Sponsored by:

Short shifter.....OEM or B&M?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:19 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Thanks for the advice on the PCA discount - forgot all about it and am having the Porsche SS kit installed tomorrow - very timely. Also, I thought you could get the Porsche ROW lowering suspension through someone like Gert at Carnewal.
You're welcome.

As for getting the Porsche ROW lowering suspension through external sources, that would be news to us, certainly to me. I looked into this briefly a couple years ago and it seemed as though these external sources were prohibited from selling and shipping to US customers. Since then there might have been some work around arrangement to circumvent the restriction, but I'm not aware of it.

If you do have more info on this please post it so that those still interested can look into it. TIA
Old 05-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Wow.

So I'm confused. My exclusive use, purchase and advocation of only Porsche Battery maintainers must be wrong.

You claimed your cheaper aftermarket chinese-made (Sears?) battery maintainer is just as good. Your reasoning astonished me because Porsche explicitly wants only Porsche-approved electronic devices to maintain warrenty; and yet you were satisfied with the "UL approved" device you were using.

"My money is on Porsche having a better engineering department than that of a [chinese-made battery maintainer supplier]."

I'm pretty sure that the Porsche Engineering dept. has nothing to do with designing battery maintainers.
Any more than they "design" alternators, A/C compressors , starter motors or DVD players.
They probably chose a well functioning unit , put the Porsche logo on it and then sell it at "Porsche" prices.

I read somewhere that Ferrari charges ~ $ 500 for their "official" Ferrari battery maintainer (and that's probably is made in China as well ) Lol

A battery maintainer is a battery maintainer is a .....
as long as it charges the battery GRADUALLY ( at low Amps ) and then SHUT'S OFF to prevent overcharging , it serves it's purpose.

I use the B&D unit . It cost under $30 and works great.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Get the B&M product and be done with it. It was made for guys like you who want to go cheap

You seem to have real difficulties making your points without pissing on people while you're talking. But that's ok........every discussion board has at least one of em' and I guess that's what makes for a diverse community.

Other than that you still haven't explained why when I shop for a part I should completely ignore the recommendation of a Porsche dealership with which I've had excellent relations for many years. You also haven't produced much if anything in the way of evidence that supports your inferior product theory. To the contrary, I recall at least two posts from B&M users who thought it operated better than the PSS and one additional post from someone like me who had his dealership recommend the B&M.

Dealership recommendations, user praise, million mile warranty on the part and no affect on the cars original factory warranty but anyone who buys this is a cheap fool who deserves all the mechanical hell that's sure to come his way.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

You're welcome.

As for getting the Porsche ROW lowering suspension through external sources, that would be news to us, certainly to me. I looked into this briefly a couple years ago and it seemed as though these external sources were prohibited from selling and shipping to US customers. Since then there might have been some work around arrangement to circumvent the restriction, but I'm not aware of it.

If you do have more info on this please post it so that those still interested can look into it. TIA
Now that I think about (and confimed by visiting the site) it was the 996 M30 suspension I was remembering. I wonder if anyone has asked Gert...or if the 997 ROW suspension is even available as aftermarket. Maybe someone has access to an ROW Techquipment catalog.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
You seem to have real difficulties making your points without pissing on people while you're talking. But that's ok........every discussion board has at least one of em' and I guess that's what makes for a diverse community.

Other than that you still haven't explained why when I shop for a part I should completely ignore the recommendation of a Porsche dealership with which I've had excellent relations for many years. You also haven't produced much if anything in the way of evidence that supports your inferior product theory. To the contrary, I recall at least two posts from B&M users who thought it operated better than the PSS and one additional post from someone like me who had his dealership recommend the B&M.

Dealership recommendations, user praise, million mile warranty on the part and no affect on the cars original factory warranty but anyone who buys this is a cheap fool who deserves all the mechanical hell that's sure to come his way.
I think the info I gather on these boards is great...but who really cares what others think - it's your decision and your money - do what you think is best for you not what will please this diverse constituency.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by nomo16
I just had the Porsche OEM Short Shift kit installed yesterday. It was shown to me that the OEM is the complete housing versus just the unit from B&M.
Q: when you need tires, will you buy a set of new factory wheels with new tires on them, or just buy tires and have them mounted/balanced on the existing wheels?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-31-2007, 06:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Q: when you need tires, will you buy a set of new factory wheels with new tires on them, or just buy tires and have them mounted/balanced on the existing wheels?

Not a very good example - tires are consumables, a mechanical shifter isn't. If you want to use your tire example why not wiper blades and batteries too?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Eric, since you sell the B&M shifter ,is the shift travel
the same as the 997 OEM Sport Shifter ?
or is it more/less ?? I read somewhere that the B&M has
~ 35 % less throw than the standard 996 shifter ?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Not sure Rolf. On the 996 the factory standard throw was about 5.25 inches, reduced to 3 inches with the B&M (this is in my '04 C4S Cab).
Old 05-31-2007, 10:01 PM
nomo16
AutoX

A: I guess I should just ask your opinion! You sell tires also??

I don't believe I stated that one was better than the other, simply that I felt more comfortable with the OEM.

Not that it should make any difference, I just ordered an aftermarket exhaust, coilovers and wheels/tires (all non-factory)
Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

You're welcome.

Double thanks - just had the Porsche SS kit installed at the local dealer - i got the PCA 10% discount on the part and the labor - $637 out the door. Works great.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 PM
gab997
Racer

Called local dealer yesterday and he advised going with the OEM, going to have installed in a couple weeks along with couple other additions IMO, any part that has direct interaction with the drive train should be the oem afterall it is a Porsche.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by gab997
Called local dealer yesterday and he advised going with the OEM, going to have installed in a couple weeks along with couple other additions IMO, any part that has direct interaction with the drive train should be the oem afterall it is a Porsche.

I'm in SW FL too and had two local dealers recommend the B&M. "Virtually identical to the OEM, made by the same company, slightly shorter throw than the OEM........it's what almost everyone's getting".

Hate to open this can of worms again but that's what they said.

Considering all that's been said on this issue.......by dealers, operators and others, I'd bet good money you could have either one installed today and be equally happy tomorrow or 20 years out no matter which one you got.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

My dealer wanted about $1000.00 to put in a short shift kit (Porsche kit) He later found out that his parts department (a seperate entity almost) sells parts to the sales group for 20% more then is sells over the counter.
I have a factory SS kit coming in from Suncoast next week. I'll post pics when I put it in.

Quick Reply: Short shifter.....OEM or B&M?