Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I didn't know my 997 came with a tire sealant, compressor, and tools!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007 | 01:29 AM
Speed
Pro

One note of caution when using the tire inflator: make sure to plug it into the cigarette lighter as the manual says and not the power plugs that are under the dash and in the center console box. I got a flat in May and assumed they were all the same and blew out the fuses for the power plugs.
Old 08-17-2007 | 04:45 AM
917Driver
Intermediate

Axhoaxho, did you purchase your 997 new? If you bought the Car used from a private party or even a non-Porsche Dealer then it is up to you to do a orientation. However if you purchased your 997 new or "pre-owned" from a Porsche Dealer then it is inexcusable on their part not to have given you a complete bumper to bumper briefing about your ride.
Old 08-17-2007 | 05:45 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Axhoaxho, did you purchase your 997 new
I bought my 07 997S brand new from the dealer just a few months ago.

Frankly, it was not my dealer's fault not to walk me through the car. I have had many P-cars before, so may be I was a little 'casual' when I bought my 997S. I was literally in-and-out of the dealer within 10 minutes when I picked up my 997S. My salesperson was great, I rated him 10/10.

When I was younger and bought my first 911, I was checking it inside-out and upside-down at the first day I picked up the car, but after many 911s the new ones are just like an old friend in a new suit. I jumped into the car, and 'Yep, it is a 911', and off the dealer I go.

Sorry again to raise all the concerns about reading manuals. I only put 3K miles on my 997S, and I did read through most of the features-sections of the manuals (PCM, Memory settings, Breakin-Tips, Engine-oil, etc., etc.) I just didn't spend time 'yet' to go through the rest of the manuals like the spare-tires or changing-light-bulbs sections. My bad.

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 08-17-2007 | 07:08 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Sorry guys, I was indeed an engineer when I was younger, and I have owned many P-cars since 1985. Currently I also have a 986S and a 951, plus other non P-cars.

I do like to read the manuals of my cars -- Just since I bought the 997S a few months ago, I have been busy working on my other cars, and I didn't have time 'yet' to sit down to read the 997S manual. That's all

Sorry for raising an RTFM alert!

With best regards,
- Alex.

We're just having fun Alex....no worries!
Old 08-17-2007 | 07:32 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

We're just having fun Alex....no worries!
Thanks

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 08-17-2007 | 10:43 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Along the same lines, anyone got a good source for a collapsible spare for my 997? Is it the same tire for front & rear? Is this something TireRack.com sells?
Old 08-17-2007 | 04:10 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I'm right there with you Edgy. No offense intended to the original poster, but I can't fathom why someone would buy a car like this and not take full interest in knowing every little thing about it.

A lot of dealers set the tone having no clue what they're selling and seemingly not much interest. Check this out. Sure looks like an X51 engine to me but not a word in the ad about the most expensive option available on this car. Lots of noise about headrest crests, floor mats and door sills instead.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-SP...mdZViewItem#lg

When I was looking for my car, a Mercedes dealer in Ohio was selling a "2006 Porsche Carrera C2 sport, AWD". The pictures showed a C2S so I asked which it was and was told "a C2S AWD". Told him there's no such thing as an all wheel drive C2S to which he answered........."well, that's not what my inventory sheet tells me". I had heard enough and moved on at that point.

Last edited by sandwedge; 08-17-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2007 | 04:35 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I think it's sad that Porsche no longer includes a spare in the newer cars.

Worse still, they pull the spare and the cars still gain weight. Unfortunate IMHO.
Old 08-17-2007 | 04:46 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coochas
You know, there are very few proper indications for the use of the RTFM emoticon. This is one of them!

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. But DAMN.
I'm even worse than a 'didn't know I had a tyre-kit' schmuck because I have to admit that the RTFM acronym has me beat.......how much of a dork must I be????
Old 08-17-2007 | 06:10 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

RTFM = read the f***ing manual.
Old 08-17-2007 | 06:29 PM
gpk
Intermediate

axhoaxho,

I think the contents of this post constitute a belayed "Welcome to Rennlist"!

Some of us, more than others, understand where you're comin' from - Happy Motoring.
Old 08-18-2007 | 01:25 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

axhoaxho,

I think the contents of this post constitute a belayed "Welcome to Rennlist"!

Some of us, more than others, understand where you're comin' from - Happy Motoring.
Thank much!

Have a nice weekend everyone

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 08-18-2007 | 01:37 AM
george_k
Instructor

you can get the collapsible spare, jack, & foam insert to hold from www.sunsetimports.com
great people to deal with and the lowest price I found on these items.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...mergency+spare
lists part numbers.
I have it and it nice to have peace of mind when your traveling. I put a vinyl spare trailer tire cover over it and held it down with a rubber strap.
Old 08-18-2007 | 01:38 AM
george_k
Instructor

And no, not a tire rack item and it works on front or rear
Old 08-18-2007 | 01:51 AM
SDD
Track Day

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy01
This posting really says a lot about the kind of people who are ordering or buying Porsches today. Not too mechanically inclined. Most seem to want to simply sit back and dial 1 800 Porsche and wait at the side of the road rather than get their hands dirty. There are are few of us from the old school who have jacked up their car and actually taken all their wheels off to see what they have in these machines. Some elements of the manual I can understand not catching the first or second time, but this other stuff is essential. I'm betting too that you never bought a Porsche before, right? Porsches have been delivered from the factory with a tool set from the very beginning. Unfortunately, as the years pass, the size of that set dwindles. But, perhaps, it's because Porsche makes them so well that you're not supposed to need a tool kit for anything. Welcome to the world of Porsches!
End Edgy01 Quote

I'm right there with you Edgy. No offense intended to the original poster, but I can't fathom why someone would buy a car like this and not take full interest in knowing every little thing about it.

When I buy a car, I read the entire owner's manual cover to cover before ever turning the key. I do the same thing with everything I buy, from computers to coffee makers. Must be my left brain dominance.
Hey, you guys would fit right in with the Lotus crowd! :-)
We're all old school...

Quick Reply: I didn't know my 997 came with a tire sealant, compressor, and tools!