Sponsored by:

DFI...Early 09 Release*

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:30 PM
gary mermel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Also, if you were on the fence - either as a potential new customer or looking to upgrade your existing 911 - and the DFI was available in the 2009, but you knew the DSG was coming in 2010, would you buy the 2009?
Now we can hijack this thread

It depends on whether you're ready to give up your clutch!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:03 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by gary mermel
I appreciate your point, but think it depends on the situation. Cars don't update like computers. The life cycle of a computer is less than 4 months. Porsche's are on the order of 3-4 years. If you're not the type to change cars every few years, waiting a few months to be current for a few years can make sense. If the release ends up delayed into the following year ('09), I'll be buying right away as that's getting to where your point resonates with my circumstance.

I've had my 996 for 8 years, and a 944 for 9 years before that. Was going to get the 997 this fall but then caught wind of the DFI scheduled for next spring (maybe). I plan/hope to run the 997 for the better part of 10 years and it'll be a generation old soon enough, let alone 8 months from now. I'm relieved to have the rumors about the timing to be firming up for spring.
I get what you are saying. It is true that the cars improve with new features every year, but when you look back at the older Porsches (or other cars for that matter) there are always years that are more desireable than others.

In this case, adding DFI and some HP (as well as a transmission choice) may make the MY2009 more desireable when it comes time to sell. It may also make the car more desireable to own as well (for those waiting for a DSG). For me, I'd appreciate a bit more HP and better fuel economy. If I lease for 3 years, then I don't think the differences would be enough to make me wait for the '09 cars. If I buy, I will likely wait, (as long as I can get a car in the spring) as I would likely keep the car for 5 years.

kayjh
Old 09-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Cars don't update like computers. The life cycle of a computer is less than 4 months. Porsche's are on the order of 3-4 years.
Gary, I generally agree with you. But if you look at both the individual product item and the product line, then we are really getting close to annual updates. Besides individual 997 item updates (X51, TPMS, DFI, PDK, redesigned bumpers, hp increase, etc.), Porsche also modifies its 997 product line (cab, GT3, Turbo, Targa, Turbo cab, GT2, etc.). So new developments that represent valid alternatives are definitely taking place faster than every 3-4 years.

I'm with Dave: Buy it when you want it, don't wait for one new development after the other. I posted this before: You can always GET something later, but you can only WISH you had gotten something earlier. Therefore, even though I love DSG, I decided to buy my Turbo now and get a PDK Turbo in a few years.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 PM
gary mermel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Porsche also modifies its 997 product line (cab, GT3, Turbo, Targa, Turbo cab, GT2, etc.). So new developments that represent valid alternatives are definitely taking place faster than every 3-4 years.

....I love DSG, I decided to buy my Turbo now and get a PDK Turbo in a few years.

'06 seal/stone 997 C2S Cab (sold August 2007; dearly missed - experiencing strong withdrawal symptoms)
'08 basalt/stone 997 TT (January allocation; color on order has changed 683 times so far)
Sure, they add to the product line. But once I settle on coupe, or a turbo cab, THAT specific item stays fairly unchanged for the 3-4 years.

And from your avatar and intent to replace your '08 turbo in "a few years", your circumstance is clearly different than mine. If I did that, I'd be wishing I had a retirement fund (or still had my wife ). I'm not judging your position, and envy it to an extent, but again, planning to have it well into the next decade, I'd rather at least START with a current/updated product....

Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 PM

Talking

(or still had my wife ). :
What is this word "wife" I keep seeing being used around here so often and which always seems to be getting in the way of what the male wants or wants to do??? I have never had one of these, just lots of girl friends..can someone please elaborate on why I should entertain getting one vs. lots of girl friends; also are they expensive to maintain and can I keep the girlfriends at the same time?

Last edited by 500; 09-12-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
What is this word "wife" I keep seeing being used around here so often and which always seems to be getting in the way of what the male wants or wants to do??? I have never had one of these, just lots of girl friends..can someone please elaborate on why I should entertain getting one vs. lots of girl friends; also are they expensive to maintain and can I keep the girlfriends at the same time?
Perhaps your day will come. I never had the urge to get married until I met my honey...I was 40 when we met!
I cannot imagine life without her and she is even more special than my Porsche!!!!!!!!!!
And, I can ride either one whenever I feel like it.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coochas
Perhaps your day will come.
PLEASE, Dave, do not scare me!!! So far I have successfully avoided all developments of this kind and intend to keep it that way. So Gary is right, no wife in my way, otherwise my situation might be different. I know there are probably some really good wives out there who might actually improve your life rather than making it miserable, but I think I'm with 500 on this... like me some milk but don't wanna buy that cow.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:15 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I saw a bumper sticker once.... If it Flies, Floats, or ****s it is cheaper to rent it.
Words of wisdom right there.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 AM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, no paddle shift until 2010?

(Is that what DSG means...paddle shift?)
Old 09-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

DSG (which is what Audi used to call their version) is an automated 'manual' transmission, as opposed to Tiptronic, which is a traditional torque-converted automatic transmission.

VW/Audi's (and soon to be Porsche's) DSG differs from BMW and Ferrari automated manuals in that it has two clutches to smooth engagement and actually work well in fully-auto mode.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:09 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
DSG (which is what Audi used to call their version) is an automated 'manual' transmission, as opposed to Tiptronic, which is a traditional torque-converted automatic transmission.

VW/Audi's (and soon to be Porsche's) DSG differs from BMW and Ferrari automated manuals in that it has two clutches to smooth engagement and actually work well in fully-auto mode.
"Torque-converted" transmission! as if that should be avoided as the plague. On the Tip-S the torque converter is ONLY used in 1st for the car's launch. No big deal! The Tip-S is actually quite good!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

You obviously haven't driven an Audi/VW DSG...there is absolutely no comparison.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:45 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

The joy of owning number 35 of 50 with X51 package....

Life is just good!

Old 09-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
PLEASE, Dave, do not scare me!!! So far I have successfully avoided all developments of this kind and intend to keep it that way. So Gary is right, no wife in my way, otherwise my situation might be different. I know there are probably some really good wives out there who might actually improve your life rather than making it miserable, but I think I'm with 500 on this... like me some milk but don't wanna buy that cow.
Happens to the best of us Wolfgang.
Hey, my wife has already green lighted a TT (w/o my coaxing) and SHE thinks the thing to do would be a Euro delivery.
Hey, I'm just a regular guy,....except I have a 10 inch tongue and can breathe through my ears.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by 500
*I was told today by my dealership that the DFI cars will be here in April 2008 and released in May as an early 09's. LEDs w/ a mild F/R bumper cap resdesign, improved interior materials and a modest power increase are all part of the new car as will some other goodies. They did not have the specifics of the power change but I suggest it will be less than today's X51 cars as Porsche will not want to **** off those that just spent $15k on the upgrade. They did not guarantee the 09 info (how could they) but my contact there felt very confident in what he was telling me and I believe him for many reasons, but mostly in lieu of that I brought a friend there to buy a new 2008 9974S Cab and he suggested we wait a few more months and order an early 09; we greatly appreciated his candor. Either way and once again they will have earned our business.
Did they reveal their source?

Quick Reply: DFI...Early 09 Release*