Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd owner 2nd Engine - effects the value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:16 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd owner 2nd Engine - effects the value?

Looking at this 05 - 11k miles, already on engine #2 and owner #2.

2005 Porsche 997 Carrera S 6-speed Slate Grey/Full Black Leather. Heated Adaptive Sports Seats. Bi-Xenon lights, Boss Premium Sound System with remote 6-CD changer, 19" factory alloy wheels with wheel caps and colored crests,Carrera S rear insignia factory delete. 11K miles. All service records and books. Southern California car with no history of accidents or repaints. Perfect condition, always garaged. No track usage. Full Factory warrantee including towing service until October 2008.

So is the seller smokin' crack to stick to $71k for this car, based on the owner history and engine replacement?

What do you guys think - what's the bottom line $$$ for a car with this pedigree?

Anything else to look for after the engine swap?

Any help much appreciated.

Chris.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:21 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

It may be fine, but FWIW, I'd keep looking. Lots of '05s and '06s now. Check on cars.com to get a feel for what's out there
Old 07-07-2007, 10:31 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one is super local, so I'm trying to get to a point where I understand what's reasonable to pitch as $$$ rather than travel further afield.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:33 PM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at used 911 lately and this one does seem high for an '05. I have priced a new C2S with almost the same options for around 90. Figure in a 5-10% off MSRP discount, puts that car in low/mid 80's BRAND NEW. That one is a 2005 so subtract another 2-5K. So his price of $71 for this 2 owner car on it's second engine is high. Doesn't mean some sucker won't buy it, just don't let that be you.

My bid....$60K (I bet the car is a lemon with so many owners so quickly.)

Ebay link for reference.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MSRP-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-08-2007, 01:43 AM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

paid 74 for my 06 S w/ 4k miles on it at the local dealer a few months back.
(It's had an engine swap also).

I just couldn't spend anymore, even if alitlle more for new. (I felt like I was spending enough as it was.) Plus, the car was only 6 miles from my house, and I liked it.

Offer what you're comfortable with, but my money's on you not looking back...
(I just don't see the price as bein' as outta line as the other posters' do)...

wish you well, whatever ya do

(It's a pretty nice looker to me) ;-)

Dave
(Haven't looked lately, but I haven't seen an 11k mile 997S at 60 grand yet...plus that one's got even less on the engine

Last edited by dgcate; 07-08-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:01 AM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
My bid....$60K (I bet the car is a lemon with so many owners so quickly.)
I don't think so....
Old 07-08-2007, 04:00 AM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4thporsche
I don't think so....
Disagree on the Price or the Lemon?
My starting bid was from what I saw for 2004/2005 996s that actually "sold" on Ebay. Most beginning bids were in the high 50's with winning bids low 60's. (C2S coupe) Was my bid too high? (But I am new to the Porsche market, my background is more in Honda or Audi products.)

Or is it the Lemon part? I guess I was thinking Lemon as in the car is doing something that allows it to get 2 owners in 2 years and it's looking for owner #3. Not an actual Lemon which would need to be disclosed.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:21 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

Think it's high for an 05 car with 2 owners and 2 engines so soon. IMHO. I'd get more specifics before I'd offer anything. You don't want to be owner #3 and engine #3 or 4 for that matter outta your own pocket 6-10 mos down the road. There are alot of 05 cars out there and you can probably find a CPO one or in as good a condition somewhat nearby. Don't let the thought of a trip to pick it up scare you off...hell that'll be half the fun driving it home. Road trip anyone?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:54 AM
drmarkp
Advanced

2 owners is common for a car of that age - and the new engine (remember it comes with new starter, a/c compressor, alternator etc) is a major bonus in my opinion. Don't let either put you off if it's the right spec and the price is right (no idea what US cars worth - only that we in the UK are ripped off. My 7500 mile Nov 04 S cost me 116,000 bucks a year ago and that was a fair price. It was 150,000 bucks new!).
Old 07-08-2007, 12:24 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Simply having asked the question - you also partially answered it. Having said, replacement engines do not appear to be uncommon - but then you'll need to explain that to the uninitiated, next buyer.

I was almost secuded by a seemingly, great price on a Califorina 'buy back' in Phoenix ...with a new trans, a third engine, etc. But then, I figger'd I'd have to talk faster than a carny barker to get rid of it. ...or further discount it.

I normally avoid car dealers like a VA Hospital but got a great car/deal/service from P. North Olmstead in Cleveland. First time I drove a 997 was the ride home.

Good hunting ...the egg hunt is part of thrill.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Hi guys, I've been lurking around for quite awhile while considering the possibility of buying a 997 (great info on the board by the way) and in reading this thread was wondering how you found out about the engine changes or other repairs - did they show up on the Carfax, or did you have to run the VIN with a dealer to see the service record? Do the dealers do this willingly - I've had issues trying this with BMWs in the past, the dealer service dept can be a pain...

Thanks in advance for your help - I've been eye balling a ton of used 911s online and trying to figure out the how to get the best car for the best price is bedeviling me (that and wrestling with getting it at all )
Old 07-08-2007, 10:03 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Dealer should provide that info..but sometimes you have to ask. If you ask for them to run the VIN in the service dept then all will show that's been done to the car under warranty. Some dealers may not offer it but most will tell you if you ask and are persistant. Carfax no...only what is reported. My 99 997 had a body panel replaced when I bought it used and Carfax showed nothing and actually said NO MAJOR REPAIRS or Accidents...yet the rear quarter panel was new and had been replaced. I only found out when I had it inspected afterward while having a coolant tank replaced and the independant shop pointed it out to me. Asked the dealer and he was like "well how would we know!" Ahh same as the independant shop... INSPECT the freakin car.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Dealer should provide that info..but sometimes you have to ask. If you ask for them to run the VIN in the service dept then all will show that's been done to the car under warranty. Some dealers may not offer it but most will tell you if you ask and are persistant. Carfax no...only what is reported. My 99 997 had a body panel replaced when I bought it used and Carfax showed nothing and actually said NO MAJOR REPAIRS or Accidents...yet the rear quarter panel was new and had been replaced. I only found out when I had it inspected afterward while having a coolant tank replaced and the independant shop pointed it out to me. Asked the dealer and he was like "well how would we know!" Ahh same as the independant shop... INSPECT the freakin car.

Thanks for the response - guess if I am looking at a private party sale I'll need to find a friendly dealer to provide records, or perhaps just pay to have a dealer check the car over too. What do you think would be a fair charge for having a dealer look over a car and provide service history?

On the other hand, we have been checking out cars that are a distance away, making a pre purchase dealer checkover difficult, maybe its just best to stick with considering buying via a dealership...

That really stinks about the replaced body panel and makes me wonder about any inspection. Guess there was no way to take Carfax up on the vehicle buyback for not having that info huh?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:05 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

If you have to replace the engine a third time as the third owner, I don't think you'll ever be able to get rid of it!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:19 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

The carfax buyback was worthless. I found there's so much fine print and loopholes for them to get out of that basically the car is stuck as yours. (i.e. you HAVE to register for the buyback coverage within a certain time frame of purchase and MUST do all the steps otherwise its negligent, the dealer must show proof that they took reasonable steps to fix your problem and/or did not take steps that would have let yhrn know about it under reasonable circumstances and so forth!)

Quick Reply: 2nd owner 2nd Engine - effects the value?