Sponsored by:

blown engine and I have no clue why

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:43 PM
bdmason
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up blown engine and I have no clue why

I found out this past Wednesday the my engine was ng, blown piston and service rep showed me one of my spark plugs which was ground down to the threads . I have no clue what happened but it all started when I left the drivers door open and wore down the battery to the point that it would not start. I tried to jump it with no luck . The only thing I did was when porsche sent a tow truck to try to get me started we pushed the car to try to jump start by popin the clutch. Nothing worked so it was taken to the dealer. I posted this to see if anyone has an idea what happened , and to say bravo porsche for standing by their product. ps . (42,000 odometer reading when it occured) 2005 997 C2 cab
Old 07-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Keep us posted on how the dealership handled the business. Of course, Porsche won't let on as to why it failed,--perhaps your local service manager can give you some insight.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:45 AM
bdmason
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Keep us posted on how the dealership handled the business. Of course, Porsche won't let on as to why it failed,--perhaps your local service manager can give you some insight.
Will do, Dan
Old 07-08-2007, 07:11 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

2nd that, keep us posted.... Sorry for your troubles, I hope every 42k miles was a pleasure!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:45 PM
MMD
Banned

Awful. Depressing. Sorry to hear.

If this happens to other guys, my advice is to bite your tongue with *any* details of what you did to the car prior to bringing it in to dealer service. In this case push starting *might* be a great excuse for Porsche to nix the warrenty.

Yeah yeah yeah, the Porsche-sent tow truck guy (human or ape?) suggested it..., still: keep your mouth shut to avoid problems hatching.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:47 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear the bad news. At least it happened while you are still under warranty.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:52 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Mason: Did you do the old Army routine: "I'll give you a ride - if you give me a push."..hands on the fenders. Or did that trucker bring his chrome horn up and push you with it?

I'm surprised you didn't hear that engine having itself for Brek/Lunch/Dinner before the battery issue?! Metal-on-metal is not something easily forgoten. I assume that Bravo is not a 'thank you in advance'; they've approved a zero-time engine. Not a bad time for it to happen...
Old 07-08-2007, 02:12 PM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
I hope every 42k miles was a pleasure!
Originally Posted by MMD
Awful. Depressing.
I'm sorry for your inconvience too. I wouldn't want it to happen to me...

But....w/ these cars (or any car, for that matter) at 42k miles? I'd probably take that deal even if there was nothing wrong w/ the engine.

Sit your 42k mile car w/ a dealer-installed, new engine, and all new accessories, sided-by-side w/ one w/ it's original engine at 42k miles? I like the free 42k miles.

You'll never know it was changed. (except for maybe more power).

Last edited by dgcate; 07-08-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

This sounds very strange. I have blown up an engine only once ( '69 VW Beetle). It swallowed a valve ( common problem) and was a horiffic sound. It was old and the solution in those day was to get a used engine and install it ( they were widely available). I definitely think you would have noticed such an event! Also, I cannot see how roll starting a car can cause such severe damage to the engine. Uh Oh!..... not a nice thing to say..... but could it be that a friend of the dealer needed a new engine?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:46 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

The 42K engine would probably have more power.

But I would still get the new engine!

Originally Posted by dgcate
You'll never know it was changed. (except for maybe more power).
Old 07-08-2007, 09:51 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Wouldnt it be a shame if the only engine they had on hand was a TT?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:02 AM
bdmason
Instructor

Originally Posted by wetstuff
Mason: Did you do the old Army routine: "I'll give you a ride - if you give me a push."..hands on the fenders. Or did that trucker bring his chrome horn up and push you with it?

I'm surprised you didn't hear that engine having itself for Brek/Lunch/Dinner before the battery issue?! Metal-on-metal is not something easily forgoten. I assume that Bravo is not a 'thank you in advance'; they've approved a zero-time engine. Not a bad time for it to happen...
the tow truck driver pushed me down my driveway. FYI until that day I never had one problem with the car a few stupid things but it never burned 1 ounce of oil I never had an engine knock . Thank gawd porsche is honoring it's waranty , they approved the new engine in less than a week from day it got to the dealership
Old 07-09-2007, 11:02 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There often is no reason for the all dreaded engine grenade. My 996 blew at 5k miles. It was broken in properly etc. Porsche gave me a new one and I continued my happy ownership.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:38 PM
wdonovan
Instructor

Nothing you did caused it. Purely coincidence.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:45 PM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Not an answer as to why, but you may want to look on the bright side. 15-20 years ago the dealer mechanic may have been tasked with dismantling the engine and "fixing" what went away, unless it was a major catastrophic failure.

Good luck back then of ever having an engine as good as the original one ever was. Porsche now considers these engines and transmissions to be a cartrigdge, and you will end up with a brand new German made "0 mile" engine.

Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: blown engine and I have no clue why