the choice. I appreciate the thoughts here, and they really are making me feel better about the "plan". And as a dedicated clutch guy who does NOT deal with traffic problems, I'd also encourage you all to try the DSG. Progress is not always a bad thing, and at least Porsche intends to give you the choice. VW has a 6 speed R32 in Europe, and the folks on their discussion board are inflamed that their beloved tuner car was only brought to the US with that danged DSG.....

I'll be lurking, learning about later 997's or maybe the 998 ??
Old 10-24-2007, 09:17 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interestingly, for the sports car market, I personally think that years forward, when all cars are with some kinds of electronic-assisted transmissions, the traditional manual transmission cars will become collectible. Anyone have the same feeling?

Regards,
Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcg412
How does the audi DSG compare to the M5 SMG? I have driven the M5 SMG and while VERY impressed, thought the shifts were abrupt.
DSG in auto mode ("D") is very smooth, like a good auto. In manual (+/-) or S mode, it's very fast and the shifts are more abrupt. Setting for setting, the DSG is MUCH smoother and faster than the SMG, F1, e-Gear, etc. transmissions.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:05 AM
mdf
7th Gear

DSG blows SMG away....not even close! I just wish I could get it in my S4.....they haven't figured out yet how to build it economically (yet) for "big" engines....

Quick Reply: DFI...Early 09 Release*