Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no production 911 with flat 8 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche has made flat 8s and 12s before, so the history is there. It's just a matter of time.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A flat-8 is longer. If you keep the rear engine configuration you add more mass further back behind the axle line. This increases the pendulum effect and means the car is a less nimbler handler. It also adds weight. In addition cooling needs to be increased. The gearbox needs to be stronger and likely heavier. All that weight means the brakes need to be uprated (Porsche offers PCCB's for free shock) which means unsprung weight increases. You end up in a vicious cycle of increasing weight and poorer handling.

The bigger and real question is how do you make the 911 compete with some of the newer "upstarts"? The key has to be weight reduction. Increasingly stringent emissions laws will mean that you can't go on increasing power and stay within those emissions laws. So make the car lighter to make it faster. Charge extra for lightness. Ferrari does with the CS. Lamborghini does with the Superleggera. Porsche already does with the Club version of the GT3.

Instead of charging $16,000 for X51, charge the same amount for a 200kg weight reduction. If you're going to the track or facing increasingly draconian emission laws which would you prefer?

The flat-8 may happen, but I wouldn't trust Top Gear to be on the button on anything other that Clarkson's ego needs. The fact that Porsche can built it doesn't mean they will or even if they did that it would go into the 911. I suspect you're more likely to see a hybrid 911 than one with a flat-8.

Weight watchers is what the 911 needs to sign up for, not a flat-8.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:21 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
A flat-8 is longer. If you keep the rear engine configuration you add more mass further back behind the axle line. This increases the pendulum effect and means the car is a less nimbler handler. It also adds weight. In addition cooling needs to be increased. The gearbox needs to be stronger and likely heavier. All that weight means the brakes need to be uprated (Porsche offers PCCB's for free shock) which means unsprung weight increases. You end up in a vicious cycle of increasing weight and poorer handling.

The bigger and real question is how do you make the 911 compete with some of the newer "upstarts"? The key has to be weight reduction. Increasingly stringent emissions laws will mean that you can't go on increasing power and stay within those emissions laws. So make the car lighter to make it faster. Charge extra for lightness. Ferrari does with the CS. Lamborghini does with the Superleggera. Porsche already does with the Club version of the GT3.

Instead of charging $16,000 for X51, charge the same amount for a 200kg weight reduction. If you're going to the track or facing increasingly draconian emission laws which would you prefer?

The flat-8 may happen, but I wouldn't trust Top Gear to be on the button on anything other that Clarkson's ego needs. The fact that Porsche can built it doesn't mean they will or even if they did that it would go into the 911. I suspect you're more likely to see a hybrid 911 than one with a flat-8.

Weight watchers is what the 911 needs to sign up for, not a flat-8.
I agree, the use of alumnum and/or composites would help Porsche increase performance without increasing HP. Bye the way, 3.8 to 4.0 L is getting pretty big for 6 cyl car engine. Yes an 8 cyl in the back would create even more challenges for the designl. Actually Porsche could turbocharge the 911 for not much money ( $1,000....that is what every other manufacturer charges)to increase hp but then they would rather sell you the much more expensive TT model for much more mney with a completely different engine.

Logically, I think the next step would be something likethe Audi R8. But remember, they cannot risk fooling around with the Icon. The 911 is why they can sell all of those Cayennes, Boxsters and Caymanns!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 PM
conlyeviper
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only imagine what it's going to sound like! I can't wait! I just wish that it wasn't going to be so damn expensive! don't get me wrong, it'll be worth every penny, but ... I like my money in my wallet and not theirs, you know?! UUUhhhh I can't wait! the only other engine that could come close to sounding as sweet is the Carrera GT's V10, (that thing is heavenly!) is a flat eight!!! For me... a flat 8 would be THE PERFECT platform to build around! I know what i'm about to say is borderline blasphemy, but I think it's time for change, and the 911 needs to either go, or change significantly. either way would be good, I mean Porsche has the Cayman which, IMO, is a better setup, not as sexy, but still better. They could make a flat 8 911, just make it longer and wider. I like the side 911's, like RWB's. Whatever Porsche does, I can't wait to see the results! It'll be nothing short of brilliant, for sure!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

6 year old thread and no flat 8 yet - don't hold your breath.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:03 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
6 year old thread and no flat 8 yet - don't hold your breath.
'Flat crank' v-8 has been out for 3 years - just not made by Porsche.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2013, 03:11 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
In fact, a few months ago in Top Gear Magazine, Hamster mentioned that Porsche is secretly working on a Flat-8 engine for the next 911.

With best regards,
pretty sure there was some recent discussion about a P-car exec driving a Cayman w/flat 8
Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

do it!

Quick Reply: Why no production 911 with flat 8 engine?