Sponsored by:

PCM Telephone Module Add

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007 | 06:03 PM
stsanford
Advanced

Default PCM Telephone Module Add

Hi,
I am thinking of purchasing the telephone module for my 997 C4. DPS Motorsports has something for around $1500. Would this be everything required, or do you still need to go to the dealer to have the feature "unlocked"?

I'm seriously considering this as the idea of having a separate line for the 911 would be a very convenient option for me.

Thanks,
Old 06-15-2007 | 06:23 PM
4thporsche
Racer

I think there's more to it than that. The ad says that you need a harness and if that's the case a dealer will need to do the wiring. Could be other things you need. Also the dealer would likely need to use the PIWIS tool to activate the feature in the PCM. That's the way it was when I added the Nav unit. DPS is definitley not the low cost provider. Once you figure out exactly what you need I am sure Suncoast could get it for you cheaper.
Old 06-15-2007 | 06:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Where do you live? We've had some discussions about the phone in the past, and there are different opinions about it's worth based on location. Some people in Houston, myself included, are not having very good luck with the phone. I almost never get through a call without losing the connection. It's so bad I'm tempted to ask Porsche for a refund on it (yeah, I know, fat chance). To be fair though, other folks in other parts of the country love their phone, so I think it is a compatibility issue between the PCM phone and Cingular in the SE Texas area. I would ask around about people's satisfaction in your part of the world before I chunk down a wad of cash for the phone.
Old 06-15-2007 | 08:29 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I use Cingular (the new AT&T?). In where I live, the Phone Moduel for PCM work excellently, and its reception is as good as my regular cell phone.

I guess it is area/network/etc. dependent...?

I also like its integration with PCM, like when I make/answer a call the Radio/CD will automatically lower the sound. And the built-in microphone picks up my voice very clearly, people who I talk told me that they can't tell I was in a car with speaker phone.

I also like the control stalk in the steering column, and the integrated display inside the speedometer. I can make/answer calls without moving my eyes and hands off the road and wheel.

My car came with the Phone Module for PCM, but to retrofit it I think it might involve dealers to active some functions like the steering column control and speedometer display?

However, with that said, even I have the Phone Moduel for PCM in my car, I am not sure of its price, especially the retrofit kit+installation. I think for that price the money will be better spent on one (or even a couple) top of the line cell phones with nice speaker phone feature.

Just my thoughts...

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 06-15-2007 | 10:37 PM
stsanford
Advanced

Thanks for your feedback. I would think that Cingular's coverage in my area (Long Island, NY) would be excellent, as it is for my PDA / Phone. I'm just looking for an integrated solution, I have a Bluetooth headset that works well, but the idea of a separate phone # and integrated solution piqued my interest.
I will see what the hard costs work out to be, and will post back my findings.
Old 06-15-2007 | 11:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Cingular's coverage in Houston is fine. I get a great signal on my hand held cell phone, and I get dropped calls on my PCM phone at exactly the same place.
Old 07-03-2007 | 07:07 PM
xeron
AutoX

I love the phone. great reception and clarity. Can't talk and shift at same time so the phone is great for me.
Old 07-03-2007 | 07:43 PM
S4to911
Instructor

I have had the phone for over a year. You need an optical waveguide (?harness) as well as the phone module.

I have T-Mobile in Pittsburgh and the phone works fine. To change carriers, all you need to do is change the GSM card if you are not satisfied with a particular vendor's reception.
Old 07-04-2007 | 04:47 AM
W211
Racer

Ok, for those with the module has anyone figured out a way to program pauses?

Quick Reply: PCM Telephone Module Add