Sponsored by:

997 Cab Roll Bar Deployment

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:06 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Cab Roll Bar Deployment

So my wife was rear-ended on her way home from work about 5 weeks ago. When calling the bodyshop to see if the car would be done today or tomorrow they said that the roll bars had deployed, streching the top inner liner, and it would be about another week to be installed (waiting for the part included).

My question is, I thought that the bars would only deploy when the car sensed a rollover--would these really have deployed in a rear-end collision? I didn't notice anything unusual in the rear inside, but wasn't looking for it either.

Aside from almost 2 months to get the car back (which we had taken delivery of 4 weeks before the incident) the at fault party has the state minimum coverage of $15k, versus the damage of $18k (bye bye deductible, hello small claims court).
Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

The sensors the the roll bars are cued by angular motion indicative of a roll as well as lightness upon the suspension such as when going fast over a hilltop and actually taking weight off the suspension,--also something that could happen prior to a roll. Perhaps the rear end was enough to lift the rear end up just enough to affect that sensor so it deployed the roll bars.

Good luck with the courts. In today's day in age people can be very foolish running with minimum insurance coverage. It opens them up to personal liabilities. In a sense I also have to fault the state for permitting such a minimum. Today's cars are only more and more expensive.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:12 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Dan! Sounds like the lightness of the rear was it.

Normally I wouldn't worry about the deductible, but it had to be extremely high with this car due to the corporate insurance policy (plus the at fault party never even got out of the car to see if my wife was okay).
Old 05-24-2007, 11:39 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my understanding your own policy (under insured coverage) will kick in when the other party is under insured
no need for small claim court.
you pay for your insurence to avoid those hassle.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:41 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pl
my understanding your own policy (under insured coverage) will kick in when the other party is under insured
True, but you are responsible for the deductible. In this case, it is $1500, not including the medical bill co-pays. If the insurance company was able to subrogate the amount of the repairs, then I would get the deductible back, but that won't be happening in this case.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:23 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to charge for the diminished value of the car after an accident. This could be substantial.

As far as minimal insurance coverage is concerned, if the person doesn't have assets, why should they care? Without money, they are lawsuit-proof.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:28 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MichaelL
Don't forget to charge for the diminished value of the car after an accident. This could be substantial.
Luckily that isn't on my dime--although I have thought that for the right price I would buy it at the end of my time with her. I will have spent more time waiting for this car than time actually being able to drive it (6 months for build, and 2 months here--gets returned by 9,000 miles).

Originally Posted by MichaelL
As far as minimal insurance coverage is concerned, if the person doesn't have assets, why should they care? Without money, they are lawsuit-proof.
Very good point. Doubtful that anything will come of it. Depending on the reaction after first contact will set the tone of things to come.

Quick Reply: 997 Cab Roll Bar Deployment