Sponsored by:

Opinions regarding my order

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007 | 08:25 PM
gary mermel
Instructor

Default Opinions regarding my order

Have been watching this thread with great interest and it's been a real help:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/362304-options-list-for-my-order-car-anything-add-delete.html

Have added the door finisher and storage lid w/ crest to my list--thanks to all.

Opinions on the standard sound system vs. the Bose premium system would be appreciated.

As for the rest of the plan (pdf gone ):

GT Silver/Cocoa
Power seat package
Heated seats
Rear center console in exterior color
19" turbo wheel
Self dimming mirrors
Sport chrono
Stainles steel exhaust pipes
Door entry guards in stainless steel
Navigation module for PCM
Door finishers in leather
Storage compartment with Porsche crest

Last edited by gary mermel; 07-01-2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added specs because of worthless pdf upload
Old 07-01-2007 | 09:54 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

GAry - I think you wil need to dump the PDF file and type in your specs.
Old 07-02-2007 | 12:17 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Opinions on the standard sound system vs. the Bose premium system would be appreciated.
If you are an audiophile and don't mind the $1,390 price, the Bose is a decent sound package and I recommend it. There are little difference between the Bose and Standard systems if we just listen to AM radio traffic report and news (like me ); but once we turn up the volume with some music, the bass and sound quality is very obvious.

For me, I have the Bose package but I seldom use it. The PSE (which I highly recommend) sounds so good that I always turn off the audio just to enjoy the signature Porsche PSE exhaust note.

If I were need to count my beans on choosing my options, the Bose is not a must-have option. However, if budget allows, get both the Bose and PSE

Just my thoughts,

With best regards,
Old 07-02-2007 | 12:40 AM
gary mermel
Instructor

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
If I were need to count my beans on choosing my options, the Bose is not a must-have option. However, if budget allows, get both the Bose and PSE
I tend to be a talk radio kind of guy too, which is why I'm leaning against the Bose. Modifying it later is not a great option in that while OEM sound systems are usually overpriced it's hard to beat the factory installed fit and finish.

As for PSE, well, owning the car is, by itself, borderline overdoing it already
Old 07-02-2007 | 12:52 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gary mermel
I tend to be a talk radio kind of guy too, which is why I'm leaning against the Bose.
I have the Bose and it does not blow me away - I don't think it was worth the extra bucks, but then again I have never been in a Porsche without it. I would think that you should be fine without it and I don't think it would hurt your resale.
Old 07-03-2007 | 02:34 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
I have the Bose and it does not blow me away - I don't think it was worth the extra bucks, but then again I have never been in a Porsche without it. I would think that you should be fine without it and I don't think it would hurt your resale.

+1
My two favorite options are PSE and Short Shifter.
Old 07-03-2007 | 04:32 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

The Bose is not the finest stock system by any means, but it's definitely one of the less expensive Porsche options in terms of bang for the buck. My wife's new Volvo S80 V8 has the Dynaudio system - it's markedly better than the Bose - but it's not available in the Porsche. Sorry.
The Lexus / Mark Levinson system is the best. But it's not available in a Porsche, either... <g>

So, I'd say yes on the Bose.

I also love my PSE. Many times, I just turn the stereo off and listen to the car... I know that there are aftermarket solutions that are lighter / less expensive, but I like the fact that it's all Porsche - and it's switchable (although I've bypassed the vacuum line for now, I can still go back to the switch easily).

There is a company offering a speaker replacement for the Bose system - as it appears that the Bose drivers are the weak link in the system... I've considered this: http://www.reusaudio.com

I also have Navi - but I could easily do without it. The system is fairly accurate and easy to use, but it's a bit dated in its overall execution. Save $1,500 and buy a Nuvi...

Good luck!

-don
Old 07-03-2007 | 07:12 PM
malammik
Racer

I think you will find about 50/50 split on this issue. IMO, enjoyment of music in a p-car is impossible so it does not matter which audio you have, bose or non-bose. (1) The cabin noise is loud and intrusive (2) you're so pre-occupied with driving, your brain is too overwhelmed to pay attention to music. However for a background musical noise, any system will do.
Old 07-04-2007 | 01:29 AM
gary mermel
Instructor

Originally Posted by malammik
I think you will find about 50/50 split on this issue. IMO, enjoyment of music in a p-car is impossible so it does not matter which audio you have, bose or non-bose. (1) The cabin noise is loud and intrusive (2) you're so pre-occupied with driving, your brain is too overwhelmed to pay attention to music. However for a background musical noise, any system will do.
This reflects my suspicions, and why I'm still not sure I'll spill. I appreciate everyone's comments, though. And have posted an update regarding my "waiter" status. Currently on hold for the '08.5 or '09, whichever has DFI....

Old 07-04-2007 | 01:40 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

If I could do everything over I'd add Bose, stock radio sounds like audio coming from laptop speakers.

Quick Reply: Opinions regarding my order