Sponsored by:

Alternative Solution for Front Plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by baileybonds
Why wouldnt this work if I have a tip? This plate mount doesnt seem like it would block airflow anymore than the standard factory/dealer mount?
If it's dead space in the center section like mine it should work fine.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 168 Posts

It's not the mount that would block the airflow to the center radiator, it's the license plate itself.
I'm not even sure how much of a problem it would present since the entire front opening would not be blocked...air would still be hitting the radiator from either side of the license plate.
Anybody with more knowledge about this want to chime in?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:09 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, Leader. The plate will block the center of the radiator and reduce the effective cooling area.
The efficiency of the radiator will suffer (potentially dramatically), causing coolant (X51) or trans fluid (Tip) to exit the radiator at a temp higher than the design temp.

Another interesting effect that would be very difficult to calculate is the turbulent airflow around the plate, which could possibly increase the "effective" area of the license plate - that is, eddy currents around the plate edges and/or a low-pressure zone behind the plate itself could prevent even the exposed radiator from functioning correctly. The result, again - additional heat retained in the working fluid.

The stock mount does not completely block the opening, and allows high-velocity air to move thru the third radiator at vehicle speed. Moving the plate down into the opening prevents this from happening and may stagnate airflow in the entire opening...

It would take some instrumented testing to make an informed decision. Simply doing the math on the static radiator area blocked by the plate would not give you a real-world answer.

Sorry. I'd vote no on an X51 or a Tip.

The mount looks great, though!

-d
Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if it is necessary to have the top and bottom inch or so of the plate visible, could you bend these forward so that the plate would slide to the back of the center opening, showing the plate number, yet having the plate itself far back in the opening for better cosmetics?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Originally Posted by mal28
I wonder if it is necessary to have the top and bottom inch or so of the plate visible, could you bend these forward so that the plate would slide to the back of the center opening, showing the plate number, yet having the plate itself far back in the opening for better cosmetics?
The plate is too big ( tall) to fit in the opening and bending it isn't an option.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Why is your license plate smiling?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Why is your license plate smiling?
My thoughts exactly. I think it makes the front look like one of those grinning emotocons. I live in New York and I don't use the front plate on any of my cars and have never been cited even when I've been pulled over for a moving violation.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:25 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

I don't want to jinx myself by saying too much... but if I got a fix-it ticket I'd opt for the www.moweraxle.com
Old 07-18-2007, 04:21 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yea - with my third raditor sitting there in the middle...

BUT - the good news is that since I am taking the 911 to California with me but keeping it registered in MD - hopefully less people out there will know if MD has front plates or not...

Old 07-19-2007, 02:42 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Up here people skirt the laws by bending down the front plate and ziptieing it on.
The law says we can't cut the plate, but it doesn't forbid bending the top edges of the plate down, so long as the numbers are still visible.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I'm in Texas and don't have a front plate. I've had a few speeding tickets like most, but never was I once asked about the plates. I left the front European dilivery plates on my BMW and got custom plates to match in the rear. I have thought of making a custom plate for the front of the Porsche, just-in-case. As you know, the Euro plates are longer and more narrow. So, they are a perfect fit for the bumper. I would use the same "stick on" tape that I used on the BMW. Works like a charm.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Hey, I didn't say it was perfect just an alternative to drilling 2 holes in the bumper or getting a ticket. I wish the law didn't require it in NY but I hate giving the Police a reason to stop me.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:42 PM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm going to break down this spring and install the front LP.

I'm tending towards the Bob in NY solution from Top Flight Repro.

anybody have any new ideas or solutions?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:10 PM
mja
1st Gear

My first ever post here. I went with mower axel bracket. Works great.

Last edited by mja; 03-02-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Perfect timing on this post Bob.Got nailed today by the jokers at Jones Beach.They think they are patroling the Iraq borders over there.Was going to go with the tow screw method, but I like the adhesive bracket you installed.Looks centered and as stock as can be Will probably order it tomorrow. Do you think there is any chance of disturbing paint finish by using the adhesive? Thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply: Alternative Solution for Front Plate