Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Notes on PSDS (Performance driving for dummies)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 AM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Notes on PSDS (Performance driving for dummies)

The school was about as fun as it could have been. The guy who owns it is kind of a gung ho guy but I have to say he runs a great program. We did driving and exercises. When we were done with one thing there was a van waiting to take us to the next thing. At lunch time vans picked us up and dropped us at the main building where the lunch was laid out and waiting for us. I admire well run businesses and this was done well. The instructors were helpful and nice and interesting to talk to. They are all professional drivers who only work for the school 50-120 days a year. So they don't seem to just be going through the motions.

The driving was interesting. I learned one thing that I had never known. They break driving into a simple concept. When you are going straight you maximize your throttle and your breaking. As you turn the wheel you have to lessen the breaking and throttle until the apex of the turn where you should have no throttle and allow the wheels to roll. According to them you get the maximum traction in a turn when you are basically rolling. They also talk a lot about loading up the front end to make your steering more effective and a lot about trail braking. We did some double clutching. They did a good job of making it easy.

The exercises consisted of a car control area where we worked on emergency procedures one day and double clutching the second. There was an autocross in another section which is a little track defined by cones that you race around for time. Then there was a skid pad where you ran a figure eight as fast as you can with the traction control off. I would have liked to get more *** time in the seat, but for most of the middle aged dudes like me it was demanding. For me it was like being on a ski trip except with a little too much sitting around.

The track time was fun as it could have been. We would follow the teacher in a formation. There were four students per driver. Unfortunately we had one guy who was relatively slow (compared to us other slow guys).On my turn I stayed right behind the instructor so I could follow his line accurately. He responded by going faster. By the end of those laps we inevitably had raced way ahead of the rest of the class and we had to slow down. During my other laps I worked on getting a better line and double clutching. It is very much like take a ski lesson. There is always something that you can work on.

The school is race driving for dummies. They put cones out to show you where you should be on the track. They step things up in a methodical way. All in all it it pretty tame and safe. You do have to endure some Porsche marketing hype like when you through the woods in the four wheel SUV or when they have an instructor race around the track in the souped up SUV, but I guess that is part of having the Porsche sponsorship.

In this course you get what you are paying for. I highly recommend it, and I can't wait to go back for a Masters class.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PDE is great!!
Think that you mean Heel & Toe, not double clutching.

The Masters is great... don't let too much time elapse until you attend.

Leaving this AM to attend the Masters Tues & Wed (yet again....)

Old 06-25-2007, 11:42 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
PDE is great!!
Think that you mean Heel & Toe, not double clutching.

The Masters is great... don't let too much time elapse until you attend.

Leaving this AM to attend the Masters Tues & Wed (yet again....)

Yet AGAIN! Can't believe you're still going back but then again it's truly a great program! I'm possibly planning to go back this fall with a few friends.

I agree with both above, this program really works well in educating you on the finer aspects of driving on a track among other things.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

PSDS is AWESOME and you should do the Masters Class. I will be going to the Master Class this fall. I now to DE track days at Sebring and Auto Cross with my local Porsche club...the bug has bitten!

The instructors at PSDS are super top notch! Peter Litzenberger is simple awesome and I learned a lot from Daniel Eastman and Cass Whitehead. Hurley was there during my school and that was a real treat to eat lunch with him and pick his brain.

Quick Reply: Notes on PSDS (Performance driving for dummies)