Sponsored by:

Slow Clock finally fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Mine loses time as well.

I wish I didn't have to take the stupid TV screen.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Nav. and the time does not adjust automatically. I even ask the dealer and they said no. If it would adjust via GPS you would not have to manually do it when Daylight Savings Time Begins also it would adjust by it's self if you drive to different state that has a different time zone. My cell phone does but not my Porsche.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatara
I have the Nav. and the time does not adjust automatically. I even ask the dealer and they said no. If it would adjust via GPS you would not have to manually do it when Daylight Savings Time Begins also it would adjust by it's self if you drive to different state that has a different time zone. My cell phone does but not my Porsche.
I respectfully dissagree drmatra, despite hearing the same line of logic before, so........

....when I backed my car from it's winter storage garage this spring it was funny watching the clock in the instrument pod self-ajust to accurate time once the NAV's GPS reconnected with satalite service.....
However the time readout in the "TV screen" stayed incorrect and mismatched from the pod readout until I actually drove my car down the street, then it to self-corrected matching the instrument pod's readout.

Maybe I was just seeing things, cuz I was so happy having my car out of winter hibernation....

Just to confuse the logic of full GPS time alignment....Yes I did have to readjust for daylight saving time!!! Those damn Germans!!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Well Peter, I'm just going to have to take the Nav out of your car when you're not looking and swap it with my non-nav PCM screen thing.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:44 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Well Peter, I'm just going to have to take the Nav out of your car when you're not looking and swap it with my non-nav PCM screen thing.
On the next tech line session at Calabogie??....... just tell me it's part of the Rennsport's NEW tech

Old 05-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My time is spot on with WWV,--thanks to the GPS. Make no mistake, it is updating the clock. There is no way such a clock would stay that accurate without such updates.

Think about time zones. They are artificial, man made. And they are contrived. The GPS will not dictate hours to you, but it will keep minutes and seconds precise.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Just so I'm understanding this, ....
radio signal time alignment will change for daylight savings time adjustment, and satellite will not?

That would explain why cell phones, home clocks, weather stations etc with radio control will adjust automatically the hour differential and my car won't...

Either that or as in my post #18...."those damn Germans!!"
Old 05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Just so I'm understanding this, ....
radio signal time alignment will change for daylight savings time adjustment, and satellite will not?

That would explain why cell phones, home clocks, weather stations etc with radio control will adjust automatically the hour differential and my car won't...

Either that or as in my post #18...."those damn Germans!!"
The nav system will not adjust for DST. Why should it. Perhaps you live in Arizona, where they don't observe DST. The constellation of satellites that make up "GPS" are all running off GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). It's up to you to select your "time zone."
Old 05-18-2007, 06:12 PM
drmatara
Pro

The way I look at it is, if it triangulates and it knows exactly your location LAT and LOG, what’s so hard for the system to know exactly in which time zone you are driving and adjust the clock accordingly? It is also interesting that the clock is kept accurate by the GPS satellites. I did ask the dealer and they said NO. Does the manual states anywhere that fact? I’ll keep an eye on the clock to see if it is accurate or not. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:24 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The receiver certainly could adjust for timezone and even DST but that would cost more I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System
The section at the bottom talks about GPS and its time function.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The way I look at it is, if it triangulates and it knows exactly your location LAT and LOG, what’s so hard for the system to know exactly in which time zone you are driving and adjust the clock accordingly? It is also interesting that the clock is kept accurate by the GPS satellites. I did ask the dealer and they said NO. Does the manual states anywhere that fact? I’ll keep an eye on the clock to see if it is accurate or not. Thanks for the info guys.

No dealer will know this. They know very little. They say "no" even if they don't know the answer. (Must be Porsche training).

The manual will not state it. Where I learned this was on Rennlist, from the early buyers of these cars. There have been complaints for some time about the lousy time keeping of the factory clocks,--without navigation input. Those with nav inputs keep the best time. Sounds like a correlation to me.

They never bothered to write additional code that would sort out WHERE you are so that the proper time is plugged in as you travel. It would be more code for very little gain. Keep in mind that most of their software was written by Europeans who have very little sense of traveling through time zones which is commonplace in America. Over there, everything is pretty much Central European Time.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:50 PM
drmatara
Pro

Dan , I did check the the clock and as you said it's pretty darn accurate. +/- few seconds so like you said I guess it works perfectly minus the time zone and DST. but that's ok. Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Slow Clock finally fixed!