Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering buying a C2 or C2S...difference???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the letter S.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:15 PM
pride355
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Close your eyes and fast-forward to 3 months AFTER you bought the C2. You're driving down the road and a C2S passes you. You immediately think:

1) man, that is nice looking 997
2) man, that S is nice looking
3) man, I should have gotten an S

If the answer is #1, then no, it does not make sense to get an S. However, if the answer is #2 or #3, then yes, it makes sense to buy an S.

One clever answer
I agree!! I bought an S, because it has better brakes, Xenon's are standart and a few little things. The price difference is very close, IMO, especially in Porsche standarts.

Only thing I don't like is the 19" wheels, which ruins the ride IMO.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:40 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 820 Likes on 453 Posts

I have a C2 base and like most here have said...there are alot of things about the S I do like...power, torque, twin dual pipes, sport button modes, brakes. However there are things I don't like sport chrono, price..price! LOL Anyway my 05 997 base was a CPO and moderately optioned with PASM, Nav, Xenons, heated seats so for what I got it for it was the right thing to do vs the 06 997 S CPO that the dealer wanted roughly $8-10k more for. I took my $8k savings and have added 19" OEM Carrera S wheels w/Yokohama Advan Sport rubber, Denision Ipod intergration, lightly tinted windows, RemoteKey, and an AWE exhaust....all for significantly less than $8-10k. So it becomes yes an ego thing as well as a reason choice. I knew I'd be happy in a non-S car and that a few things about the S I didn't like (mere asthetics) and since my dealer wasn't dealing I got the car I was able to and have had fun moding it and the folks on this board helping to get me in trouble with the Mrs doing it! It's a to each his own thing....

Best advice I've gotten on the board is ...buy the latest, cleanest new or CPO Porsche you can write a check for! Then drive it and worry about the rest later.

PM me if you have specific questions...be happy to anwser as my prev car was a 996 so I can speak a little about the differences. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:31 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 200 miles I notice that the car seems a heaver than the C2. In a more refined sort of way. I'll get it on back roads into New Mexico, retracing my route in the C2 on the way home. It will be interesting comparison.

Although I have the new Porsche break in blues, damn I want to ring this car out.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 PM
AndreCT
Racer

Originally Posted by lazlo9
I bought a regular C2 so next time I have somewhere to go up to... before to GT that is.

Love my C2 and have NEVER felt underpowered... though the 550's and M5's I leave in my wake might.
Sorry pal.. but any M5 .. even the older 400hpo cars are not going to be left in your wake. As for the newer 500hp cars, they will eat you, the "S" and the X51 cars too. I know having owned both M cars and am now in a X51 car.

Throught tight twisties, the BMW will push and the Porsche will be a lot quicker, but on a straight with a few gentle curves it will be a case of Bye Bye P car. (at least up to the 155mph limiter BMW imposes on the car.. lol
Old 08-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Matias_S
Instructor

It seems a lot of ppl on this forum do not like PASM for the 997 C2S, so why not option it out? At least here in Dubai, the 997S configurator offers this option;

"Sports Suspension (- 20 mm) including mechanical rear differential lock."

That is a zero cost option here, because it deletes PASM.

As for which, the BMW M6 or 997 C2, is faster on a wet mountain road (e.g. where they run the Isle of Man TT) in the hands of a pro, pls have a look at Top Gear...
Old 08-28-2007, 05:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

997S only comes with PASM here in US. You cannot select the sport suspension, nor can you "delete" PASM for the normal 997 suspension.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I like PASM PSM ABS etc etc.... I also have heated seats (it does get cold in Vegas) and sensors on the back bumper so when I'm in hurry, I won't back through my closed garage door. So maybe I'm not "basic" enough for the purists but I don't care...It's my car. Anyone asking for a comparison between C2 vs C2S should go to the dealer and drive both. There enough cars out there now that this should not be a problem. An alternative is to go to PDE. Most of the time you are in a C2 but you do get some seat time in a C2S. After my 2 day course I realized what a fine car the "base" C2 is.

Quick Reply: Considering buying a C2 or C2S...difference???