Sponsored by:

Extended Car Warranties for CALIFORNIA

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 AM
BillHi
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Extended Car Warranties for CALIFORNIA

Does anyone have any experience with a good aftermarket warranty company in California? They now limit the sale only by dealers or some select companies..appreciate your comments and actual experiences..thanks.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:09 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by BillHi
Does anyone have any experience with a good aftermarket warranty company in California? They now limit the sale only by dealers or some select companies..appreciate your comments and actual experiences..thanks.
Personally and for what it's worth, I wouldn't buy an aftermarket policy from anyone or anything other than a local dealership. No matter what state or what make vehicle. Bought an aftermarket policy about 5 years ago from one of the largest and most reputable extended warranty companies in the nation (Warranty Gold) and lost $1,200 in short order when they filed Ch. 11.

If I want coverage I'd rather trade cars every 4 years than deal with extended warranty outfits which in my opinion represent some of the dirtiest segments of free enterprise.

http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20031201.html
Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above post. In addition, the people that I know who have bought these warranties find that it is next to impossible to get the them to pay up on a claim.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 PM
mulepacker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a co worker that purchased an extended warrenty on his new car (Ford) and during the extended warrenty period, the car's head gasket failed and caused severe engine damage.
The insurance would not cover the incident, due to the fact that all gaskets were not covered!! And any damage caused by the gasket failure is not covered. Most failures the the major components can be attributed to something very small that coverage is excluded.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:25 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear warranty direct has a great bumper-to-bumper coverage. Below is their direct website...

http://www.warrantydirect.com/warran...t/specials.asp
Old 08-23-2007, 09:20 PM
wsmknicks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...not in California.

Like the above poster...anyone have good leads for CALIFORNIA warranties?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Right now I can tell you who not to deal with. "Easy Care." They are the warranty extension company of choice for my dealership in Southern California. They are a royal PITA to work with as they will do everything they can to deny payment. I have the tire insurance for 100% tire and wheel replacement. For example, I recently discovered a nail in my RR tire. It had about 5/32nd of tread left which is well inside their replacement window (down to 3/32nds) so when I called them in advance to get authorization to proceed with the work (order tire from Tire Rack, and schedule a date for installation) their operator told me to proceed. They also told me to have the repair shop call them.

I dropped off the wheel/tire and the tire was drop shipped in from the Tire Rack and with these parts I included a copy of the contract with the 800 number, etc. with instructions to contact the company. I picked up the wheel that afternoon, along with all my paperwork and then proceeded to assemble a copy for Easy Care and sent it in. 9 days later I called to see how things were going. First they said they didn't have any paperwork and second they told me that there was no authorization for this work to be performed. They told me to have the shop call them. I contacted the shop again and told them that they had to call in the repair to the warranty folks. Eventually they called in the repair order and were now told that they would deny the claim as upfront authorization was not obtained.

I have referred this matter to my dealership to settle,--they're the ones who are selling people on these policies. Will provide an update if any are interested. Basically, they all appear to look for any excuse not to pay a penny, no matter how well you document the process.

"Easy Care." Not easy, and they don't care.

Quick Reply: Extended Car Warranties for CALIFORNIA