Sponsored by:

OT: Advice re Speeding ticket in Morristown NJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: Advice re Speeding ticket in Morristown NJ

Wish I had a better story to tell...got paced by a police car going 55 in a 40 area. He pulled me and Camry over, right in front of my office (how uncool...).

I haven't had a ticket since 1997, and never in NJ. How does it work here? I don't want to have to worry about speeding for the next couple of years??

PM are welcomed.

J
Old 06-19-2007, 02:25 PM
9000RPMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Jersey is tough. You can probably plead to N.J.S.A. 39:4-97.2 (version of careless, but with no points charged to your license), but that comes with a surcharge of $250 on top of the fine ($80 to $150) and court costs (usually $30). The fines are nothing but a way for the local municipality and State to tax its citizens more, in my opinion.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Imola
Track Day

55 in 40, that's a 4 point ticket I think. 9000rman is correct, that's code people plead to the most when negotiating with the prosecutor, doesn't always work thou.

The easiest (most costly) is to get a lawyer from that county, the prosecutor usually extends the curtsey to them.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=court
Old 06-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Thanks for the info!! I'll see if I can get a plea...don't want to have to drive slow for ever...
Old 06-19-2007, 03:35 PM
wdonovan
Instructor

9000's got it. I believe the name is "unsafe driving". Courts love it cause it generates MORE MONEY. That's what they're in biz for. Go to court early. Get in the line with all the people who want to talk to the prosecutor. Ask for the "unsafe" deal. He'll probably give it to you unless you say something stupid and **** him off. If you want a 99.9999% guarantee, bring a liar (oops, meant lawyer) to do the talking.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

pl: thanks for the link, should've figured this would have been covered before.

I spoke to my neighbor, who is an attorney, and he gave me great advice.

Last month, I was the victim of an armed carjacker where I live (in a C320 Wagon ?!) and since then I've had a lot of contact with the local detective (a really great guy). My friend said to call him and tell him I'm clueless and see if he has any advice. The detective said to call the prosecutor and ask if he will be willing to convert the ticket to unsafe driving. Then he offered to call the officer on my behalf. That's awesome! Finally, something good came out of a carjacking.

Years ago, I got toasted on the 110N just south of S. Pasadena, in my brand new M3. I didn't even have plates. It was 18 months of hell, waiting for the record to be expunged (thanks to traffic school). Now that I've had my 911 for 4 months, I don't want to be worrying constantly about another ticket.

Jakeman
Old 06-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Imola
Track Day

sounds like you have it all worked out. good to hear that Jakeman~

one thing good about traffic school is you get the record expunged, jersey doesn't offer anything like that.

in addtion, they have something called insurance surcharge in jersey if you get over certain points, that's with you for addtional 3 years...this is another bs charge.. don't ask how I know.. LOL
Old 06-19-2007, 06:08 PM
tocho1
Instructor

www.notspeeding.com

Not affiliated. These guys are great.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by 9000RPMan
The fines are nothing but a way for the local municipality and State to tax its citizens more, in my opinion.
How would you punish speeding? Jail?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by wdonovan
9000's got it. I believe the name is "unsafe driving". Courts love it cause it generates MORE MONEY.
It does not generate more money for the court, municipality or state. It is an offense which in essence, exchanges points on your license (which would raise your insurance rates and with enough points could result in a suspension) for the insurance surcharge. The surcharge is used to keep insurers appeased since they aren't collecting increased premiums.

Municipal Prosecutors need this plea bargaining tool in order to keep the court functioning smoothly. Without a zero point option people would not want to plead, opting instead for a trial because they couldn't do any worse.

In this particular case the offense is 4 points and the prosecutor would likely offer a 2 pt downgrade without much fuss. The zero point downgrade is typically reserved for 2 pt violations and for attorney represented defendants.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jakeman
Last month, I was the victim of an armed carjacker where I live
Yikes! Another reason why I love living up in the mountains. We get the occasional rogue elk herd, but nothing more extreme...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
Yikes! Another reason why I love living up in the mountains. We get the occasional rogue elk herd, but nothing more extreme...
Tell me about it...and I lived in LA from 1987-1993 during the riots and carjackings; nothing like this ever happened there. Luckily, no one was hurt (my kid was asleep in the back at the time and my wife was with me, too...).
Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Hit a nerve, did we? Bet I can guess what you do for a living. Sorry about the crack about "bring a liar".

Originally Posted by rfedele
It does not generate more money for the court, municipality or state. It is an offense which in essence, exchanges points on your license (which would raise your insurance rates and with enough points could result in a suspension) for the insurance surcharge. The surcharge is used to keep insurers appeased since they aren't collecting increased premiums.

Municipal Prosecutors need this plea bargaining tool in order to keep the court functioning smoothly. Without a zero point option people would not want to plead, opting instead for a trial because they couldn't do any worse.

In this particular case the offense is 4 points and the prosecutor would likely offer a 2 pt downgrade without much fuss. The zero point downgrade is typically reserved for 2 pt violations and for attorney represented defendants.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:56 PM
rfedele
Racer

Originally Posted by wdonovan
Hit a nerve, did we? Bet I can guess what you do for a living. Sorry about the crack about "bring a liar".
Don't sweat the Liar remark. Yes I am an attorney, but a defense atty trying to keep you guys (and myself) out of trouble.

I see you're in Bayville, NJ. My office is in Toms River if you ever need something.

Quick Reply: OT: Advice re Speeding ticket in Morristown NJ