Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK - will it have paddle shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
993cabfan
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PDK - will it have paddle shifters?

It seems that dual clutch transmissions (eg DSG) are often linked with paddle shifters (VW GTI and R32, several Audis).

Any rumors about Porsche possibly moving to paddles with PDK? Having recently driven a Tip, I think I would prefer paddles. I found myself accidently hitting the shift buttons at times...
Old 07-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is almost a given. Someone posted an article online a few weeks ago. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I surely hope so. I am a tiptronic owner and it take some extra thought especially on the track to flick the toggle switch up or down! I got to drive a Maserati recently that has the Ferrari F1 transmission with paddle shifters. Not only does the transmission rev match on downshifts the paddle shifter + on the right and - on the left were much nicer to use than the Tiptronic.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

And IF Porsche goes to paddle shifters (and I think they should), will they attach them to the steering wheel (like Audi) or to the steering column where they should be?
On our A3 the paddles move with the steering wheel, making for some interesting choices while cornering.
Put the paddles on the steering column please. That way they're always where you expect them to be...at 3 and 9.
Can you imagine if other "stalk controls" moved with the steering wheel, like the turn-signal lever, or the wiper control?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I agree and I hope Porsceh polls racers and performance type of customers and puts the paddle shifters on the column.....however on the F1 rae cars they are on the back of the steering wheel...go figure huh?
Old 07-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

They are on the steering wheel because the turn ratio is nowhere near the 22:1 that is on most street cars. A 12 oclock to 6 oclock turn is not possible in a race trim car.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vitamin_J
They are on the steering wheel because the turn ratio is nowhere near the 22:1 that is on most street cars. A 12 oclock to 6 oclock turn is not possible in a race trim car.
that is probably there thinking but on the F1 car the padles turn with the wheel.

So I was at the Porsche dealer today and I went over to Audi and they let me drive a TT with DSG. The paddles turned with the wheel and I had no problems with that. The DSG is way better than the Porsche Tip it is not even in the same league! Super fast up and down shift and it rev matches too! What the heck is taking Porsche so dang long to put this transmisson on the Carrera S?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:19 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 936 Likes on 522 Posts

it can't handle the horsepower, and there must be packaging issues with it with the rear engine setup.

but the real truth is probably - sales are strong, so there is no impetus to make major changes to the car (like DFI and DSG).
Old 07-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

I would agree with NYCA. I drove the 08 Corvette with the updated tranny and paddles. It was pretty spectacular. Even better than the new transmission in the Jaguar XKR. I'm not a Corvette guy, but it did have have me thinking about it.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

My wife's 987S has the Tip. Our Audi A3 has the DSG.
There is no comparison. The Tip is ancient technology compared to the speed, responsiveness, and sophistication of the DSG.
If the dual-clutch set-ups "can't handle the horsepower," I'd be very surprised.
When Porsche puts this tranny in their cars, guys in big cities should have no qualms about ordering the "automatic transmission" option. It'll change everything, making "daily driver" 997s a pleasure rather than a PITA in traffic.
I love my wife's Boxster, but if a new 987 came along with a DSG option, I'd swap for it in a minute!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 936 Likes on 522 Posts

I'm not saying it will never be able to handle the HP - of course it will - I'm just saying that the variations available now cannot, they need more engineering work on it.

what's the breakdown now on current 911s - Tip vs 6 speed? I imagine the cabrios sell mostly Tips, what about the coupes?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by nyca
what's the breakdown now on current 911s - Tip vs 6 speed? I imagine the cabrios sell mostly Tips, what about the coupes?
I have a cabriolet with a tiptronic but I only have a tip due to not having a left leg to push the clutch pedal. I wear a prosthetic but have nothing to actually push the pedal with. When I went to buy my car it was dang near impossible to find a tip let alone a black cab with a tip.

After driving a Maserati with the F1 tranny and now a Audi with DSG if Porsche annouced they were shipping a 997S tomorrow with a tranny like those I would be at my dealer when the doors opened!

I love my Porsche and am a very proud owner and enjoy my local PCA club...but... if Porsche does not get there act together with a awesome new clutchless type of F1 tranny I will be forced to look elsewhere for a cool sports car for the track and fun around town.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:18 AM
Streamlined
Instructor

Originally Posted by nyca
I'm not saying it will never be able to handle the HP - of course it will - I'm just saying that the variations available now cannot, they need more engineering work on it.
Yeah, it seems to be the case that for some reason the current dual clutch DSG can't handle too much torque/hp. I don't know much about the F1 transmissions in Ferraris, Lambos and the like, but the BMW SMG I've driven was not nearly as smooth as the DSG.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:53 AM
Zipgun
Instructor

Well the Bugatti Veyron has a variation of the DSG (Dual Clutch Transmission)so I would say it is possible at this time...

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4909/
Old 07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It's been my experience with Porsche that designs have to get really settled out before they will go public with something. For all the automotive spies out there, please keep a closer look INSIDE these newer cars from Porsche particularly near the steering wheels...that will be our first clue that something is close to release.

Quick Reply: PDK - will it have paddle shifters?