Sponsored by:

Best radio system for our porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best radio system for our porsche

Hello Board....this topic comes up every so often and considering several options in buying 911's that are out there.....I currently have the Bose system in my Boxster and have been reasonably happy but there are better system out there and wish to know your thoughts......Some of the cars I am considering have the Bose system and others do not....so it reasonable to consider these Boseless cars too and upgrade to other audio systems???? Thanks as usual and have great motoring this weekend
Old 07-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I've heard the non Bose system in the 997 and it was terrible. I would rate the Bose system in my car as "not bad" for an OEM sytstem. If you install aftermarket I'm sure you could build a better system at a price.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:44 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

From everything I've read and been told, while it is possible to upgrade the PCM based (both Bose and non-Bose) system to after-market, it will cost a small fortune. And I think once you start driving a 997, you will enjoy the act of driving so much that the quality of the sound system will take a back seat. The Bose system may not be fantastic, but it is certainly better than the standard. I would prefer a 997 with Bose, and am (and did) pay the extra cost for it, but I would have no problem buying one that didn't have Bose if the right car (in all other ways) came along.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:43 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Bose system in mine. My previous car (Boxster S) had the "hi-fi" system, which I believe is below the Bose system, and one step higher than the base system. My 997's Bose system is significantly better. It doesn't have the higher end fidelity that I get in my BMW Logic 7 system, but it has very strong base. My view is that it sounds good enough to pay the premium, and I don't think it's worth the cost and hassle of upgrading to an after market system.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:07 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am very happy with my Bose and would rather not go through the hassle and money of upgrading it to a custom system. I think the speakers are bright enough and the bass hits fairly hard.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

I say go for the Bose....much better than the HK in my 04 M3. As long as you are not looking for ear shattering db levels the Bose is fine.

Dave
Old 07-15-2007, 07:13 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I also have the Bose. Good bass and not bad overall, but I can live without it.

With the PSE on my car, I seldom turn on my Bose.

With best regards,
Old 07-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

Any good aftermarket systems you would reccommend??? Is XM or Serius satellite possible???
Old 07-18-2007, 08:57 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bose Schmose... the stock radio is fine if you spend a few minutes adjusting it. I suppose I don't really care about my car's radio because I don't listen to it much in the Porsche -- I listen to the wonderful engine sounds, which surely are enhanced by the AWE headers, cats, and mufflers. My home audio is Linn, so it's not that I don't appreciate good equipment.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Bose system with 6 disc in my 996 and like it. For an OEM system, it's fine. Sure, you can do better with an aftermarket system, but spend your $$ on other stuff, IMO.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:33 AM
mikegee
Rennlist Member

this is the first nice car that i have NOT put an aftermarket system in. I have the "hi end"( which it ain't) Bose system, and it is good enough for some short term listening. I mostly am always trying to run this thing as fast as I can legally get away with, so the radio is only a distraction.

For "show cars" Jl makes a great system that will utilize your pcm, by pass the sorry bose amps, and allow you to get some really great sound
Old 07-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Integration costs are significant if you get away from the stock systems. We've had a few who have done it but the costs are astronomical. For a mobile platform I think some people are asking for too much. The accoustics in an AUTOMOBILE are just not going to allow you to do much anyway. Why bother?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:00 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the base stereo, and I dislike it to the point of turning it off. The least-awful position is treble -1, bass +3, loudness off, but it's still tinny and distant-sounding. It sounds okay while standing still with the engine off, but there's so much noise when the car's moving - motor, wind, tires - the stereo either can't drown it out or there's not enough sound deadening. I've given up trying to get decent audio out of the 997.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 PM
mikegee
Rennlist Member

Well the Acoustics in a cab aren't so great, that's for sure. LOL! but really, for about 4700 us you can get JL top of line speakers, By pass system, Alpine mini amps mounted in boot ( smaller than two cigar boxes) Jl 10'' sub(stealthly mounted) Ipod integration, top of line JL speakers. I've paid to have something like this done many times in other cars, and the sound is enormous, not LOUD, but a big rich sound. In a coupe, it is surperb! And all running on oyur STOCK CONTROLS!!

Again, I'm not doing it on this one cause I am not showing or just "riding around" ( as my dad puts it)

mike
Old 07-18-2007, 01:02 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You're right, mikegee, but for many of us a system like that would result in more pain than pleasure: consider the possibility of rattles, thumps, warranty claims with related electrics, equipment not working properly, and the liability of an unfamiliar installer clawing around a new 997. I've had full custom systems in trucks in the past, but none of them have ever worked as cleanly, easily, or neatly as OEM.

Quick Reply: Best radio system for our porsche