Sponsored by:

DRL on or off

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Aren't the studies that show DRLs improving visibility of cars from Scandinavian countries where there are long periods of dusk certain times of the year? I can see a use for them in those conditions, where long periods of not-quite-dark-enough for headlights are common. But here in the continental US, we don't have that. Seems like a waste of energy and annoyance for very little to me.

Plus I know that in WW II, the army did experiments with dazzle camouflage on tanks using bright lights. They put a tank on a hill and mounted an array of lights on the side. As the sun set behind the tank, they turned the lights on and the tank disappeared because it was as bright as the background. This is a specific and rare condition; my point is there are always a lot of variables to consider.

If you don't like 'em, turn them off. I don't think they do much here.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RJA in VA
Somewhat off topic, but can someone explain why Corvettes use the Parking Lights like DRLs? I always thought these were for Parking, not Driving?
Interesting question - I've read somewhere else that driving with parking lights is illegal in some states and even though they are considered DRL in the Vettes, some Vette drivers have been pulled over because of this.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 165 Posts

I always thought Vettes used their "orange lights" as DRLs because their headlights were "pop-ups" (not visible unless ON), but that's no longer true with the new Corvettes and they're still not using the headlights as DRLs.
Interestingly, many Cadillac models use the orange lights as DRLs, too.
And, I believe it IS illegal to drive with only your Parking Lights on in CA...or at least it used to be.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turn on my parking lamps; then pull out the switch to juice up the driving lamps - every time I leave the drive. I can also program the headlamps as DLRs, but I leave the fancy lamps for the Night.

I'm quite convinced my Silver car is a ton more visible lit up. ...I'd do same with Black, Seal, etc.

Quick Reply: DRL on or off