Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you ordered your car, did you get a discount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:41 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts
Default If you ordered your car, did you get a discount?

I've managed to get 10% off my lot purchases of Porsches, on average. What can I expect to get on an order car, domestic delivery?

Thanks in advance...

Bill
Old 06-28-2007, 11:07 PM
SkyDriving
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just recently received my custom ordered 997 Targa 4S in Nordic Gold. Literally, the only thing I could "get" was a leather Porsche keychain, great service and lot of smiles all around.

My buddy custom ordered his 996 Turbo from the same dealership (Barrier in Bellevue, WA) and prepped me on the ordering experience and lack of dealing. He was even nice enough to go in with me when I ordered, but it didn't get me any off list.

No regrets at all. I 100% got the car I wanted, everything has been perfect. The people that work there are at the top of their game and provide impeccable service. This keeps me having no regrets about paying through the nose. These guys simply earn it.

Here is my thank you note I sent to the dealer after delivery:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: Targa Update

I wanted to thank you guys very sincerely for your help over the last year. You have set a new standard on working with a dealership. You have blown every expectation I had as professionals and so did the Porsche itself! Hats off to you the Team Barrier Porsche!

- Jeff
Old 06-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Bill, there have been a bunch of threads about that, but I don't think that any of them are recent (which is probably why you are asking). Ten percent off is pretty much the highest I have heard about, especially when you state on average. Expect less on an ordered one, but I'd say you are doing well.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:19 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard (emphasis on the "heard") of discounts up to 12% on ordered 997 cars. Since an ordered car doesn't sit on the lot and take up floorplanning, it might be possible to get a considerable discount.

My 7S was custom-ordered, and I received a decent - but not screaming - discount on it.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:23 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Kinda' what I expected. Hmm. Well, I check it out. Oh, I would like to see some pics of that orange/gold car. That looks wicked.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:34 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I just got my 07 C2S couple months ago. My salesperson gave me the same discount whether:

- The car is in his dealer lot.
- The car is ordered.
- The car is in another dealer lot.
- The car is in transit from the ship to another dealer.

End up, I checked the website of another dealer and found the exact car I want, that car was in the ship on its way to another dealer. I contacted that dealer and they didn't offer me a good discount. And then, I contacted my dealer and they got that car from that dealer and gave me a better discount.

After they got the car, I even asked my dealer to swap the Lobster wheels with the 19" Carrera Classic wheels on another car in his showroom. They charged me around $600 dollar for the wheel/labor/color-crest, just about the same price as I ordered the wheels with the car. Not bad.

With best regards,
Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I meant to post this some time back but just never got around to it. It's certainly a good thing to have in your hip pocket as you negotiate the price of your car.

I suspect these percentages are universal, at least for the PCNA marketplace.

Your dealer gets 12% profit on the base price of the car you order. They also get 17% of the options.

Do the math on a typical 911 and you can see that they are making out like a bandit for the most part. Even the best negotiators in this forum are going to have a tough time negotiating 10% off one of these things but if certain things fall into shape anything is possible. For example, if your car is a cabriolet and you're ordering it against a February allocation in the deep north a small time dealership might give you a good break. Those of us in So Calif can forget significant discounting but it's sort of fun to try! I was able to secure just over 7% off on my very custom and highly loaded Carrera S Cabriolet with Paint To Sample and European Delivery. I'm certain that is on the high side, but I think I am fairly good at negotiating. The rule seems to be that the more options you have the better you can do. As you can see, with their 17% margin on options they're still taking in 10% if they give you 7% off. That's still going to be $10-15k on a loaded Carrera. As we approach the end of the MY08 cars with a well known facelift in the immediate future further markdowns can be secured.

I hope this helps you with your efforts.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:43 AM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered a base 997 and paid 6.25% over invoice. Although lots of folks work off of MSRP, invoice is usually recommended. It also is important that you agree up front on what other costs are involved; my dealer tried to charge me prep, even though it was not on the written agreement. We agreed to 6.25% over the TBD invoice price.

My dealer said that he would have given less of a discount for a 997S because there is higher demand. If you search a bit down, you'll find a survey thread I put together. Bottom line: 997S models are most common (for Rennlisters).

Also, shop around other dealers to see what they are offering. You can leverage this with your preferred dealer later on.

J
Old 06-29-2007, 12:57 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Just over 6% off my ordered 2007 C2S. Probably could have pushed for some more, but wanted to have a good relationship with the dealer.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 AM
SkyDriving
Track Day

Here's some choice shots of my new Nordic Gold beauty!

- Jeff
Attached Images          
Old 06-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

With that color you're going to blend right in!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:51 AM
SkyDriving
Track Day

I like sticking out! Man does it turn heads. I've had quite a few Porsche owners pull up at lights and yell out, "what color is that? I love it!" :->

Nice Turquoise! I bet that puppy gets some looks.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:37 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

As a UT grad that would be a hit with the Alum. That is their color. I really like it. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by SkyDriving
I like sticking out! Man does it turn heads. I've had quite a few Porsche owners pull up at lights and yell out, "what color is that? I love it!" :->

Nice Turquoise! I bet that puppy gets some looks.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

I got a very small ($2K) discount off my Club Coupe, and frankly in that situation I really had little bargaining power because I was going to order it regardless. Cannot complain, as I was among the first to get it (mine was the very first one built and came in on the first shipment in October 2005) and my dealer certainly didn't have to discount it a penny. It still would have been a good deal as the MSRP was already $10,000 less than a comparably equipped 997 S with X51 and special paint. But they threw me a small bone since I had previously bought 5 Porsches from them.

In a normal situation, I'd shoot for some reasonable amount over invoice, as others have said, rather than a discount off MSRP.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:38 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered my car and negotiated a 5% discount plus a Porsche child seat thrown in the deal as well. If you were willing to buy off the lot, or have the dealer locate a car at another dealer, you could do much better.

MC

Quick Reply: If you ordered your car, did you get a discount?