Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSDS

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007 | 05:10 PM
abregov
Track Day

Default PSDS

Just got back from two days at Porsche Sport Driving School in Alabama. Just one thing to tell all you guys. GO! If you have to beg, borrow or steal (just kidding) to pay the way, do it. You think you know how to drive, and you think you know what your car is capable of, but man are you way off.

It is a first class operation, beautiful track and facilities, and nice, helpful and extremely qualified instructors. I am already planning to attend the Masters two day program. This is the most fun you can have with your cloths on. It was a great time, and worth every cent.
Old 05-20-2007 | 06:43 PM
birdman
Instructor

Your assessment is spot-on!
The entire program is first class.
My first Masters was last month and plan attending another Masters before the end of the year.
Perhaps I'll see you there!
Old 05-21-2007 | 12:10 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

I plan on going but one question. I'm wondering if you had the time would you be better off scheduling it so you do the 2 day and masters back to back? 4 days of seat time and no time to forget what you learned while waiting to go back for the masters.
Old 05-21-2007 | 12:24 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Nice... I'm doing the one-day event on July 25. I know the two-day event is the best move but between work and the baby I just can't do it. I hope the one-day event is still good.
Old 05-21-2007 | 05:53 AM
Dr 997
Racer

I know this was asked in previous threads, but now that more people have done the PDE, does anyone know the difference between this and the Skip Barber course? If Skip's course is as good, then I'd rather do that, since it's only 30 minutes from where I live...

Jimmy
Old 05-21-2007 | 09:56 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There is NO comparison between the Skip Barber course and PDE.
You will be glad and not regret that you chose PDE.

Old 05-21-2007 | 02:17 PM
abregov
Track Day

I do not know much about the Skip Barber course. But PDE (name changed to PSDS now) is all Porsche. I do not know what you get to drive at the Skip Barber course, but at PSDS you get to drive all the Porsches, Carrera, Carrera S, Cayman S, Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayenne S. I liked the two day course, and if you could plan a Master's course back to back, that would be great. I was just limited on time with family and work commitments. But I am going back for the Master's course for sure.
Old 05-21-2007 | 02:39 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by E55AMG
I plan on going but one question. I'm wondering if you had the time would you be better off scheduling it so you do the 2 day and masters back to back? 4 days of seat time and no time to forget what you learned while waiting to go back for the masters.
IMO, that would be a great way to do it if time and money are not a problem.
Old 05-21-2007 | 02:50 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

I have participated in both the Skip Barber and PDE. As others mentioned, there is no comparison. The PDE is first class, well managed with great instructors. Skip Barber was good but clearly not at the same level. Granted the PDE was 3X the price but well worth it. It was a great experience in many ways.
Old 05-21-2007 | 11:50 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

I attended a two day PDE in Birmingham a year ago last March and over the years have attended various high performance driving schools offered by Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant and Jim Russell.

I agree that PDE is an excellent, first class program and great fun but must respectfully disagree that it is the best way to learn high performance driving skills.

At first I enjoyed the “follow the leader” teaching style at PDE but it soon got old. Contrary to what we were told in the opening classroom session, you will not be allowed to drive as fast as you want on the race track as there is always an instructor in front of you to slow you down.

Also, PDE does not allow for any timing of laps on the race track, timing is only allowed on the autocross course held in a parking lot and on the skid pad. I learned the most at schools that allowed us to push it to the limit and measure our progress by timing laps on the race track.
Old 05-21-2007 | 11:55 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Pugnacious,

How do the other schools you mentioned compare? Do you have a favorite?
Old 05-22-2007 | 02:44 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
I attended a two day PDE in Birmingham a year ago last March and over the years have attended various high performance driving schools offered by Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant and Jim Russell.

I agree that PDE is an excellent, first class program and great fun but must respectfully disagree that it is the best way to learn high performance driving skills.

At first I enjoyed the “follow the leader” teaching style at PDE but it soon got old. Contrary to what we were told in the opening classroom session, you will not be allowed to drive as fast as you want on the race track as there is always an instructor in front of you to slow you down.

Also, PDE does not allow for any timing of laps on the race track, timing is only allowed on the autocross course held in a parking lot and on the skid pad. I learned the most at schools that allowed us to push it to the limit and measure our progress by timing laps on the race track.
I thought that "follow the leader" worked well for my PDE. I agree, we were not be able drive 9/10 or 10/10, but at my level I never felt like the instructors were keeping our speeds low. I think the instructor's speed is probably a function of the slowest car in the train. Fortunately for me, we had a fast group of guys with prior DE experience.

I wonder what the folks who have done the Masters think?
Old 05-22-2007 | 10:04 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Keep in mind that PDE is not a "racing school". The intro course is designed for all.
Lead and follow works very well...Barber is a very technical, daunting track to drive, with many fall away blind entry corners.
Even with lead /follow disaster can strike...first session lead follow at a Masters earlier this year had a mid pack student have an off, and totaled a 997 slapping a wall.
My last Masters, last month was in a group of 3, and we were flying around the track catching up to and passing other run groups with some off line passing at times.
It's all good...attend you will be glad that you did
Old 05-22-2007 | 02:36 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
I learned the most at schools that allowed us to push it to the limit and measure our progress by timing laps on the race track.
Exactly why, in my opinion, doing DE's with your local Porsche club region is a better experience than you can get at one of these expensive follow-the-leader programs. The only way to know where your car's limit is (and your own as well) is to exceed it occasionally. PSDS ensures that you won't do that. If you want to learn to get around a track as fast as your skills and car will allow in a timed event, a PCA DE is what you want (and they are cheap).
Old 05-22-2007 | 08:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911Dave
If you want to learn to get around a track as fast as your skills and car will allow in a timed event, a PCA DE is what you want (and they are cheap).
A PCA DE is NOT timed event.

Quick Reply: PSDS