Sponsored by:

Cost of replacement key?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:09 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of replacement key?

Anyone know the approximate cost of getting a replacement key? Is it a pain in the butt to get it replace from the dealer? Thx in advance
Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

About $160 programed.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:36 PM
rdv
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 92 Posts

FYI, each of my cars (Porsche, MBZ, and even my 1999 Jeep) has these new fangled electronic keys. So I take a really tiny piece of paper with my home phone number on it, and tape it onto the back of the fob with clear tape. You can also use a label maker if you're more **** retentive. Anyway, the way I look at it is if I lose the key, at least someone who finds it knows who to call, and it could save me $150 smackers. If you are careful with a pen and tape, or with a label maker, it doesn't look goofy -- well, okay, maybe a little, but to save $150 and the hassles of a reprogram, I'm okay with it.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 PM
007GT3
Instructor

Default that sucks

they can order it with your vin, but need the car to program.

try not to lose them...it's an expensive habit.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:36 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rdv
FYI, each of my cars (Porsche, MBZ, and even my 1999 Jeep) has these new fangled electronic keys. So I take a really tiny piece of paper with my home phone number on it, and tape it onto the back of the fob with clear tape. You can also use a label maker if you're more **** retentive. Anyway, the way I look at it is if I lose the key, at least someone who finds it knows who to call, and it could save me $150 smackers. If you are careful with a pen and tape, or with a label maker, it doesn't look goofy -- well, okay, maybe a little, but to save $150 and the hassles of a reprogram, I'm okay with it.
Or they can find out where you live and take your car away so you don't need the key anymore.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Or they can find out where you live and take your car away so you don't need the key anymore.
+1
Putting my address on the key is the last thing I would want to do. Maybe a cell phone number in case it is found by a good samaritan but I'm not even sure about that.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharptt
+1
Putting my address on the key is the last thing I would want to do. Maybe a cell phone number in case it is found by a good samaritan but I'm not even sure about that.
Sounds like you didn't read rdv's post that THPorsche is referring to. He didn't say anything about putting his address on the key.

Originally Posted by rdv
Old 08-21-2008, 12:08 PM
chuckla
Racer

Ben-Among other ways of discovering the address, a finder of the key could simply google the phone number.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:28 PM
OCBen
Banned

I don't think it would help if it's a mobile number.

I just googled my home phone number and the only information given was the city it was located in - and it lists the wrong city! I also have an unlisted number.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:36 PM
nmporsche
AutoX

Originally Posted by OCBen
I don't think it would help if it's a mobile number.

I just googled my home phone number and the only information given was the city it was located in - and it lists the wrong city! I also have an unlisted number.
ocben,
Has anyone told you that you look a lot like Al Pachino?
Just saying.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

No, I don't believe anyone's ever told me I look like Al Pacino. I've been told I look like Charles Bronson, but not Al Pacino I don't believe.

Besides, how would you know what I look like to wonder if anyone has told me I look like Al Pacino?

Ohhhh, you must be referring to my avatar pic. That's Robert De Niro. Must be the goatee he's wearing that might possibly make him look a little like Al Pacino - though I gotta admit, that's quite a stretch.

Quick Reply: Cost of replacement key?